Harassment by MBNA

steven4064
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4359 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Curcumference.

Is it possible for you to post up your letter from them? Of course removing any personal information.

It may be useful to others for ammunition, so to speak.

What sort of amount are we looking at 100's or 1000's?

Hope you don't mind me asking :)

Wow what a thread, and i thought i was the only one getting phone calls from these muppets..

sent a letter of harrassment last week and calls have stopped..

just a tip though when sending letters send them via "Special Delivery" this way a person signs for YOUR letter(and more chance of it being seen) not just a sack full of recorded ones

now i'm just waiting for the CCA to arrive then the fun begins

thanks for reading

Hi Lambchop,

If you have only just started on here, I think you will find 'recorded delivery' more than sufficient, you can get proof of the post office website and if they have done their job properly there should also be a copy of the signature which you can print for a fraction of the cost.

'Special Delivery' IMO is for guaranteed tracked delivery of items of value, which you can specify at the post office. Not really required just for a letter.

Thanks for that Dotty,just wanted to make sure it was read rather than dumpt in sack in the corner...........

waiting for more calls and crap of them.all good fun,got it into my head now that it's a game i'm playing with them that way it don't get to stressful..

we are here but once, so don't waste a minuet

Hi

I'm new to this but I have a number of debts and not just to mbna, however mbna are doing my nut in I had 3 calls yesterday and 4 calls today I didn't answer 3 then spoke to someone called Kate who ever so unhelpful and basically told me that they were'nt harrasing me - despite leaving 2 messages with a work colleague saying it was a "personal call" and I told them not to call me between 9-5.30 ie my working hours and she said they can't not do that I did quote that it was in breach of office fairtrading guildlines on telephone calling debt collection she basically told me she didn't care and that despite me struggling financially I have to pay. I made an offer pay £50 then remainder end of feb but its not good enough they wanted £124 today which frankly I don't have. She then started asking about family or friends who could help frankly my parents are not well off and my friends are also struggling financially!

I came across this forum when I googled mbna and I'm glad I did I'm going to send off a letter and also do cca request and see what happens but today was the 2nd time I asked them to stop calling me!

flaming fools :mad:

Just got a reply back from my "harassment" letter saying they are investigating my complaint and sent me their "Internal complaint procedure"

signed by "Gail Powell vice president"

still waiting for my SAR request

some of the calls you'll get WILL be very harsh and totaly ruthless to say the least..

we are here but once, so don't waste a minuet

Hi

I'm new to this but I have a number of debts and not just to mbna, however mbna are doing my nut in I had 3 calls yesterday and 4 calls today I didn't answer 3 then spoke to someone called Kate who ever so unhelpful and basically told me that they were'nt harrasing me - despite leaving 2 messages with a work colleague saying it was a "personal call" and I told them not to call me between 9-5.30 ie my working hours and she said they can't not do that I did quote that it was in breach of office fairtrading guildlines on telephone calling debt collection she basically told me she didn't care and that despite me struggling financially I have to pay. I made an offer pay £50 then remainder end of feb but its not good enough they wanted £124 today which frankly I don't have. She then started asking about family or friends who could help frankly my parents are not well off and my friends are also struggling financially!

I came across this forum when I googled mbna and I'm glad I did I'm going to send off a letter and also do cca request and see what happens but today was the 2nd time I asked them to stop calling me!

flaming fools :mad:

Do not speak to them on the phone, send harrasement letter, also CCA request, if ater 14 days not received response they are in default then do not pay them until they produce the usual crap no doubt,others wiil be along to advise further.

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

Hi All

This is my first post so please be gentle with me....

Here is my story..

Just over a year ago, my firm stopped all bonuses, shift premiums and overtime. This action cost me nearly £1000 a month. I called MBNA and explained the situation. I was met with what I felt was outright hostility. I paid a reduced amount at the end of the month and then the calls started. First I had a call at home in the evening, I explained the situation again but the guy didn't speak English very well and didn't understand. The next day I was called twice. After that I posed as my son and said that I was not in, and I would get myself to call them back later. That was on the Friday. On the Monday the calls started at work. I took 3 calls and all three times said that I was not available to talk at this time. On Monday evening, when I arrived home, I had a postcard stating that someone would call at 19:00. This upset my wife as she thought that this meant that someone was coming to the house. The phone rang at exactly 19:00. I explained the situation again and closed the call. Tuesday I had 4 calls at work. I went to the girl on the switchboard and explained to her that I was being harassed, she agreed to filter the calls. In all I was called every day for weeks, I had threatening letters sent to my home and to my work. One caller who got through was told that I was working outside the UK and would not be home for 3 months. All this time I kept up a reduced payment each month. I then started to get call on my company mobile, these I found very difficult to filter as the number would often change. I had a call from an Indian, who when told that I was working away shouted down the phone " I WANT TO SPEAK XXXXXX XXXXXX NOW! HE THERE, HE THERE!". His bad English, not mine. After 6 months or so, I took a call from a chap while at work who was not Indian and therefore beat my adhoc filtering system. I again explained the situation and he said that taking a second mortgage might solve the issue! This I rejected. Suddenly all the calls and the postcards stopped. I had a letter from MBNA stating that they would settle for 30% of the debt and that no further action would be taken. I agreed to this and made them put in writing full details of the new agreement. Once I had received this I made the payment by cheque. I then had a letter stating that the debt was no longer in place and that an agreement of "part settlement" had been reached. I have heard nothing from them since. I believe that you have to be as hard faced as them and to hold your ground. Over the years I paid many times the debt in interest, to me this was a good result, but the stress was enormous!

Whilst we'd all love to believe your story......... MBNA never settling in full pre assignment.

Perhaps you would like to let the rest of the forum in on your secret?

Gez

It seems to be standard practice that MBNA offer a partial settlement before defaulting.

They're still likely to sell the account on though, and its not going to look good on the creditor's credit file.

Unless you can get in writing that neither MBNA nor any future creditors will seek to collect payment in the future its pointless.

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

I'm sure this has been discussed on various threads before, but I think it is high time that we all get together and bring some class action law suit against MBNA - they are not a bank at all, they behave like criminals so let's treat them as such and haul their backsides into court to face the music.

I'm still battling with them. They sold my account to CapQuest as soon as my firm but legalese letter hit them telling them I will not bow down to them as I believe my agreement to be unenforceable. CapQuest chased me, so I told them they shouldn't be chasing whilst the account is in dispute. They went back to MBNA for "investigation" then came back with a load of statements and said that as I used the card I must pay up -- muppets. So now I've yet again told them to p*** off and am now waiting to see what happens. I hate MBNA with a passion. If I had won the lotter last Friday I would have been taking them to court by now, I'd have spent a million just to cause them trouble!

I wonder if MBNA are the new Enron :roll:

I'm sure this has been discussed on various threads before, but I think it is high time that we all get together and bring some class action law suit against MBNA - they are not a bank at all, they behave like criminals so let's treat them as such and haul their backsides into court to face the music.

I'm still battling with them. They sold my account to CapQuest as soon as my firm but legalese letter hit them telling them I will not bow down to them as I believe my agreement to be unenforceable. CapQuest chased me, so I told them they shouldn't be chasing whilst the account is in dispute. They went back to MBNA for "investigation" then came back with a load of statements and said that as I used the card I must pay up -- muppets. So now I've yet again told them to p*** off and am now waiting to see what happens. I hate MBNA with a passion. If I had won the lotter last Friday I would have been taking them to court by now, I'd have spent a million just to cause them trouble!

Agree whole heartedly Fleeced!

No law which allows class actions in the UK unfortunately :(

Not sure about that, I think we can but we don't do it.......UK firms gear up as class action culture hits Europe | News | The Lawyer and http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/nov/15/consumers-given-class-action-powers

I think that when something like this is mentioned in the queens speech it means that there is the possibiliity of parliament considering a new law.

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

Yeh quite possibly Haggis, so it may not see the light of day and a few lobyist from the banking sector are most likely going to try to scupper it.

Although....UK businesses braced for class action suits after BA and Virgin pay out $200m - Business News, Business - The Independent -- quote "The legal framework in the UK does not allow for US style class-action suits. However the Civil Justice Council is leading an "extensive lobbying campaign" to push through changes to UK rules to facilitate more robust "collective actions" to allow consumers to recover damages from large-scale fraudulent or cartel behaviour"

I think there are also "group actions" which can be brought but they are pretty messy I think.

Yeh quite possibly Haggis, so it may not see the light of day and a few lobyist from the banking sector are most likely going to try to scupper it.

Although....UK businesses braced for class action suits after BA and Virgin pay out $200m - Business News, Business - The Independent -- quote "The legal framework in the UK does not allow for US style class-action suits. However the Civil Justice Council is leading an "extensive lobbying campaign" to push through changes to UK rules to facilitate more robust "collective actions" to allow consumers to recover damages from large-scale fraudulent or cartel behaviour"

I think there are also "group actions" which can be brought but they are pretty messy I think.

Yeah Ive heard of group actions, but I think theres a limit to the number of claimants.

Hopefully the Civil Justice Council is lobbying hard!

• 3 months later...

Over the last three days, I have had MBNA calling continuously. I had been getting several calls from them a day fromm their 08 number, but from Tuesday, they have started using mobile phone numbers. I missed a call on Tuesday and they called back 6 times in half an hour. This morning, the phone went at 8.15am - I was busy with my son, so ignored it. As soon as my phone went to voicemail, they called straight back, a total of four times in three minutes! When I answered the fifth call, I was certainly unimpressed and told the woman that under no circumstances was it acceptable to call so many times and that I have told them before that I will not deal with the matter over the phone and to contact me in writing. I then hung up. Guess what? She rang right back, so I rejected the call, she rang again a further 3 times! I have added the number to the auto-reject list on my phone, so I can still see when and how often they call, but they get put straight through to voicemail.

Just thought I'd share my experience with MBNA harrassment.

Woozel 1 - DCA 0

That's a good idea - all of the calls are logged on my mobile - thankfully that's the only number they've got. I was getting calls at work, with them giving details to colleagues! But I soon got that stopped.

I will certainly start a document on the lappy and copy down all the calls and times etc.

I also wondered if anyone else has had experience of them calling from what shows up as a mobile number? Very sneaky of them, but I can see why they would do it, since many people won't answer a non-geographical number.

Woozel 1 - DCA 0

Yeh I got a few calls from mobile numbers which they normally use so that it doesn't look like it is MBNA. A few of their numpty telephone "tough guys" left me messages on voicemail though so I had proof it was them calling repeatedly against the OFT's guidelines.

The last one left a message sounding really hurt and said something like "I can't understand why you haven't called us back, we are trying to help you". Yeh right, f' idiot, they got me in a mess then hounded me. Anyway, I text him back saying something like "I won't call you back because you lie, cheat, threaten, and generally make a nuisence of yourselves. You are financial rapists and I'm reporting you.". I also offered to meet them personally if they wanted to act tough. They never got back to me, then sold on the debt which they are not supposed to do when the debt is disputed.

I wouldn't normally think of individuals who are just trying to earn a living as being ****, but either MBNA's training is exceptional in turning decent people into wannabe thugs or MBNA hires from the shallow end of the gene pool, IMHO.

• Haha 1

Yeah, the woman I tore strips off this morning kept saying "I want to help you if you would just give me two minutes of your time!" Ballhooks! Financial rapists :-D :-D :-D - that's funny! Might try that that next time they ring - which I'm sure they will.

Phew, glad I posted now. Have spent all day feeling right miserable because of this. I'm much happier now. Thanks f_b_r_b_o_s! :-)

Woozel 1 - DCA 0

No worries Woozel, keep your chin up, there are lots of people here who can help.

You should have seen the letters I wrote to MBNA which included the phrases "financial rapists" and other accusations of behaving like criminals, irresponsible lenders, etc. I wrote it all in such a way that it wasn't just ranting but was making my point that they are just not a decent company in any way shape or form. They are the kind of letters I would be happy to have read out in court - never know it may even make the judge chuckle if it comes to it! ;-)

You'll find that a lot of creditors and the DCA thugs they employ try every trick in the book, but if you are strong and don't let yourself be intimidated by the "telephone tough guys" then they find it much harder to make your life a misery. I call them "telephone tough guys" because at the end of the day, if they had to face any one of us in person, they would most likely have a very different attitude. It is easy to bully someone over the phone, but much like all bullies, they are really cowards. I'd really love to meet some of them in person just to have a quiet word!

I'd love to read those letters! :D

I've had dealings with DCAs before and have managed to get them to go away, but I've never had the volume of calls MBNA are making.

I was relishing the thought of sending them the Harrassment letter, and have just found that I have run out of paper! Grr! Must go shopping tomorrow. :)

Woozel 1 - DCA 0