Advice needed re; credit reports

redwham
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5614 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Have got credit reports, but trying to understand how it works.

1)If you have settled is it right that the default amount still shows on your credit report.

2) I have previously written to a company asking for information on an account on my credit file that states that I owe money, and I havent got a clue what it is, I got no answer, so is there a letter template that I can use, requesting the information??? it is a barclaycard credit card account, I dont understand as there is another one on me that states that I owe no money ( I used to have one but had paid it off) so dont know where this one comes from.

Just trying to sort everything out, as we will be needing to get a re-mortgage and what shows will make a difference as to who we can get a mortgage with, at the moment we are with south pacific, (now capstone).

Any help will be much appreciated.

thanks

Hi redwham

Firstly if you have made a full & final settlement with the creditor, providing you made it clear at the time of the settlement, it should be shown as 'satisfied' on your credit files. If it isn't suggest you contact the OC & ask them to mark your files as such. The fact that you defaulted on the debt will remain on your credit files for a period of 6 years from the date of the default after which it should drop off automatically but you need to check & inform the CRAs if it doesn't.

Secondly, if you want to see what information Barclays have on you, you need to send a SAR under the provisions of the DPA. Make sure you ask for ALL information on all accounts, including a copy of your credit agreements. (It's possible they don't have any in which case there is no enforceable debt but post back on this one if you need further help)

It costs £10.00. Send POs rather than a cheque, do not sign your letter (print or use digital signature) & mail Rec. Del.

The template is here - amend to suit you:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

They have 40 days to supply the info. From there you should be able to determine what info. is correct etc. If there are any errors, write to the CRAs, copy to Barclays & ask them to remove the info. or prove it is correct. They have to remove it by law if it is erroneous & if you 'suffered' by it (eg. couldn't get credit, mortgage etc) you're entitled to compensation.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Hi,

Thanks I will get a letter done this weekend, just wish that I had found this site earlier, nice to start feeling a bit in control and to realise not to just accept what is thrown at you.