Plse Advise - Will I Be Eligible For Jsa If My Ib Is Stopped?

Runswickbay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5589 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I worked for the same firm for 28 years but it closed. After that I started to work on an "as and when" basis for people I knew) but because I wanted to keep my NI contributions up to date when the firm closed down I had to register as self employed. I worked an odd few weeks here and there. Over the last 17 months I've lost some sight in one eye (my retina is damaged) due to an angiogram and also had open heart surgery, my sister died before my surgery and my mother in law died shortly afterwards - both from cancer, so I didn't even consider work for a few months, nor did I claim any benefit during the time I was physically unable to work. I've stopped driving because I daren't now because of the loss of vision. After the pain of the surgery had subsided I started to feel anxious and panicky and it worsened. The upshot is that my GP has diagnosed anxiety and depression. I am now claiming incapacity benefit. I saw a counsellor two weeks ago and unburdened a lot of things which were going in my head and have to say that I felt a bit brighter after the session but I don't feel I'm quite ready, at the moment, to go out and put myself forward for another job. I had a medical assessment two weeks ago but I was wondering, after reading about so many people being given negative reports, if the report on me is negative and they stop my IB can I go and claim JSA? I sell my unwanted items on ebay as a hobby but if I was to be awarded JSA would anything I get from my sales be taken into account. I don't make much, most things sell for under £5 and it's not on a big scale - just two or three items over a fortnight. Any advice would be much appreciated. Are you allowed to earn anything if you're claiming IB or JSA. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

JSA is income tested-all income has to be declared. First £5 a week is ignored. Earning anything over £5 would result in a reduction in JSA on a pound for pound basis.

IB is not income tested. You can work and earn when in receipt of IB although some jobs can lead to questions, for example if a claimant with a bad back starts to work as rugby coach.

Check out helpful links at http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/125283-useful-links.html#post1309826

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Actually there is contribution based JSA as well, for people who qualify, as well as a means tested version for those who don't.

Also whilst you can do some permitted work while on IB there are stringent limitations. It's not income tested, but that doesn't mean you can work while on it. The only thing completely ignored is volunteer work.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.