Is this traffic light legally enforceable.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5639 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nothing to do with having received tickets etc, but this is an arguement that I've had with Newport City Council for years since they refurbished these lights.

As you can see from the photo, there are three lanes of traffic, lane three being dedicated to a right turn.

On the left hand side of the carriageway, there is a four aspect signal with the green being a straight ahead arrow and a single left turn filter below it, only lit when the green straight ahead arrow is illuminated.

On the right hand side of the carriageway they have provided two three aspect signal heads. The one on the left displays a full green aspect when lit. The set to the right of it will show a red until cars proceeding to turn right can proceed, then a green right hand arrow.

THERE IS NO INDICATION ON THE TRAFFIC LIGHTS AS TO WHICH LANES EACH OF THESE SIGNALS APPLIES TO. The junction is also fitted with red light traffic cameras.

My question would be, if I were to proceed onto the junction in order to turn right while the lights are showing as they are in the photo, have I contravened the highway code?

dscf5184xa3.jpg

w640.png

MBNA - Agreed to refund £970 in full without conditions. Cheque received Sat 5th Aug.:D

Lloyds - Settled for an undisclosed sum.:D

Problem is, that the red signal referred to in reg 36a.

(a) subject to sub-paragraph (b) and, where the red signal is shown at the same time as the green arrow signal, to sub-paragraphs (f) and (g), the red signal shall convey the prohibition that vehicular traffic shall not proceed beyond the stop line;

is contradicted in this instance by the green signal alongside it which gives me authority to proceed under reg 36d (bearing in mind the lack of reference regarding which signal applies to which particular lane)

(d) the green signal shall indicate that vehicular traffic may proceed beyond the stop line and proceed straight on or to the left or to the right;

nothwithstanding that it would appear that on the other side of the carriageway I do not have authority to proceed under reg 36g until I read 36h

(g) where more than one green arrow is affixed to light signals in accordance with regulation 34(1)(b), vehicular traffic, notwithstanding any other indication given by the signals, may proceed beyond the stop line only in the direction indicated by any one of the green arrows for the purpose of proceeding in that direction through the junction controlled by those signals; and

h) where the green arrow signal is displayed at the same time as the green signal, vehicular traffic may proceed in the direction indicated by the green arrow in accordance with sub-paragraph (g) or in any other direction in accordance with sub-paragraph (d).

Confused....

Bear in mind that I have presented to me on the approach to these lights four simulataneous traffic indications in the scenario shown above.

proceed only to turn left,

proceed only straight on

proceed in any direction when safe to do so

Do not proceed past the white line.

MBNA - Agreed to refund £970 in full without conditions. Cheque received Sat 5th Aug.:D

Lloyds - Settled for an undisclosed sum.:D

I would have thought the ahead/left and normal green should be consistent. It's clear that the red applies to the right hand lane, but the different styles of green are unnecessary.

Legally though, I don't know.

I see your point. What a mess. permanent Traffic lights Don't need a TRO but have to be 'lawfully placed' (TRSGD). The local Highways Agency may have been involved in the planning and installation so would check there. Looks like you may well have a case to me.

The logical and clear(er) signals to use here would be to also have that left hand set of the pair as a four aspect light to match the one at the left hand kerb. That way, when you are in the right hand lane it should be apparent that when the left hand set turn green, it clearly shows that you can only proceed left or straight on.

The local Highways Agency

Local Highway Authority (usually County Council).

There is only one Highways Agency - who are mainly responsible for M-ways and trunk A-roads (Oh, and the pretend traffic cops swanning about in expensive 4x4s)