Philips 50 Plasma tv model # 50PFP5332D/37-PROBLEMS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5645 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I bought a Philips 50 Plasma tv model 50PFP5332D/37 from Walmart in Feb, 2008. In May of 2007 the the TV went black, I had no picture but audio.

I called Philips who had McCann Electronics come to repair the problem. McCann said that the problem was a video board and after waitting a few weeks for the part repaired the problem.(AS I Thought)

From day one I asked Philips to replace the set with a new TV or refund, they said that was not the policy.

In August of 2007, the same thing occured again. Again, Philips had McCanns pick up the set to do the repairs. Sept, Oct, we called McCanns they told us Philips didn't send them the needed part. This time McCanns said that a capaciter was blowing out the video board.

Early November I called McCanns and they informed the part was still not there. The customer service rep from Philips said that a review board would hear our problems and determine if they could send us a new TV.

ON November 19, I was told we will be receiving a new TV in 10 to 15 business days.

December 17, 2008 I received a refurbished TV with a 90 day warranty. This TV was scratched up and you can see had been hung on someones wall.

When we turned it on, it cut off by itself and the blue light was blinking back and forth to the red light.

I immediately called Philips who informed me this time that I had to call McCanns and have them do a diagnostic on the television. McCanns informed me that they have over ten sets with the same problems we are having waitting for back order parts.

I asked Philips why they told me they would send me a new TV, when indeed this is not. My TV has been in the repair shop for at least five or six of the months I have owned it. I think they are giving me the run around until my one year warranty expires in Feb, 2009. I need your help as time is running short as to what I can do to get a quality set or a refund.

Please help me with this problem. Your assistance is greatly appreciated because this incident has made me extremely upset.:(

Are you in the UK or the US? It's just that you mention Walmart which is US based.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Sorry - not a considered response but it made me very angry.

How did you pay for it in the first place? Can you confirm the date of purchase as it is reading 2008 but you mention 2007 as when it first went wrong.

They clearly reneged on their promise to supply a new replacement - did they give it in writing?

Where is the set now?

I am sorry if my problem does not fit your forum, Thanks in advance for the help, if you decide to give me any advice.

I purchased the TV in February, 2008. From Walmart in the US. The refurbished TV is in my home. This Friday, December 19, McCanns the repair shop is coming to do a diagnostic.

Please, help as to what I can do to retrieve a new set or refund. I paid 1,700 US dollars for the TV.

Thanks again, hope to hear from you soon. Please let me know what room I need to be in as I am new.

OK Nittygirl - international recognition of this forum is appreciated but unfortunately, it seems that we only deal with UK consumer law. However, I would imagine that a warranty is a warranty is a warranty wherever you are and you now need to read the small print on the warranty document.

Nittygirl this is a UK based consumer website. I imagine that the laws in the US are slightly different to those in the UK. Having said that in the UK you would be entitled to the goods either being repaired or replaced. If neither was possible then a refund would have to be offered.

The replacement that you have been given I would suspect is unacceptable under your statute (although I don't know this as I don't know what statute applies in the US). It would certainly be unacceptable to replace a new product with a refurbished one and a reduced warranty in the UK.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Rory and Trilby274

The warranty states,

Philips will 1. either repair the product at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts, or 2. exchange the product with a product that is new or which has been manufactured new, or serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent or most comparable to the original product in Philips current inventory, or 3. refund the original purchase price of the product.

With this what and based on my situation that I explained to you what do you think I should be able to do. Or what would happen in the UK

Please help and thanks in advance.

1. either repair the product at no charge, using new or refurbished replacement parts

Well they originally tried to do this and failed.
2. exchange the product with a product that is new or which has been manufactured new, or serviceable used parts and is at least functionally equivalent or most comparable to the original product in Philips current inventory
I think that you could successfully argue that your refurbished tv, which doesn't work, that has been supplied as a replacement doesn't fall into this category.
3. refund the original purchase price of the product.

This is what I would be pushing for as there is clearly an inherent fault with the product - so even if you did get a new one it might not work either.

In the UK it would be Walmart who would have to replace, repair or refund as they sold you the goods. I don't know if this is the same in the US. Do you have advice bureau's in the US where you can go and ask about your consumer rights? If so I would go and talk to one of them.

Failing that you need to put a complaint in writing to Philips. If they don't resolve it to your satisfaction then there should be some sort of regulatory body you can go to to progress your complaint.

After taking your advice they are offering me a brand new 52 inch TV, with an extended warranty.

I requested this be sent to me in writing,(it was emailed to be today)

I have until Monday to let them know, if I will except their offer.

Things are looking up. It is because of the help the both of you have given me. Thanks, you are the greatest

Sincerely, NittyGirl

Glad you seem to have got it sorted out ;):)