ASUS X70S Blu-ray Laptop

B1nary
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5157 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone. I bought this laptop about 2 months ago, since day one it has been unable to play a blu ray DVD. everytime I try and play a Blu ray DVD the software freezes! Ive tried other software but get the same results, the software stops responding, It does play normal DVD's but not the blu-ray.

I've seen a posting on another site, for exactly the same problem, which was diagnosed as a problem with the specs of the laptop, being the bare minimum specs for running blu ray software.

What I really need to know is what options do I have, the way I see it, is that I've been sold a laptop that obviously isn't up to the job its meant to do.... Play a blu-ray dvd

Is it possible to get a refund?

I dont really need a refund, just a laptop thats supposed to do what it's meant to!

Its not really faulty as such, so the option for repair is not viable.

looks like I'm going to have to buy a more expensive laptop :mad:

any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

First Direct - Looking to claim back £3,759.11,

...THERE ARE 10 TYPES OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.... THOSE THAT UNDERSTAND BINARY AND THOSE THAT DONT...

Guest Old_andrew2018

you should use your consumer rights with in the SOGA to reject the item, as you say the spec appears to low to allow blu-ray disks to be played.

Can you believe it...... the laptop turned itself off and won't come back on!! no power! :mad: must have heard me slagging it off earlier so now its sulking :rolleyes: .

Its definately going back tomorrow now!!

If they offer to replace it with the same model, I'm going to make sure they play a blu ray disk first!..

...THERE ARE 10 TYPES OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD.... THOSE THAT UNDERSTAND BINARY AND THOSE THAT DONT...

Hi again.

Spoke to Asus on the phone friday (0870 number, say no to 0870.com sorted out that :)) told them the problem, but couldn't help at that time because the office hrs were 9-5 and I just happen to call at 4.55! and he didn't have a clue! but he did take my number and say they'lll call back on monday mid morning.. no call so didn't hang around and took the laptop back, and explained the problem to the sales assistant/tech guy! (...the latter word I use very loosely!!) who asked me if I had tried a 'factory restore'!!!!!!

'Oh I see,' I said. 'I suppose that will upgrade the graphics card and CPU so that the DVD will play' :rolleyes:!!!! at which point he must have realised he'd not completely understood the problem.

He took the laptop up the back to 'test' it, and returned and told me that it doesn't work!!!!! I told him to try the one on display, which he did, which also never worked! so he went up to the back and returned 5 minutes later, said that there must be a problem with that model and that he'll exchange the laptop as an act of goodwill, because I've had the laptop longer than 28 days and usually under their policy they dont exchange goods!!! I replied 'Well I dont care if it's 328 days, you've just admitted that there's a fault with the laptop, gave him a bit of SOGA :D

......they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

and you said there's a fault!..He'll speak to the manager and see what he can do! after that point it was plain sailing!! :)

swapped laptop for another make, which was dearer when I bought mine but was now at the same price :D.. so I'm a happy bunny!!!

CAG rules!!!!

Edited by B1nary
spelling mistake :)

well done quality result you got them in a cornor that they could not get out.

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

..... forgot to mention..... nipped in earlier today to get some dvd's, and they still had it on sale! after the manager said on Monday that he'd take it off the shelf and inform Head office. that can't be right surely? didn't have time to to explain it to the cashier, just got my goods and left!

I'll probably send thier HO and email, if they ever get read!:p

• 1 year later...

The blu-ray drive on this laptop does work, it's just not obvious how to get it to work at first due to factors such as finding the right blu-ray media player and the right software. The laptop is certainly powerful enough and can play back blu-ray movies perfectly. I bought my one last week, went to Blockbusters took out 4 blu-ray movies and spent the evening trying to get them to work. Just as I was about to give up I found out about a program called AnyDVD which removes protection such hardware and monitor compliance which if not removed prevents the disc from playing. Once I installed the software and ticked the boxes to remove all the different types of protection the disc loaded up in no time at all using Windvd (also works with PowerDVD) and I was able to enjoy my movies.

Firstly the issue was two years ago, secondly it should work out of the box not require a consumer to hunt for other software.

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

now now, no need to get all pompous! Not everything works straight out of the box. DVD movies don't necessarily work on a lot of Windows laptops without the right codecs being installed first. The laptop should come with some software to allow you to play blu-rays and it's a shame it doesn't but fools on this forum are arguing that the drive doesn't work and the laptop isn't powerful enough to play blu-ray movies when in fact it is. The drive recognises discs as soon as you put them in so in fact it does work straight away, you just need the right software to be able to play them, ie AnyDVD and WinDVD. I'd highly recommend the Asus X70S, it's a bargain high quality blu-ray laptop.

All I'm doing is trying to tell people that the drive does work and how to make it work so that they don't take other people's advice on this thread and return a perfectly decent laptop.