decrease in hours and xmas pay!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5670 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i work in the hospitality industry and due to various cut backs/cancellation etc. From time to time i lose a shift which makes me work below my contracted hours. I do not get paid for this.

I do not have a contract, i have been with the company for one month.

Also i requested to have xmas day and boxing day off work, i have also discovered that i will not be paid for these days off. Apparently my employer includes these in your yealy holiday entitlement. As i have only been there since end of Oct i have not incured much holiday yet. Apparently i will have to take xmas out of my holiday entitlement.

Does anyone know the facts as i hear various different stories.

You are entitled to a statement of particulars (contract) after 8 weeks. This should give details of hours, pay, job, place of work etc.

You are entitled to 24 days annual leave which is pro ratered for part timers. This rises to 28 days on 1-04-09.

It is not uncommon for employers not to recognise Bank holidays. If they do the you would receive 20 days + 8 paid Bank holidays.

At the moment you should have accrued enough holidays to take Christmas day and Boxing day so why should they be unpaid?

Also when does your holiday year run from? If its Jan-Dec, you will need to take the holidays you have earned before the end of the year or you will lose them.

All the best,

Paul.

i had a days holiday this week, due to personal circumstances. I realise i should be entitled to more hol come xmas. I just wanted to know if i should be entitled to extra pay (more days).

Its the chopping and changing of hours that bothers me.... i was verbally told 35 hours a week when i started, very hard to live when you don't know where you are with your hours.

Thanks

AS a guide I usually tell my staff they are entitled to 1.66 days holiday for each month they work. Hope this helps.

This would have been correct up until 31-03-08 but from this date your staff now accrue holidays at 2 days per month.

Do you want to tell them the good news?:)

i had a days holiday this week, due to personal circumstances. I realise i should be entitled to more hol come xmas. I just wanted to know if i should be entitled to extra pay (more days).

Its the chopping and changing of hours that bothers me.... i was verbally told 35 hours a week when i started, very hard to live when you don't know where you are with your hours.

Thanks

I think you should raise this with the manager and say you were told the job was advertised and you were told at interview that it would be 35 hours per week.

Once you have a contract, this should stop them chopping and changing hours. Remember they can only dock your pay when sending you home if you agree to go.

I have found out that my company only pays 20 days hol a year - bank hols/public hols not included. is this right? they state they do this as they pay double if you work xmas day and boxing day, otherwise nothing, up to you if taken out of yearly hol entitlement.

the place i work for closes throughout Januray therefore there hol is worked out over a 11 month year.

I am very confused....

I started mid oct, had one days hol last week and will be having one day next week, that is all my entitlement up to next week.

In Jan i will have hardly any hol entitlement left.

The reason i am taking a days hol this week is due to the place closing for business on a certain day, so i lose a days pay. Is this legally correct? Should they pay me for this day? how can i invoke employment law on them?

This is a very interesting thread.

I am wondering how many of us are thinking we are entitled to only 20 days holiday and with time running out we will lose those last extra new days? Why have our employers not told us this?