I want to resign ... and I haven't even started yet!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5725 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

Some help would be greatly appreciated from those who are more in the know than I!

I received a job offer a month ago, which I accepted, and I have signed a contract of employment to start in two months time (notice period was three months).

I have since applied for another job on a speculative basis, and have been offered it. I would prefer to be in this position rather than the one I originally accepted.

I appreciate that I have signed a contract of employment for the first job offer I received. There is a probationary period of 3 months in which either I or the employer can give a weeks notice instead of 3 months after this period.

How likely is it that they will hold me to this? Can I give the weeks notice before I even start working for them? If it comes to this, I take it there is no need to disclose any of this and just have my current employer as my last employer and reference?

As I said before, any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

I'm no expert but if you have 2 months before you start the job why not phone them (then a confirmation letter to follow) and tell them due to unforeseen circumstances you are no longer able to accept the contract

You arent exactly lying as you didnt know for sure you were going to get the other job

You are giving them 2 months to find someone else, arent you?

Well yes, or even less if they need it ... it is a new position so no one is currently filling it so to speak ... so guess they could even find someone who just needs to give a couple of weeks notice or who could start immediately!

Thanks.

Well yes, or even less if they need it ... it is a new position so no one is currently filling it so to speak ... so guess they could even find someone who just needs to give a couple of weeks notice or who could start immediately!

Thanks.

You're welcome, hope it works out for you

Let us know wont you?

Hi Darren,

The date you sign the employment contract is irrelevant. The contract doesn't actually start until your first day of employment.

Hope this helps.

I'm not a legal expert. Anything I offer is my opinion based on my personal experience, so please get professional, legal advise before taking any action.