style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5567 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

A friend of mine purchased an acer laptop from these people about 5 months ago, as they have a shop near us, and the laptop had developed some serious faults.

She got me to look it over (I work as an IT tech) and it just will not run off the battery, it shows fully charged, but as soon as you unplug it, all power cuts out, the BIOS also will not keep time, could just be the bios battery, but the way it behaves I suspect the motherboard is shot, and told her basicly that its a write off (it is only a £350 laptop).

So, I go back to the shop with her, and after nearly getting into a shouting match with the guy behind the counter I got them to take it back (they wanted her to arrange direct with Acer untill I reminded them of thier duties)...they said they would arrange for it to go back to Acer for repair/replacement. Fine.

Now fast forward 2 weeks, she called Acer, who had no record of the laptop return, so she called Laptoss direct back, who insisted that Acer have it, about 5 calls back and forth and the truth finally emerged that it's sat in Laptopsdirect's own "service dept" and they say they cannot figure out what is wrong with it, (suprise suprise - its faulty beyond repair, I already told them that) it never even got back to Acer.

But still they would not listen, and insited they were still investigating.

Now we are almost at the 28 day threashold and nothing appears to have been done, so I advised her she will be entitled to a replacement once the time is up.

What is the best way to go about this? can we just walk into the shop and camp untill they hand over the goods? or is a recorded letter threatening legal action they way to go? refund or repacement does not matter she just needs to get a new one ASAP for her work.

Is it worth me writing an engineers report stating my opinions?

I know they will put up a fight from thier previous attitude, so I want to be in a position where I can simply demand an immediate replacement/refund for her with minimal fuss...

Thanks for any advice :)

Hi, quick update, they have offered a refurbed sony vaio (better spec), or full cash back - but knowing how flakey sony laptops can be, I told her to go for the cash, as she can get a same/slightly better spec brand new Asus or Tosh for the money....a brand new does not come with the exchange/refurb baggage if it were to go wrong.

FYI

Edited by MATTYFEZ