Harrassment from Link Financial

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am at my wits end. I hope someone in the community can help.

I had a debt with Lloyds TSB, a personal loan, over 8 years ago that I was struggling to pay. So I put this, together with lots of other debts, into a Debt Management Programme with Gregory Pennington. In 2004, I received a lump sum of money from a property sale and was able to settle all my debts, in full and final settlement, satisfactorily through Gregory Pennington, including the above.

In 2006, I receive a Letter from Link Financial stating that they were now the new owners of my debt to Lloyds TSB...and that I had an outstanding balance which should be settled with them. I was of course horrified and absolutely distraught having 2 years previously cleared everything satisfactorily.

My immediate reaction was to assume a c*ck up by Gregory Pennington and subsequently contacted them immediately. They were as shocked as I was and were able to provide details that the cheque had been paid to Southern Bell (the owners of the debt at the time of settlement) in full and final settlement. I had written correspondence confirming all of this at the time, Link liaised with G.P...and the matter was completely cleared up. I received written confirmation at the time of this. Unfortunately I did not retain it, I threw it away only months ago when I moved jobs.

I did not make a complaint at the time as I accepted that mistakes can happen. However, I was extremely distressed with the whole affair.

Now...as I am in the middle of a mortgage application, I today receive the exact same letter that I received in 2006, as if the case hadn't happened.

I spoke to them immediately, and it was just a shambles really. They have all the correspondence from the last time in front of them. The first person said "I can't understand why we would still have this open!", the second tried to claim that there was information missing. They have a copy of the cheque that was sent to Southern Bell and a note on their file from a former employee stating that they had spoken to Gregory Pennington and confirmed they had made full and final settlement to Southern Bell and that the cheque was cashed.

I am absolutely in bits. I have been shaking like a leaf and in tears all morning, in fear that this could ruin our property sale as a result of incompetence.

I simply don't know what to do. I have the name of the manager at Link Financial and his number to call on Monday...but I fear that this might not resolve the matter, having dealt with them previously, it took weeks and weeks.

I wish to complain about this, but I don't know what to do.

Laura

Hello Laura. Firstly, the letters you are receiving from Link Financial will not affect your mortgage application in any way so don't worry. As for the Harassment, there is a letter you can send them which should put a stop to them sending you any more worthless letters. I am sure a poster with a lot more knowledge on this matter will advise you accordingly. Keep in mind it is Valentines day, some posters will be romancing, so there may be a slight delay before you get a response.

I am at my wits end. I hope someone in the community can help.

I had a debt with Lloyds TSB, a personal loan, over 8 years ago that I was struggling to pay. So I put this, together with lots of other debts, into a Debt Management Programme with Gregory Pennington. In 2004, I received a lump sum of money from a property sale and was able to settle all my debts, in full and final settlement, satisfactorily through Gregory Pennington, including the above.

In 2006, I receive a Letter from Link Financial stating that they were now the new owners of my debt to Lloyds TSB...and that I had an outstanding balance which should be settled with them. I was of course horrified and absolutely distraught having 2 years previously cleared everything satisfactorily.

My immediate reaction was to assume a c*ck up by Gregory Pennington and subsequently contacted them immediately. They were as shocked as I was and were able to provide details that the cheque had been paid to Southern Bell (the owners of the debt at the time of settlement) in full and final settlement. I had written correspondence confirming all of this at the time, Link liaised with G.P...and the matter was completely cleared up. I received written confirmation at the time of this. Unfortunately I did not retain it, I threw it away only months ago when I moved jobs.

I did not make a complaint at the time as I accepted that mistakes can happen. However, I was extremely distressed with the whole affair.

Now...as I am in the middle of a mortgage application, I today receive the exact same letter that I received in 2006, as if the case hadn't happened.

I spoke to them immediately, and it was just a shambles really. They have all the correspondence from the last time in front of them. The first person said "I can't understand why we would still have this open!", the second tried to claim that there was information missing. They have a copy of the cheque that was sent to Southern Bell and a note on their file from a former employee stating that they had spoken to Gregory Pennington and confirmed they had made full and final settlement to Southern Bell and that the cheque was cashed.

I am absolutely in bits. I have been shaking like a leaf and in tears all morning, in fear that this could ruin our property sale as a result of incompetence.

I simply don't know what to do. I have the name of the manager at Link Financial and his number to call on Monday...but I fear that this might not resolve the matter, having dealt with them previously, it took weeks and weeks.

I wish to complain about this, but I don't know what to do.

Laura

Send them the following letter;

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

**Edit to suit**

Remember, don’t sign the letter.

Thank you so much to both of you who have replied already, especially considering the day. I'm afraid my Valentines Day is a lost cause this year courtesy of the lovely Link Financial!

I really am relieved to hear that it won't affect my mortgage application, but I haven't stopped worrying just yet. There is no record of it on my credit file (as I ordered this today), but I wasn't sure if it affected my score in some way as this seems to have dropped by 100 points mysteriously - I have no missed payments or additional accounts with a chequered history since I last ran it. I will query this with Equifax on Monday though, perhaps they can shed light on this.

Thank you for the letter template. I will use this following and in confirmation of my final attempt to speak to them on Monday.

I am tempted to sue for the distress this has caused my whole family but frankly with a house purchase imminently I have enough on my plate.

One final thing...you say not to sign the letter, can I just clarify the reason for this...

Laura