Using a PO box

jparis
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5688 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I'm new to the forums so hello.

I set up a debt management plan, and all but one of my creditors agreed with reduced payments. To prevent the other creditor finding out my new address, can I use a PO box for my DVLA address? My car is my only asset if they decide to get funny.

Thanks

Additionally, PO Boxes are not anonymous addresses - anybody can find out the address behind a PO Box.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

And I can confirm that the DVLA DO allow PO Box addresses - as all my documentation (licence, V5 etc) have it. They say on the forms not to use them, but this is not enshrined in any law, so if this is what you want to do for your own protection they cannot stop you.

As Barracad points out, these are not anonymous - at RM will pass on the physical addresses details on written request, but they keep a record of who requests and their details.

By the way, we are talking about a genuine RM provided PO Box, NOT a similar service provided by high street firms or British Monomarks in London.

The other firms can (unless there's a court order, or a staff member discloses it) but the point I was trying to make is the the DVLA *will* accept RM PO boxes as a legitimate address. The others are not PO Boxes by definition, they are simply accommodation addresses, and as such the DVLA will refuse them as the regulations specifically prohibit this.

they are simply accommodation addresses, and as such the DVLA will refuse them as the regulations specifically prohibit this.

Do they? What regulations?

AFAIK, the only defined requirement is that you can be contacted via the address given.

No - it changed back in 84/85, and I can't remember if they said it was incorporated within the RTA. As it was explained to me at the time, many 'gentlemen drivers' provided the address of thier 'club'* which was previously allowed ss s contact address, however just like in those days many insurance policies covered only a named driver with no requirement for any registration number, this process was removed, and now anyone applying for a V5/Licence is required to provide the usual 'proofs' to confirm their address - Bank Statement, non-mobile phone, utility bill etc.

The aim now is to register vehicles only when full verifiable prrof of address is provided, this is to help those supplying fake or 'front' addresses from escaping enforcement due to incomplete or erroneous data.

As RM will disclose the physical address on request (as they verify that the applicant IS at the original address the POB service is registered to), it meets their guidelines.

*Motoring clubs - not the AA/RAC breakdown services

Edited by buzby

No - it changed back in 84/85, and I can't remember if they said it was incorporated within the RTA.

The RTA has absolutely nothing to do with vehicle registration. The relevant legislation is VERA 1994 which post-dates your dates and does not contain anything to this end.

The regulations referred to in VERA 1994 are The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002; they are silent on anything beyond "name and address".

One has to wonder if the DVLA is acting ultra vires in setting thier own procedures.

As I pointed out earlier, the change the required insurers to record vehicle registration numbers would not have been done voluntarily, some representation/consultation would have required it - as clearly the MIB database would have been pointless without it.

As to your assertion that DVLA are making it all up as they go along - well who better? If they have to have any hope at ensuring the integrity of their database (and the accuracy) I do not see that a requirement to prove that the information being supplied to them is verifiable.

The current request for the DoB of a registered keeper is a case in point, they wish to use it as an additional verifier for the RK, but they cannot force disclosure. If you are suggesting that we should all be entitled to advise DVLA that the RK is to be D. Duck (or whatever) then I cannot accept this, as this would be counter productive.

OTOH, in a TV licence application, I am indeed that person as it is the property that requires the licence to prevent it being an unlicensed address.

However back on topic, the DVLA will accept an RM POB address with bad grace, but not any other accommodation address.