6 years?

nackers
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6532 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have decided to go ahead and request my charges back since I was notified that I would be charged £59 in total for a £25 direct debit that was returned this week!

I've been banking with Alliance and Leicester for about 5 years, I think I have bank statements going back about 4 years. I am not inclined to do the data protection request to get the extra year or so's information because of the extra time and hassle, would just going back through my statements and requesting the charges backdated for 3 or 4 years weaken my claim? What would you advise?

Alliance and Leicester: started 2/9/6, LBA 7/11/06.

Hey, nackers. Welcome to the forum, dude.

A couple of questions for you:-

1. Do you have a complete set of statements for the years in question, or are there any gaps?

2. Is it 3 or 4 years you are thinking of claiming for? You seem uncertain which it is.

3. How much is involved? - You needn't be specific about the amount if you don't want to - I just ask as it may help you decide the answer to your own question. If you go on the premise that an extra year [or maybe two?] of charges would be so much extra % on top of this you could guesstimate whether it's worth the "hassle" of going for the full whack.

4. Are you under a time restraint? Or is it just the thought of the "hassle" that's making you lazy? [sorry, dude, don't mean that to be as insulting as it may sound!]

Ultimately, it is your claim = your decision.

Time you claim for shouldn't really have any affect on your claim one way or the other. 8)

Don't mind my nackers, I'm a dudette :)

For 1 and 2 I'm not sure exactly how long they go back - for whenever I last decided I needed to clear them out, so that was a guess that I haven't checked. I'm pretty confident that I won't have missed one they always get a look over and chucked in the file as soon as they come in.

For 3 I would estimate about £500, I have already had a spat with them a year or two ago over a set of charges that rolled over that totalled over £200 (which of course, I didn't get back)

As for 4, no particular time restraint. Partly because I have a bee in my bonnet now and want to get down to the nitty gritty and partly because, as you say, I am lazy and don't want the additional hassle!

Thanks for the help, I haven't got time to do any adding up or letters really today so I'll think about it over the weekend. On reflection, it's pretty illogical not to go for the whole lot, so perhaps I won't let apathy get the better of me!

Alliance and Leicester: started 2/9/6, LBA 7/11/06.

If you are going to go to the time and effort to reclaim some of your bank charges I really think you might as well go for the lot.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.