Flying - can anyone help / advise?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5662 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

2 years ago I went to Iceland on honeymoon. I would love to return but basically the airlines don't accommodate me at all...

Sorry - this has turned into a bit of a long one, but if anyone out there can help I would really appreciate it.

In short - I need legroom. I also could do with a wider seat. I need to be able to go from stretching my legs out in front, to sitting crosslegged, in the space of 10 minutes. Otherwise I get unbearable pain - if not then, it comes later for several days.

I tried explaining to the airlines that if I had legroom I would not be in too much pain and I would be ok to evacuate, but if I was in a normal seat I would be in immense pain. But they insisted I count as disabled, so according to airline regs they can't let me have the "exit row" seats, which are the ones with legroom. Fair enough (although if there was a real emergency I could just get out fast and worry about consequences later!)

To go to Iceland there are three carriers - Iceland Air, Iceland Express, and BA. Iceland Express ONLY do economy seats so they were out. Iceland Express said I'd have to pay for 7 seats so they could put me on a stretcher (!) and BA said it would be fine. They noted all my needs, they appreciated I was on honeymoon and said they were sure they'd give me the seat I needed. BUT you can't prebook seats on european flights, so I would just have to get the right seats on check in.

BA really persuaded me they could accommodate me, so I booked with them.

When I got to check in - and we were very early so we were there first - I'd been allocated a seat in the middle of a row on the grounds that the seatrests moved. So they thought, somehow, this would be better for me?! I explained my needs but they said they wouldn't put me in "premium economy" (which had a bulkhead seat where I could have stretched out to my heart's content) and instead they put me at the very back of the plane on the aisle. They said this meant I could put my leg out into the aisle and I could also get up to stretch without being in the way, as often as I liked.

It was a nightmare. I couldn't get my foot in the aisle or get up to stretch without taking my seatbelt off so that meant for about 30 minutes I was in a lot of pain because that's how long it was before we could undo belts. Then, every time I sat sideways and put my legs in the aisle, a trolley had to go up and down. They went so many times! And then every time I got up to stretch someone needed to get past - cos I was right next to the toilet! I couldn't sit crosslegged due to the narrowness of the seats and the armrests in the way etc. so in all regards I was scuppered and in pain as a result.

So once I arrived on my honeymoon I rang BA (from Iceland) to ask about the trip home. They said "we never should have taken you" which I found insulting and worrying. They couldn't suggest anything. So on the way back I took very strong painkillers, which I normally only take after I've actually dislocated my knee. They suppressed the pain which made the flight just about bearable, but also meant I didn't remember to stretch enough - as a direct consequence of that, I spent several days afterwards laid up in pain at home. Also these painkillers make me throw up if I don't take them with a full meal - but I couldn't find food in the airport, and they ran out of vegetarian meals on the plane before they got to me! In the end the staff gave me their food so I wouldn't be sick on board... The on-board staff did their best but nobody else that I dealt with gave a toss.

After this I basically thought "that's it, you are disabled, you can't fly anymore".

But why the heck should I accept that?

I fell in love with Iceland and I desparately want to go back and see the rest of it.

I have looked at Iceland Air - they provide a business class with more legroom and wider seats, and also have a bulkhead seat that I could potentially prebook.

But that costs me £800 per ticket. Why should I have to pay more just because I'm disabled and can't manage in a cheaper seat? If I was not disabled I could take a cheaper seat - under £200 per ticket.

Plus my husband is not disabled, but I need him with me to help me, so we would have to spend on the extra ticket for him.

That's an extra £1200 because I'm disabled. Not fair, is it?

Well, I am so desparate to get back to Iceland, but going through the stress of trying to arrange a flight really makes me upset (and I don't get upset easily!) so I don't know what to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If it was a theatre or a shop or something they would provide the service I need at no extra cost. Trains will upgrade me if the standard class space is already taken or is not suitable. So why don't airlines provide equality for disabled people?

I even emailed Simon Caulder over this (a few years ago now) but no reply, which was disappointing.

Anyone able to offer help or advice? I am at my wits end.

Thanks for reading,

-- Flash Bristow (vampthing)

From July 26 2007 it would be now illegal for airlines to refuse a booking from disabled passengers flying within Europe because of their disability. The trouble is Iceland is not in the European Union, so does not have to comply with this law.

A second stage of the regulation, which is introduced in July 2008, will make it illegal for airlines to charge passengers for assistance and use of a wheelchair when boarding and disembarking and to charge for the use of extra seats by disabled passengers.

The definition of disability according to the regulations is:

“a disabled person or person with reduced mobility means any person whose mobility when using transport is reduced due to any physical disability (sensory or locomotor, permanent or temporary), intellectual disability or impairment, or any other cause of disability, or age, and whose situation needs appropriate attention and the adaptation to his or her particular needs of the service made available to all passengers”

A loophole in the legislationis the power of Pilots, to refuse boarding on grounds of “health and safety” may also mean the new regulations are useless. Airlines should allow you to choose the seat most suitable for your needs. However, people with reduced mobility are not allowed to sit in seats where they may obstruct access to emergency exits.

If you have any medical needs, the airline may ask you to complete an Incapacitated Passengers Handling Advice (INCAD) form and/or a Medical Information Form (MEDIF). These are standard forms used by many airlines to help staff organise any assistance or equipment you may need during your journey and to decide whether you are fit to fly. With some airlines, the INCAD and MEDIF are two parts of the same form.

You can fill in the INCAD form yourself, but the MEDIF form must be completed by your doctor.

Most people do not have to fill in the MEDIF form, or apply for medical clearance to fly through any other procedure the airline may have. This includes people who have stable, long-term disabilities and medical conditions.

You should contact the airline and discuss your disability or medical condition with them even if your doctor says you are fit to fly, as different airlines have different policies about carrying disabled passengers and people with medical conditions. The airline will be able to give you any forms they require you to complete. You can also get these forms from some travel agents.

The MEDIF and INCAD forms only last for one journey. If you are a frequent traveller, you can get a Frequent Traveller Medical Card (FREMEC). This is available from many airlines and gives the airline a permanent record of your specific needs. This means you won’t have to fill in a form and make special arrangements every time you fly. Before you travel with a different airline from the one that issued your FREMEC card, you should check that they will accept it.

You should complain to the airline or airport operator in the first instance to resolve a complaint. If the problem is not resolved, passengers whose flights were departing from England, Scotland and Wales should contact the Equality and Human Rights Commission for further advice.

Equality and Human Rights Commission

Telephone: 0845 604 6610 (0845 604 6620 for textphone)

Also have a look here at their website for more information:

Air travel

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I know it doesnt really solve your flight problem , but have you considered taking the ferry rather than flying?

I know its a longer journey but if the object is to get to iceland.....

just a thought.

Please dont think I am siding with the airlines because I am not - just offering a possible alternative :)

Thank you so much for the detailed and quick response! Lots of things there for me to look into, I really appreciate it.

Regarding the legal requirement in the EU (and yes, I know Iceland is in the EEA but not the EU itself) - what law or legislation is that? I am very familiar with the UK's DDA but perhaps there is EU legislation that I don't know about?

I'm sure I'm "fit to fly" - I can stand and I can walk a bit, and I can even manage steps if I really have to. I avoid doing these things because they will cause pain later on, but if there was an emergency I would just move and then worry about the pain later on! So I can't see myself being refused as fit to fly - even though I don't know what the requirements are - because in extremis I am not too bad. But day to day I need to take care of myself and use wheelchair / avoid stairs / reduce walking, in order to make sure I can cope tomorrow... and tomorrow... etc.

Given that the point of a flight is to go on holiday, I need to reduce my pain as much as possible, and to reduce my walking etc as much as possible too, so I will not be in too much pain for the following days.

It's quite hard to explain that concept to service providers :(

I will definitely read everything you suggest and learn about the forms etc. that could be necessary.

Do you think it's worth complaining to BA about the honeymoon flight? Do you think if I did, they would find a way to accommodate me in future (e.g. giving me the bulkhead seat that they have in premium economy) or do you think that would be a waste of my time and energy?

Ideally I'd like the seat that I need - and it's a need, I'm not trying to get freebies! - at the same price that I'd pay if I was physically able to travel economy. That's all I want. I just don't know how to get it. :(

Thanks so much again for the helpful reply.

The EU Legislation is Under the new Equality and Human Rights Commission guidelines, found in the link in post 2.

It is worth talking to BA about the flight, and any future ones you have planned, they may be able to help.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I know it doesnt really solve your flight problem , but have you considered taking the ferry rather than flying?

I did consider that but unfortunately it takes ages (several days I think), I get seasick (and it's reported to be quite rough across the atlantic) and also I have a phobia of water. I know it's irrational and I've tried to deal with it, but basically I'm afraid I don't get on a boat!

Plus we'd have to fly to get to the Faroes to board the ferry...!

I have tried to consider alternatives, but thanks for the thought :)