student nurse bursary help!

studentgm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5582 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Are you using your student bank account overdraft to the max?

And consider bank/agency work for your local trust - this may also help you gain employment when you qualify.

Without knowing more about your circumstances it's difficult to advise on benefits.

Stick with it, I know it's hard but it will be worth it in the end and a year will fly by.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Have you considered bank/caring/support work? My Dh is going into his 2nd year, and he takes shifts that suit him around his studies.It pays anything between £6.50-£11 per hour, and you don't pay tax as you are a student.

• 3 weeks later...

As a student nurse myself have you thought about the Access to Learning Fund for students in hardship. It takes a few weeks to process. I got over £1000 when I did it.

Also try for employment in the Nurse bank as it gets your face known on the wards and helps to know where you would like to work when you qualify!!!

I qualify in 3 months!

17/4 Sent CCA Request to Cabot - Argos/Cabot

• 3 weeks later...

As a student nurse myself, I can advise that Scatz is right - you can apply for half the standard student loan. Its roughly £2,200 though I think its a little less in final year, not sure. You should claim asap. Its paid in 3 lump sums over the year - January, April and September.

Jen :)

Not if she's doing the Diploma course rather than the Degree - the Diploma bursary is non-means-tested and therefore Diploma students aren't eligible for any Student Loan at all.

I'm just coming to the end of my 2nd year, and work on the bank at my local hospital. It's helped my confidence and competence no end, plus I'm getting my face known around the hospital, doing most of my shifts on wards/departments I'd be happy to work on when qualified. I've even had a couple of Sisters tell me they'll be happy to employ me in a year's time. I do more hours during holiday, directed study periods and theory blocks, then less during placements as my trust only allow you to work a max of 48 hours per week, including placement hours. Book your shifts wisely, as in 13-hr shifts on a Sunday, and this could make you £600 per month for 1 day a week.

But if you're really desperate, the Access to Learning Fund is the way forward (if you're already making the most of your bank's Student Account). Take at least 3 months' bank statements and any recent bills/demands for money/rent books etc. to your uni's Student Welfare Office to find out if you qualify for help. They can only say no, after all!

Edited by mree
punctuation

Can anyone else help me with this as i think my brain is going to blow up! I have been told today by the bursary department that i do not qualify for any parental learning allowence, dependants allowence or any thing! even though I have a husband and three kids under six! I am due to start my course in Feb but I am thinking there is no way I can manage money wise on the basic bursary as my husband does not exactly earn alot!! Does any one know how little he must earn to qualify? If he gets to work part time while I study for the same money that would be a bonus! I mean the cheek of it from the goverment! How is any one suppose to make anything of themselves!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If your husband works part time, you will be entitled to Working tax credit and child tax credit. My friend's husband works part time in a barbers shop and earn £80.00 per week. He gets £1,120(monthly) working tax credit and £300 a week child tax credit. My friend has 2 children under five. Your bursary WILL NOT be taken into account when working out your tax Or you may get dependents allowance from uni.Access to learning fund is very helpful you may get up tp £1000 per year. Also if you urgently need a washing machine or cooker or any important household item, you can apply for a hardship fund.