• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Going to Cout with HFC

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've just realised ... the Draft Order for Directions is something that you choose to serve yourself, it's not compulsory, hence the Court not mentioning it.

Have a read of this from the ConsumerWiki, then tell us if there's anything that's not clear to you:

Draft Direction Order - Consumer Wiki

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a look at the link. I understand that if I had requested in the draft order to send something to the defendant then I would have to send that 14 days before the court date. But I didn't say I would send the Defendants anything. I asked that they send me stuff.

I am really confused as to what I am supposed to provide the Defendant's with. I don't want to mess this up and have it thrown out.

I have pm'ed steve

I had a look at the link. I understand that if I had requested in the draft order to send something to the defendant then I would have to send that 14 days before the court date. But I didn't say I would send the Defendants anything. I asked that they send me stuff.+

*I am really confused as to what I am supposed to provide the Defendant's with. I don't want to mess this up and have it thrown out.

I have pm'ed steve

Hi Dyanomo

I've had a good read of the whole of this thread.

The Draft Order for Directions is something that you can submit to the Defendant (and provide the Court with a copy of) that will assist you at your Hearing.

Please note that you can change what is requested as listed in the link I gave you to reflect what you are actually asking for.

So:

In it, you will be providing all the evidence that you are relying on relating to your case for mis-selling *(1 a-d) thus: a) the amount and interest that you've been charged b) statements showing this c) and d) supporting evidence including details of cases settled against HFC.

Part 2 a-f) is the section for information that you are asking the Defendant (HFC) to provide you with+ and which Alphageek has outlined in posts #32,#33,#34. You are not limited here BTW, you ask for everything you require.

In your posts #23,#24#25 you have begun to outline what you require HFC to provide you with. :)

Have a go at preparing your Draft Order but I would make a specific request that you don't post it up here in the open forum as I'm concerned that the HFC lot will read it and maybe try intimidating you again ...

As you say that your hearing date is 30 October, you have a good amount of time in which to prepare this.

Please shout if there's anything you're still stuck over.

Best wishes. P

Edited by Paintball
Typo and clarification.

See, this is where I get confused. I prepared my draft order (post 24-33) and sent it to the court with my AQ. I also photocopied the whole thing and sent that to HFC.

So, are you telling me I need to write another one? In my Draft Order I did not say I would send HFC anything as I have already sent it numerous times.

So far, I understand that this is where I need to get by 'Court Bundle' together and send a copy to HFC. I will send a copy of the Draft Order with it. What if they don't produce what I asked for in the DO. Is it legally binding even though the judge hasn't referred to it in the response from the Court (post 42).

Edited by Dyanomo

To be honest I think I am about ready to give in. This is way past my understanding and I think I have just managed to wing it this far.

I really do not want to go to Court, I don't know what to say or do. I don't understand legal speak and I don't think I can represent myself or explain my case in the way I need to. I think I need to accept I have been beaten on this one.

Dyanomo, please don't give up.

If you've already prepared and sent your Draft Order for Directions (which will have included all the documents/evidence you need to send on to the Defendant as stated in Part 1*) with a copy of all your evidence to the Court, then it is done. You should call the Court on Monday and clarify this with them.

The main point of the Draft Order for Directions is for both parties (Claimant and Defendant) to submit relevant documents/evidence to support their argument. The Court will require a copy of all the documents/evidence also so that the Judge can have read all the supporting arguments and be informed. It is also an opportunity for you to request documents from the Defendant that you may have already asked for but which they may have been tardy in or reluctant to provide.

I should add here that if you have submitted your Draft Order (and all your evidence as per Part 1) and the Defendant does NOT provide the Court with all their documents then the claim is struck out and, as far as I understand, you will have won by default. The reverse of this also applies, if you don't provide your evidence within the timescale, then your claim is struck out.

Secondly, there are Court Buddies that you can contact via this website. Please PM one of the Site Team for help with this and any others things you are stuck with as they are there to help : Our Site Support Team

P xx

Edited by Paintball

In my draft order I didn't say I would send anything to the Defendant e.g. schedule of charges etc, as they already have this several times over.

What I haven't sent is the information I will rely on in Court, supporting legislation etc as I'm not quite sure what to send?

Thanks for your help with this Paintball. I really appreciate it.

This is a very basic version of the DO.

HFC Bank Limited

Draft Order for Directions

1. "The Defendant shall within 14 days file and serve the following information:"

a) A signed and dated copy of my needs and benefit questionnaire strictly relating to the policy in question.

b) A copy of the Payment Protection Insurance schedule.

c) Statement of PPI premiums paid and any interest charged thereon.

d) Proof HFC Bank Limited advised of alternative insurance with other providers.

e) Certificate of Competence or training relating to staff issuing PPI policies.

I also included info in post 30. See where I only asked for the Defendant to send paperwork, and not that I would send any.

Dyanomo if you read this again Draft Direction Order - Consumer Wiki

you'll see that you are obliged as the Claimant to fulfil Part 1, which is all your supporting documents and evidence that you will be relying on to win your case. :)

Part 2 is for the Defendant to fulfil, i.e., send the documents to you with a copy to the court within 14 days of the hearing date.

Each party is required within the order to send the other their supporting documents and arguments. You are the one to initiate this Order as you are bringing this claim to court; you send a copy of the Draft Order (which I gather you have already done) with copies of all your docs/supporting evidence to the Defendant so that they can see eaxactly what you are relying on in court, and an exact same copy to the Court so the judge can see what you are relying on. This will help him/her to give directions at the hearing you have ...

So, to summarise:

1. You've prepared the Draft Order for Directions

2. You now need to make copies of everything you have outlined in your Part 1 of the Order and send them to a) the Defendant and b) the Court. You need to do this within 14 days of the hearing or your claim will be struck out.

3. The Defendant will have received a copy of the Draft Order that you have prepared and will know as per Part 1 what you will be sending to them and what they need to send to you in order to fulfil Part 2 within 14 days of the hearing with a copy to the court, or the claim will be struck out and you win by default.

If you haven't put anything in Part 1, then may need to start again, in which case, please talk to the Court about whether you need to re-submit the Draft Order as I think you still have time ... don't forget that the court won't yet have the docs you've sent the Defendant and the whole point of the Order is that the judge has a copy of your stuff too!

Edited by Paintball
Typos ...

Ok, I think I get it now. I messed up with my Draft Order. I didn't put part one and skipped straight to part 2. I will ring the Court and see what I have to do to resubmit another one. Hopefully it will be as simple as filing another one.

Paintball I really appreciate your help. Everyone I have contacted is either away or subject to Tomlin Orders and can't advise. Bad timing!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good grief, haven't you done this yet ? :rolleyes:

:)

Have a look at this and see what you think. The text in black is from the template in the link I gave you a few posts back and relates to bank charges, the red below is my suggestion for a PPI claim:

1. The Claimant shall within 14 days of service of this order send to the Defendant and to the Court:

a) A schedule setting out each charge repayment of which is sought, showing the date, amount, and reason given (if any) for that charge being made;

a) A schedule setting out the amount of PPI and interest which is sought, showing the date and amount added to the (loan)

b) Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that each and every charge has been made;

b)Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that the amounts have been added to the (loan)

c) A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that the charges are irrecoverable as penalties or otherwise;

c) A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that PPI was mis-sold and that financial industry regulations and guidelines were breached in so doing.

d) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon. If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, the claim will be struck out without further order.

d) As above

See if anyone has anything else to suggest for this ...

Edited by Paintball
Typos.
  • Haha 2

Hello painty and dyanomo,

Have a look at this and see what you think. The text in black is from the template in the link I gave you a few posts back and relates to bank charges, the red below is my suggestion for a PPI claim:

1. The Claimant shall within 14 days of service of this order send to the Defendant and to the Court:

a) A schedule setting out each charge repayment of which is sought, showing the date, amount, and reason given (if any) for that charge being made;

a) A schedule setting out the amount of PPI and interest which is sought, showing the date and amount added to the (loan)

b) Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that each and every charge has been made;

b)Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that the amounts have been added to the (loan)

c) A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that the charges are irrecoverable as penalties or otherwise;

c) A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that PPI was mis-sold and that financial industry regulations an guielines were breached in so doing.

d) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon. If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, the claim will be struck out without further order.

d) As above

I have a couple of points which may help with this.

Firstly I have recently come upon the Civil Evidence Act 1995 which has now been added to the draft order for directions thread. It is an absolute saver where banks or others cannot produce authenticated copies of CCA etc.

Have a look at this....

General

c) copies of Default Notices (if any) issued pursuant to s87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 by the [Claimant] [Defendant] (whichever is the loan company) to the [Claimant] [Defendant] (whichever you are)

d) a copy of any Notice of Assignment to the [Claimant] [Defendant] (whichever is the loan company) relating to the [Claimant’s] [Defendant’s] (whichever you are) account

e) if copies of any of the above documents are to be relied on in court rather than originals, a copy of the Notice of proposal to adduce hearsay evidence required under s2(1) of the Civil Evidence Act 1995 together with proof of the authenticity of the document(s) as required under s8(1)(b) of the Act, including but not limited to:

(i) a copy of the procedure(s) used for copying, storing and retrieving documents

(ii) a copy of the relevant log entry showing the time and date of the scan or copy, the name of the member of staff making the copy, the method used for copying, storage and retrieval and time and date of destruction of the original document(s)

(iii) copies of internal and external audit reports covering the entire period from the date of the copy to the present to demonstrate that the procedures have been complied with

(iv) copies of Quality Assurance accreditation certificates covering the entire period from the date of the copy to the present to demonstrate that the procedure(s) and audit process(es) comply with the appropriate quality standards.

How good is that to get the authenticated documents you ask for:D

see these links for more info..

http://lightsol.co.uk/legal.htm

http://www.eimagazine.com/xq/asp/sid.0/articleid.1F44B088-72B9-4119-A5ED-C5DEAE6FBF20/qx/display.htm

http://www.alliancegroup.co.uk/legal-admissibility.html

http://uk.fujitsu.com/web/global/whitepapers/legal.pdf

http://www.document-storage-solutions.co.uk/data-storage-info/legal-admissibility.htm

http://www.tradescanners.com/document_management_legal_admissibility.php

Hope all of this helps you get the legal info you want;)

and remember they have to produce all of the audit trail with full accreditation in Court. How good is that:D

Hope this helps folks that are being fobbed off to make a case.

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

The info I've put in my post #64 is for completing Part 1 of the DOD in which Dyanomo will be stating what she will send to the Defendant (and a copy to the Court) to rely on at the Hearing on 30 October.

I've put what I feel will be helpful, but as this is a serious matter I was hoping that someone else may have something to add to what I've put.

Alanalana, this is really useful info for Part 2 of the DOD; what Dyanomo will be asking the Defendant to provide. I shall make a note of this for my own records :)

You are using the DOD to obtain whatever info you require from the Defendant in order to prove your case for mis-selling in court, so yes, put this request into Part 2, it is YOUR order :)

Just had a thought; weren't HFC one of the institutions fined for mis-selling PPI? IF so, then using this as evidence of bad practice in your Part 1 would add weight to your case. I shall go have a look-see ...

This is what you can use: FSA fines HFC Bank £1.085 million for PPI failings

Edited by Paintball

hello dyanomo,

I would also like to make a request for their commission info relating to PPI

I am not sure if they will supply the information on their commission having just read posts 69 to 79 on this thread

LloydsTSB credit card ppi

Perhaps you could ask ukaviator or anothe of the site team?

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Ok, here is what I have so far.....comments please:

Draft Order for Directions

a) A schedule setting out the amount of PPI and interest which is sought, showing the date and amount added to the loan;

b) Copies of any statement or other document relied upon as showing that the amounts have been added to the loan;

c) A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that PPI was mis-sold and that financial industry regulations and guidelines were breached in so doing;

d) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon. If the Claimant fails to comply with this order the claim will be struck out without further order.

2. The Defendant shall within 14 days of service of this order send to the Claimant and the Court:

a) A signed and dated Needs and Benefit Statement strictly relating to the policy in question;

b) A copy of the Payment Protection Insurance Schedule;

c) Statement of PPI premiums paid and any interest charged thereon;

d) Proof HFC Bank Limited advised of alternative insurance with other providers;

e) Certificate of Competence or Training relating to staff issuing PPI policies.

f) Provide evidence of all bonuses and commission based incentives offered to the employees of the defendant in relation to the sale of its products or services and in particular that of payment protection insurance;

g) Provide the sales targets of the employees of the defendant in relation to its products or services and in particular that of payment protection insurance;

h) Disclose if the Defendant employs or operates any system, either automated or manually operated or otherwise, which is used to monitor, check or supervise the sale of payment protection insurance to ensure that errors omissions and misrepresentations are noticed.

2.1. If copies of any of the above documents are to be relied on in Court rather than originals, a copy of the Notice of proposal to adduce hearsay evidence required under s2(1) of the Civil Evidence Act 1995 together with proof of the authenticity of the document(s) as required under s8(1) (b) of the Act, including but not limited to:

a) A copy of the procedure(s) used for copying, storing and retrieving documents;

b) A copy of the relevant log entry showing the time and date of the scan or copy, the name of the member of staff making the copy, the method used for copying, storage and retrieval and time and date of destruction of the original document(s);

c) Copies of internal and external audit reports covering the entire period from the date of the copy to the present to demonstrate that the procedures have been complied with;

d) Copies of Quality Assurance Accreditation certificates covering the entire period from the date of the copy to the present to demonstrate the the procedure(s) and audit process(es) comply with the appropriate standards.

Good grief, haven't you done this yet ? :rolleyes:

:)

c) A statement of evidence of all matters relied upon as tending to show that PPI was mis-sold and that financial industry regulations and guidelines to ensure the fair treatment of customers were breached in so doing.

d) A statement of evidence to show that in breaching FSA regulations and guidelines and consistently failing to take reasonable care in the sale of PPI to its customers, HFC has incurred fines.

e) Copies of decided cases and other legal materials to be relied upon. If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, the claim will be struck out without further order.

e) As above

Just added a bit more ...

Excellent! I have added that.

I am going to post all the info I am going to send them on here. I am not very confident about going to court ( you can probably tell I have stuck my head in the sand for a bit) but I am going to go. I don't want to screw it up over something tiny though!!

Heehee ...

The object of this exercise is for HFC to look at all the evidence you'll be providing in your DOD and think, cor blimey, we haven't got a leg to stand on ... fined by the FSA? Continuing to treat customers badly (including our own Dyanomo), how very dare they :eek:

:rolleyes: