Parking Tickets From Norway

JULI99
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5779 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last August I sold a car on ebay to a Norwegian.

A couple of weeks later a tow truck came and picked the car up.

I should mention that the car had been registered SORN and had been left to rot in the front garden, Stuff was growing out of it and the inside was covered in mold.

I filled out the export bit on the V5 with the new owners name and address and sent it to the DVLA. I got back a letter saying thanks for notifying them the vehicle had been exported. I filed it in a box and forgot all about it.

Over the last couple of days I have received 3 parking tickets saying the vehice had been parked at various locations in I think Norway in October 2007.

I called the dvla who said my OH was still the registered keeper and he had not told them that he was not. I said that he had and we had a letter from them saying so. I was told to get in touch with Swansea with a copy of the letter. Only problem is I filed it in one of probably 50 boxes of paperwork that got consigned to the loft and have been moved about. So although I could find the letter it would probably take several days.

Because of the way our address was written on the letter I called the police who checked their computer. The police lady who I was explaining the circumstances to thought something had gone awry because according to the police computer it says that the car had been permanently exported from our address in the UK to our address in the UK which obviously doesn't make sense.

I still have the name and address in Norway where the vehicle was exported to and all the emails and paypal transaction.

What do I do. The DVLA are adamant they have not been informed.

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated

I think that you will have to find all the relevant documentation and correspondence as a first step.

Then send photocopies of all to the DVLA with a covering letter.

It's probably a case of the left and right hands not knowing what the middle hand is doing.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

If you are confident that you can prove that DVLA have acknowledged your export, I would call their bluff. Write again with the facts as you see them, add the police information, and suggest that if they proceed to court action you will be able to produce the evidence, and you will insist that the full costs of your inconvenience are met. You might also ask them to justify why they did not accept your word on the first occasion, and how the Norway authorities became aware of your name and address! I would reject any EU jurisdiction to impose fines on UK citizens.

Given that the police have on their computer that it has been exported means that the DVLA must have recieved the relevant documentation from me. On this documentation was the new owner's name and address.

As for the address that the parking ticket company have for us, I doubt very much they got it from the DVLA, as apart from the postcode the rest of the address is completely garbled. The postcode appears in the centre of the address.

Just to clarify I received the 3 tickets within the space of 24 hours and have not had chance to contact the parking ticket people as they were only open during office hours and I was unable to call Friday. All the tickets are from September/October of last year.

Edited by JULI99
mistake

Juli,

If a PNC check by the police shows a "permanent export" marker, then it is only DVLA who can put this on their records. So it is clear they have received the V5 advising them that you have sold the vehicle abroad.

Who has sent you the letters regarding the parking tickets, is it a UK based company?

Seems the penalties are for not paying road tolls. When I spoke to the parking ticket company people who are in London they seemed to suggest it was a regular occurence for people to ship in cars from abroad then clone the number plate and so avoid the road tolls.

The person I spoke to this morning at the dvla said that when a car is shipped abroad then the name of the last uk owner of the car is kept on the system with a marker saying they were the last owner of the car before it was permanently exported. Which this guy agreed was on there and I had done everything correctly.

Pity the guy from the dvla who I spoke to on Friday couldn't have told me that instead of saying it was still registered in OH name and I would have to prove oh didn't own it.

Took me a few hours but seem to have got it sorted. (There's a few hours of my life I won't get back).

Thanks to all who have helped and crossed fingers I do not hear about this car again.