HELP PLEASE!!Equita and Council tax arrears

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5770 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Sorry if I'm repeating things but had a look through some previous threads re above and nothing seemed relevant to my case.

I was in arrears for council tax for a previous address. I received a letter from Equita and promply called them to arrange something. It had been passed to one of their bailiffs so I called him directly. He advised he had noticed vehicles on the drive so I replied with they are on finance and that he then wanted to remove property. I told him he was not able to gain entry to my home unless I let him in and he agreed! A repayment plan was then set up. Payments were made by his mobile number. I then called him one month but did not get a call back and unfortunately for me I forgot about it (young baby work etc!! no excuses I know!lol). I then was 'reminded' by removal notices. I again called the main office and was told it was with the bailiff. A different one this time! A message was left on her mobile. I then returned home one afternoon to be met with a removal notice and seizure of inventory of goods, noting one item the car.(on finance!)

I called the bailiff (which I now know not to do!!) I basically told her she had no right to enter my home, I had not signed anything and had never let anyone into the home previously! She bascially argued with me that she did have the right and had been doing it for 10 years and knew her job and that as it had gone through the court ( i am not aware of this?) she had every right to enter and seize goods! I have a young baby and this is very distressing so please any help would be appreciated as to my rights in all this!

ps I called the council to see if payments can be made direct but they said unable to do so as had been passed on!

Thanks

It never ceases to amaze me the bullshine that bailiffs come out with.Entry can only be gained peacefully through an open door or window, just because you phoned her does not imply peacefull entry.Provided she has not entered the property you are safe enough. As for paying the council directly most,if not all, have online systems for paying by credit or debit card so, if possible I would advise you to do that using your old address reference number and following through with a letter to the council to let them know what you have done, as the payments may be credited against the account of the people occupying your old property. Someone with more knowledge will be along to link to various letters that you can hand to the bailiff should she call again. Just remember to talk to her through the letter box or partially open window.You also need to find out what charges were added by equita as they are well known for thinking of a number and doubling it in the hope that they are dealing with a gullible person.icon12.gif

Hi Sorry if I'm repeating things but had a look through some previous threads re above and nothing seemed relevant to my case.

I was in arrears for council tax for a previous address. I received a letter from Equita and promply called them to arrange something. It had been passed to one of their bailiffs so I called him directly. He advised he had noticed vehicles on the drive so I replied with they are on finance and that he then wanted to remove property. I told him he was not able to gain entry to my home unless I let him in and he agreed! A repayment plan was then set up. Payments were made by his mobile number. I then called him one month but did not get a call back and unfortunately for me I forgot about it (young baby work etc!! no excuses I know!lol). I then was 'reminded' by removal notices. I again called the main office and was told it was with the bailiff. A different one this time! A message was left on her mobile. I then returned home one afternoon to be met with a removal notice and seizure of inventory of goods, noting one item the car.(on finance!)

I called the bailiff (which I now know not to do!!) I basically told her she had no right to enter my home, I had not signed anything and had never let anyone into the home previously! She bascially argued with me that she did have the right and had been doing it for 10 years and knew her job and that as it had gone through the court ( i am not aware of this?) she had every right to enter and seize goods! I have a young baby and this is very distressing so please any help would be appreciated as to my rights in all this!

ps I called the council to see if payments can be made direct but they said unable to do so as had been passed on!

Thanks

I would advise you to check with the council whether the bailiffs have passed on your payments, especially the first bailiff, who seems to have disappeared.

Also, remember that the bailiffs, as they have not gained entry, can only charge you £24 for their first visit and £18 for a second visit. NOTHING MORE! Did they post their correspondence to you or did they visit? If they posted it they cannot charge you for it as it does not constitute a 'visit'.

Pay the council direct and tell them you are doing so. Do it by cheque or standing order (not direct direct, as they can change a DD without your permission).

If the bailiffs have overcharged you, do not pay a single penny of their charges. If they have tried to cheat you, they have lost all moral right to expect anything from you and they are not going to want to advertise the fact in front of a judge.