CL Finance/Cohen Claimform - MBNA [ryanair] Credit Card debt **WON**

Gazza112
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5116 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Sorry for the Confusion but i stated that the last two letter was sen't by UKmail but infact was sent by Royal Mail 2nd class. Which as i stated received both the MBNA letters on the 12th of this Month.

Does this change anything from the UKmails in the time i received the letters.

Gaz

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Docman

Thanks for the info, on the note that may be a valid Default Notice.

What if after issueing them with the 31.16 complience letter they can't come up with the original document. Would the Default Notice they served be invalied.

Gaz

S 87(1) of the Act requires a DN before a creditor can take any action regarding a regulated credit agreement. Using CPR 31 you are forcing the creditor to produce a copy of the valid agreemnt. So if you haven't received a DN, you put the creditor to strict proof in your defence. Snag is, if you have received a DN and then deny that fact to the court, you could be in big trouble.

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

Hi All

Sorry for the Confusion but i stated that the last two letter was sen't by UKmail but infact was sent by Royal Mail 2nd class. Which as i stated received both the MBNA letters on the 12th of this Month.

Gaz

Indeed it does.

2nd Class Royal Mail Delivery is deemed served 4 working days from the date of postage.

You will have to presume trhe Default Notice was posted on the date it was issued.

Have a read of this post by B_R_W which incorporates a post made by x20 on the subject of served documents.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1852343.html

However, I am aware that car2043 does have a differing opinion on dates of served documents but i can't find his post at the moment. I mention this just to make you aware of a possible argument that may occur in Court.

Hi All

Gaz

Hi Gaz

yes as supasnooper has said this does make a difference. And I also stand corrected on my post in #272 above, which was based on what a barrister told me last year.

The pratice direction needs to be updated though. The rule is now in CPR 6.26 which states

"

Deemed Service

A document, other than a claim form, served in accordance with these Rules or any relevant practice direction is deemed to be served on the day shown in the following table –

Method of serviceDeemed date of service1. First class post (or other service which provides for delivery on the next business day)The second day after it was posted, left with, delivered to or collected by the relevant service provider provided that day is a business day; orif not, the next business day after that day.

Looks like you may have late service. I hope you have the envelope.

• Haha 1

However, I am aware that car2043 does have a differing opinion on dates of served documents but i can't find his post at the moment. I mention this just to make you aware of a possible argument that may occur in Court.

I think I was playing Devil's advocate... :rolleyes:

IMHO, arguing that sufficient time hasn't been allowed for service of a DN wouldn't prevent a claim being allowed to continue if that was the only argument.

Should you have other issues, such as invalid DN due to unenforceable agreement, or incorrect figures would strengthen your defence.

I can't see a claim being successfully defended on the basis of a lack of time being allowed for Service of the Notice.

I would imagine that these companies are getting this very, very wrong if they aren't allowing this time, and a Judge probably wouldn't want to consider this argument on it's own merits, without supporting arguments.

Having said that, we know these companies can get these things very, very wrong - just look at the Banks' approach towards account charges - so I wouldn't rule anything out. (Should I decide not to continue playing Devil's advocate, that is! :-|)

Hi Sunflower

Its really forcing the banks hand at the end of the day.

As in the first place the Banks don't know weather you would take them to Court. On the other hand if they haven't got an enforceable agreement there not going to take you to Court in the first place. They know they would not stand a chance in Court without the right paperwork.

Gaz

Hi Gazza! thanks for giving a bit more info about CPR 31.16 requests.i think its great you are sending CPR 31.16 request to them!I see you are going to keep all our new year resolutions of giving these banks and DCA a hard time:DWell done! Good on you Gazza! I will be watching this thread with great interest!:DHeres to a miserable new year to MBNA ! as more and more people join CAG know their rights and the Dcas profits fly away!when they realise that they can not bully and intimidate people !:D Edited by sunflower99

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

I think I was playing Devil's advocate... :rolleyes:

IMHO, arguing that sufficient time hasn't been allowed for service of a DN wouldn't prevent a claim being allowed to continue if that was the only argument.

Should you have other issues, such as invalid DN due to unenforceable agreement, or incorrect figures would strengthen your defence.

I can't see a claim being successfully defended on the basis of a lack of time being allowed for Service of the Notice.

I would imagine that these companies are getting this very, very wrong if they aren't allowing this time, and a Judge probably wouldn't want to consider this argument on it's own merits, without supporting arguments.

Having said that, we know these companies can get these things very, very wrong - just look at the Banks' approach towards account charges - so I wouldn't rule anything out. (Should I decide not to continue playing Devil's advocate, that is! :-|)

Hi car2403,

It was this post I was looking for in the context that the claimant may use this as an argument in court.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1887240.html

I wanted to mention this post, because, if you are aware of this, who is to say others are as well ?

Good of you to play devils advocate though, as it makes others aware of the pitfalls they may come across and that they need to do their groundwork thoroughly.

I am pleased that we do have someone playing Devil's Advocate so that everyone else can be aware of the kind of arguments put to District Judges. I can quite see the creditor solicitor saying "Well judge, there are 14 days between the two dates stated on the DN, so it's valid".

If the argument is put, defendants should quote the Act, where for once the statute is quite clear and specific about a point, and I quote,

S88(2) CCA 1974 (as amended by CCA 2006)

"A date specified under subsection (1) must not be less than 14 days after the date of service of the default notice, and the creditor or owner shall not take such action as is mentioned under section 87(1) before the date specified or (if no requirment is made under subsection (1) ) before those 14 days have elapsed."

It would be a very brave (or foolhardy) judge who went directly against the statute. If any judge does lean towards this argument, then the defendant should (very politely) ask the judge to specify his reasons for accepting a DN with less than 14 clear days in the judgment. It should clarify his thoughts, I hope.

It would be a very brave (or foolhardy) judge who went directly against the statute. If any judge does lean towards this argument, then the defendant should (very politely) ask the judge to specify his reasons for accepting a DN with less than 14 clear days in the judgment. It should clarify his thoughts, I hope.

And would also give grounds for an appeal

;)

I was going through this thread and similar to gazza I just had reply back from alliance and Leicester mbna I requested CCA on 3rd DEC jut today 16th JAN (after sending a reminder CCA with stopping my DD payment) received reply today please see attached ZIP images your help greatly appreciated what next I should send?

Edited by sanrhythm

Hi car2403,

Good of you to play devils advocate though, as it makes others aware of the pitfalls they may come across and that they need to do their groundwork thoroughly.

I am pleased that we do have someone playing Devil's Advocate so that everyone else can be aware of the kind of arguments put to District Judges. I can quite see the creditor solicitor saying "Well judge, there are 14 days between the two dates stated on the DN, so it's valid".

If the argument is put, defendants should quote the Act, where for once the statute is quite clear and specific about a point, and I quote,

S88(2) CCA 1974 (as amended by CCA 2006)

"A date specified under subsection (1) must not be less than 14 days after the date of service of the default notice, and the creditor or owner shall not take such action as is mentioned under section 87(1) before the date specified or (if no requirment is made under subsection (1) ) before those 14 days have elapsed."

It clearly states "specified", but I guess you would need more to strengthen your arguments as Car says. :)

Car, it would be a sad day if you were to stop being Devil's Advocate.. We need to know where we would stumble if our facts werent accurate and backed up properly. :D

• Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

after third letter in responce to terms and condition finaly MBNA send sign copy not readable see attached images copy is not clear at all you cant read anything !!! what next? HELP needed

Edited by sanrhythm

• 4 weeks later...

Gaz! you must have really upset MBNA:eek:They terminated you and you never got a pink pig letter!:eek:Are you going to send them the bemused letter?

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Hi Sunflower

Yes, i've just drafted the letter out i'll pop it in the post on monday.

Car sorted you a good template letter out for your CCA, about they've not complied to your requests. I thought i had that letter to hand, but can't find it in my files.

Been busy writing today, one to Barclay's, one to Blairs for Halifax and one to Lewis's for MBNA.

Few what a day lol, why are these people picking on me i'm a good person :eek:

Gaz

Hi Gaz!

Yes Car has been very helpful on our MBNA threads! It was him who gave me the confidence to countinue my fight against MBNA! and gave me the reassurance that there is a very good chance their CCA was dodgy when i was starting out as a nervous newbie Cagger ! and was letting MBNA walk all over me!Yes you should find that letter on my MBNA thread!That Bemused letter is a good one! abnd i suspect i will be using it quite a few times in the future.My statement with MBNA quotes a five figure sum! So it will be the high court for me i guess if someone tries to enforce it!Dont you just love those secured loan leaflets they bundle in with all their statrements! Now thats what i call an example of responsible lending! :rolleyes:

The above post gives a link to commisoners office!:)