28 days to return deposit??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5786 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I moved out of a rented property a week and a half ago, it was let through a letting agent on behalf of a private landlord and I paid £800 deposit.

The day after moving out I contacted the letting agent to ask what the situation was regarding return of deposit and they told me that it would take 28 days, I questioned why the extensive delay and they told me this was because of them not being able to get out to inspect the property, but it was mentioned in my tenancy agreement.

I conceded as they were right and it is in my tenancy agreement that it CAN take up to 28 days.

However, yesterday I drove past and the property is already re-let and the new tennants are moved in! I called the agents this morning and checked, they confirmed it was re-let, they confirmed they had done their inspection last week and everything was fine, but they are still not releasing my deposit, apparently they are waiting instructions from the landlord?

Can they do this? We took tenancy before the new guidelines came in in April 07, are we protected by these guidelines?

No you arent protected, and 28 days is a reasonable time period. Even though tenants may have moved in, they can still have quotes for the work/invoices/authorisation from landlord etc.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!