Newbie seeking advice regarding evicition/re-homing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5754 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning all,

My apologies for joining purely because I need help, I was unaware of the forum previously (unfortunately!).

If anyone can offer any help at all I would be truly grateful;

I have just received a letter this morning advising me that I will be evicted from my mortgaged property on September 18th.

In all fairness, I have no grounds to contest this, I am extremely behind on my mortgage payments and made an arrangement with the mortgage company and a judge last November which I have been unable to adhere to (I have made some payments where possible, but not enough).

So, I guess I am not looking for advice on how to fight the evicition, more regarding me finding a new home as I obviously don't want to end up on the streets...

Problem is this - as part of getting to this stage, I have ended up with a terrible credit rating (in the last year or two I have been through a divorce, lost my job and started a new business - prior to that my credit rating was excellent, it helped me get into my current mess!).

Basically then I have little chance of being able to rent privately, I'm sure any landlord worth his/her salt would run credit checks etc., and also, as I explained I have a new-ish business which I am sure will come good very soon, but at the moment with the 'credit crunch' is struggling a little, and therefore I am not paying myself very much, some months nothing at all...

I am male, 36 y.o. and fortunately live alone, no children, pets etc.

Would anyone please be able to advise who I need to talk to at the local council, or perhaps housing association or similar who can help me get re-homed, and also if possible who I need to contact to try to get some help with the rent until things pick up? I am of course living below the minimum wage and can prove this.

Thanks a million in advance, really appreciate anyone's time or help,

CC08.

Hi there CC08 and welcome to the forum.

Dont worry about joining cause you need help, that is how we all started out on here.

You may be able to fight against the eviction. The judges are coming down hard on lenders at the mo as they are to fast to go for eviction.

Are you paying your full monthly payment and non to arrears or are you paying nothing ful stop.?

Do you want to keep your house or have you resigned yourself to moving out now?. If so the housing officers at your local council can help you. You will need to make an appointment. Shelter are also v.good.

I dont think landlords credit check you either. If you can rent privately can you get help with rent as you are on low income?

olives xx

Hi Olives, and many thanks indeed for replying.

In recent months I have been unable to pay anything really, or nothing worth discussing anyway, so have pretty much resigned myself to the move out.

Thanks for the advice regarding housing officers and Shelter - would I call the local council and ask for the 'Housing Dept.' or similar?

With regards getting help with rent, I don't have a lot of options family-wise etc., a heavenly scenario for me (with current circumstances) would be if I could rent somewhere privately, but get a bit of help with the rent from 'the state'.

I would just like to say in follow-up to my last suggestion that I have been in almost continuous employment since June 1988 (when I left school), in the one period that I was unemployed for about 7 months I survived on selling belongings etc. and only claimed Jobseekers Allowance for about the last two months or so when I started getting desperate - in other words, I don't make a habit of expecting others to pay my way...

(that wasn't supposed to sound snobby or offensive)

There seem to be lots of people out there getting their accomodation paid for, unfortunately I am going to need the same for a little while :(

Best wishes and thanks again,

CC08

There is no harm in the state paying for a bit. Just call it pay back from all the tax that you paid whilt you was working. That is actually what I meant by getting help. There is a good site and I will find it in a bit for you. This will tell you what sort of paymets you can get from Job seekers and housing benefit.

I believe it will be the housing dept you would want to speak to. You need to tell them that you have the eviction notice and tell them when it is for. They sometimes suggest that you can go private and they will give you a deposit guarentee so at least you dont need to pay that.

Have you looked at the prices of private renting around your area yet? Maybe your local paper will have some. I know mine has estate agents lettings and privately advertised as well.

olives xx

Hi, and sorry to hear all your problems, hope life turns around for you soon!

Just a thought: If you have had a long history of late payments you will have loads of charges? you may well be able to get them back. Do a bit of research here on CAG.

Best of luck.

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Good morning all,

My

I have just received a letter this morning advising me that I will be evicted from my mortgaged property on September18th

So, I guess I am not looking for advice on how to fight the evicition, more regarding me finding a new home as I obviously don't want to end up on the streets...

Basically then I have little chance of being able to rent privately, I'm sure any landlord worth his/her salt would run credit checks etc., and also, as I explained I have a new-ish business which I am sure will come good

CC08.

HI hope things work out-your business perhaps may give you small income-i hope so.Funnily enough last month a friend of mine who needed accom fast-tried to -despite having terrible credit history-single like you-find a flat.In one day found one-but letting agencies etc would not touch because of credit checks-found the best ones were the private landlords had no problem getting one-maybe there are plenty for letting.Now he has been in 4 weeks and due to being on very small wage i am now trying to find out what help he can get-re housing benifit-council tax etc- and as the olives have just advised going to find the online calculater.Good luck in finding accomodation-will follow your thread hoping for good outcome for you. Bye for now Tawnyowl Edited by tawnyowl

Many thanks indeed for the extra help and advice you guys, it is very much appreciated.

I have tried to make some progress today but not made a lot so far :(

My local council have played 'phone tennis' with me, i.e. passed me around literally dozens of departments and I'm still not terribly wiser - beacuse of this, I have been trying to call Shelter since around 11am and have heard the 'sorry we are busy right now, please try later' approx. 3 million times :)

I'm not complaining don't get me wrong, I suppose it just reinforces that there are many, many people and families in similar trouble...

I'll be back in touch soon, thanks again to everyone who has helped so far,

CC.

Good morning CC08, right I went to the council housing options team and had an appointment where they go through certain things with you.

1. how you got into this mess

2. what you've done so far ie. CAB Accommodation Concern who are fab.

3. they point the true picture of what will happen, normally they'll put you into Temporarly accommodation even if you are single or and you have to mention this to them after they've gone throught this list with you RENT ASSIST SCHEME.

They will put you in contact with various letting agent in your area and possibly pay 1 months rent, 1 credit check fee up to £100 and help with the deposit whereas some land lords don't like or just not educated enough as it a deposit bond ( not cash ) and you can see why landlords are not keen.

I hope I have given you some idea where to go etc and please don't give up trying and positive attitude brings positive results.....

Regards

MJP

Blackpool Council - Homelessness - Advice and Support - Service Information

Tilly sent me this-she has been through hard time and been possessed-mm maybe not quite the right word-but hope it will give you some idea what the councils attitudes to homelessness is-i know you live in Lancashire and hope maybe this will help slightly-maybe your council has same attitude to possible situation you may find yourself in-i noticed they will even negotiate with mortgage companies and courts on your behalf.Am no expert on court procedures but is there no chance of last appeal or some offer of payment maybe with help of council team.Will ask someone else to look at your thread-there may be something you can do-who knows.I know my friend with bad credit rating and very low income managed to rent a flat in private sector- no credit checks-and is now filling forms in for help with housing and council benefit.Must allways get benefits if entitled-selling things and belongings isnt answer-tried that one just to pay mortgage.Dont give up hope-feel you will find somewhere or stay there i hope.Watching thread like hawk.Will be back later -maybe by then someone might give you better help-i hope so.Urgent situation time drawing nearer-BRICKS AND MORTER arent everything but roof over head is.Hows business doing-just wondering

Edited by tawnyowl

Hi

Just want to say i am really sorry to hear what you are going through, have you been and put your name down on your council list for rehousing,also they will not class you homeless until you have recieved the evicition notice, keep ringing shelter you will get through eventually, as they say knock on everydoor until someone listens one will eventually open wish you all the very best of luck.

Community Legal Service

Tilly

CC08

Your best bet is to go in and see the housing team, go to your local council and take a ticket and sit and wait, these depts regardless of which council are never great to speak to over the phone. My experience of finding alternative acommodation a while a go was no landlord would take a deposit unless the place was a hole though I was advised that the job centre offer 1 first months rent as a loan if it is a crisis, the housing department will quite happily give you a letter confirming this if it gets you off their housing list. My credit report was shot to pieces so I only responded to adverts in the local paper when it was clear the landlord was private.

Good luck.

I love CAG!

Hi everyone, and thanks again to all of you who have been able to offer advice, I am forever grateful.

Here is my update, which in the main is good...

I have managed to find a lovely new home (better than the old one actually!) via a very nice indeed (so far anyway...) private landlord.

I have been to the local council to see if I can qualify for some LHA (housing benefit) should find out in the next few days, fingers crossed...

The biggest problem I have remaining now (assuming that my LHA claim is successful) is that I have not been able so far to find any help with the deposit - a very good friend has loaned me the money, however he will need it back quite soon as he has plans for it, it's a very short term loan.

Shelter recommended the Crisis Loan people, I have called them twice spoke to two different staff members and both have insisted that they are not there for situations like this...?

Also, went to see the local council 'Strategic Housing' people last Friday, they were supposed to call me earlier this week to discuss - a)they haven't and b)I was told that if they COULD help, max would be £300 which doesn't help hugely really :(

So yeah, in summary, not homeless but still struggling :-|

If anyone can suggest anything further, brilliant, and thanks, but if not, many thanks again to all of you for your help so far.

All the best,

CC08

p.s. I am extremely knowledgable on all things Motor Trade, as soon as my move is completed I promise to return here to try to help people with any problems of that nature - it will be nice to put something back in

So happy that you have found accom-private landlords ok-just pay rent and hey-they will be kept at bay-when house is sold at auction or privately and you have any shortfall and they come chasing after you-come on here again many people are learning how to deal with this and much information is now available-just in case thats all.

Nice to have a friend like that who helped you that way.Maybe i hope struggle and business will get better for you-sure it will-anyway good luck Tawnyowl