Three Refuse to cancel contract outside term

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5757 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had a look around and can't find something similar.

I have been with three for 5 years and had various phone upgrades. However this time is was more difficult. I upgraded my phone which meant a new contract at the beginning of June. This put me in a new contract which is fine. However due to their weird system I had to get a PAC code, cancel my contract and then transfer to a temporary PAYG contract then transfer to my new contract.

I called customer services and said I wanted to cancel and requested a PAC code. However the person on the end of the line 3000 miles away didn't get it and kept saying he is sorry to see I am leaving blah blah blah and he can offer me a good deal etc. I wasn't leaving just getting a new contract. So at the end I assumed that was that, contract cancelled, wait for the bill and the new one to start. I tried sorting out the PAC code but they didn't understand saying I can't transfer from 3 to 3, etc. So I gave up on the PAC code and just kept the new number. But since I cancelled around June 10th'ish I am still receiving bills.

So I wrote to them and explained the situation and they said I have to give 30 days notice, etc,etc and wont be able to cancel till September. I have two emails from two different people one saying about not being able to cancel my old contract until I give 30 days notice. The other is saying they are sorry I am canceling my new contract and I have to pay a pre term cancellation fee of over £300.

This is from the Indian call center. No offence to them but they don't seem to be listening. What can I do. I threatened them with OFCOM.

I am not in debt to them and my direct debits still stand but I am really frustrated to the point of not knowing what to do. I also want my money back as I have not used the old sim since I got my new one. I gave my notice around the 10th of June. The idea was for my new contract to then take effect.

Please help.

Thanks.

I have had a look around and can't find something similar.

I have been with three for 5 years and had various phone upgrades. However this time is was more difficult. I upgraded my phone which meant a new contract at the beginning of June. This put me in a new contract which is fine. However due to their weird system I had to get a PAC code, cancel my contract and then transfer to a temporary PAYG contract then transfer to my new contract.

I called customer services and said I wanted to cancel and requested a PAC code. However the person on the end of the line 3000 miles away didn't get it and kept saying he is sorry to see I am leaving blah blah blah and he can offer me a good deal etc. I wasn't leaving just getting a new contract. So at the end I assumed that was that, contract cancelled, wait for the bill and the new one to start. I tried sorting out the PAC code but they didn't understand saying I can't transfer from 3 to 3, etc. So I gave up on the PAC code and just kept the new number. But since I cancelled around June 10th'ish I am still receiving bills.

So I wrote to them and explained the situation and they said I have to give 30 days notice, etc,etc and wont be able to cancel till September. I have two emails from two different people one saying about not being able to cancel my old contract until I give 30 days notice. The other is saying they are sorry I am canceling my new contract and I have to pay a pre term cancellation fee of over £300.

This is from the Indian call center. No offence to them but they don't seem to be listening. What can I do. I threatened them with OFCOM.

I am not in debt to them and my direct debits still stand but I am really frustrated to the point of not knowing what to do. I also want my money back as I have not used the old sim since I got my new one. I gave my notice around the 10th of June. The idea was for my new contract to then take effect.

Please help.

Thanks.

Telecoms companies must be covered by an Alternative Dispute Resolution Scheme. There are two that are licensed for telecoms companies - CISAS and Otelo. I believe 3 is covered by Otelo - Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman - Home - check on the list on their site.

If they aren't then search for CISAS in Google and they should be listed on their site.

Then call Otelo/CISAS and get the complaints address they have on file for 3. Also ask Otelo/CISAS - or find on the website - the time that 3 have to respond [it's a long time since I made a complaint through them, now I just take things to court!]. Then write a detailed letter with all account numbers, telephone numbers and your complaint and send it special delivery [not recorded delivery as is not guaranteed service] to that address.

If they haven't solved it by the deadline complain to Otelo by post. Their online complaints form is limited in space and doesn't allow you to add anything. They will then send you a letter with your complaint filled in on their form in their words and ask you to either correct it or sign it and send it back. If it's correct, sign it and send it back, otherwise correct it, sign it and send it back.

They will then processs the complaint and make a preliminary decision. You can decide to accept or have it reviewed by their Ombudsman. You can then accept or refuse the final decision. If you accept the decision it is binding upon 3.

I'd give that a shot. If you have any difficulties don't hesitate to ask and I'm sure somebody will try and help.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

i see whats went wrong, a pac code closes the old account only when 3 are contacted by (for example) o2 to move the number. as in this case no one has request the number then the old contract is still live. If you have given up moving the number you will be required to give them 30days notice. If i were you i would go back to who ever advised you to get a pac, explain whats went on and ask them if they can fix it. Also id give three 30days notice on the old contract a pay up, then try a get the funds back later or you'll end out with a black mark on you credit file. Ps i used to work for tmobile so i know what i am taking about, and three are correct you can not use a pac to move the number from one contract to another unless they are held with different networks, however they can move it if they understood what you were asking.

Ps i used to work for tmobile so i know what i am taking about, and three are correct you can not use a pac to move the number from one contract to another unless they are held with different networks, however they can move it if they understood what you were asking.

Not strictly true....

With O2 if you want to keep your number from O2UK (retail and 3rd party providers) and transfer it to O2 Online or vice versa, then a PAC is needed. The same is required for some consumer to business and business to consumer accounts.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.