Ernest Jones Repair

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my wife put her engagement ring in to ernest jones (we purchased it from there) for a quote for repair. Its came back as £135, which we thought was very expensive so today we went to collect it.

When we did they tried to charge us £45, when questioned the lady told us this was for the repair, when we told her it did not get done she said there was no charge.

We later returned to the store to question this and were told the cost of the repair was £45 for getting the work done by a 3rd party, but would charge us £135 for going through them

Can they do this is seems extortionate, not to mention they did not inform us of this

sorry we purchased our weeding and engagement rings from EJ over the past 2 years.

Last week we put my wifes engagement ring in to get a quote for repair (one of the clasps were broke that holds the diamond)

They called on friday to say the cost of the repair would be £135 which we thought was expensive, so we said dont do it and we will pick the ring up

We did that yesterday and they tried to charge us £45, when questioned what this was for they said it was for the repair. we told them iit did not get done, so they said oh ok here you go.

We questioned them again why it was £45 and not £135 like we were told over the phone. The lady went and got the manager, she said there had been a mistake and the £45 was the charge to fix the ring (i.e what the jewler person charges them to did it) they wanted to charge us £135 basically £95 for giving it to a 3rd party to fix it.

CAN THEY DO THIS

They did not tell us this when getting the quote, and i am certain if we had gotten it done they would not have said anything. Surley this is misleading as they say the cost of the repair is £135 and thats not true

Right, so you left it with them for them to quote for it. I see.

Given that there is no charge for the quote, then they cannot charge you anything so far.

If given a quote, it should detail what the charges are for - parts, labour etc. So whether they can do this really depends on the T&Cs. Personally, I would consider one of two options.

Firstly, there is the issue of whether you could have the repair as a statutory right - i.e, it was not of satisfactory quality as it should last more than 2 years. This would be down to you to prove, but cannot be used if, for example, it was damaged in an accident or something else happened that you would expect to cause the damage. The benefit is that it is free, but you have to prove the case.

Secondly, it may be simpler just to go elsewhere. If they are wanting to charge £95 simply for giving it to someone else and £45 for the actual repair, then I would suggest this is the better option.