Housing association help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5806 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi not sure if this is the right place but here goes: sorry if it is :-|

I am in a housing association house, I gave notice to quit on the 7th July 2008, having not heard from the housing association i gave them a ring to see if they have actually received my letter today and my housing officer informed me that they had not received the letter. This was posted first class on the 7th July. unfortunately in my haste I have no proof. She said she could take the notice as of the 14th July because if they had had received the letter possibly on the 9th July, they would take it to the next Monday after the letter was received, which is the 14th July. So instead of my tenancy ending on the 3rd August as planned it will now finish a week later which means I will end up owing them a weeks rent.

I would like to ask a bit of advice on this as surely maybe they should take the notice of when the letter was dated or at least when they received it in the office, to which by the way they have no knowledge of. I suppose I cant do anything if they are saying they didnt receive it? She also said they take their tenancies from Monday to Monday?

Anyway she said if I email her the notice then she can take it back to the 14th July 2008, to which I have done.

Im not sure i have a leg to stand on but thought I'd ask anyway, I have a assured tenancy which I knew i had to give 4 weeks notice.

Halifax preliminary letter sent 17/05/06 charges £2661.00

Bog Standard blah blah blah letter received 22nd May 2006.

received lengthy letter dated 24th May 2006 offering £605 pah!

letter before action sent registered 5th June 2006

letter received in response to lba offering £1801.00 errrrr no ta

court action filed 23rd June 2006

deemed served to bank on25th June 2006

notice of acknowledgement of service has been filed

they intend to defend

7th july received letter PAYING IN FULL!!!

10th July cash deposit £112.58

10th July cash deposit £2869.00

:D :D :D :D

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

Hi Blinkyblinkyblonk - I think you should push them on the date of your letter - officially that is the date you gave them notice ? Whether or not they say they received it, I mean what would have happened if you had not rung to check ? You would have moved out presumably and then what ? The HA is already saying even if they had seen the letter they would have been unable to take your notice from the 7th anyway ? This does not sound right - usually rules in tenancy agreements say you must give 4 weeks notice in writing - which you have done - to be pedantic about it the tenancy does not usually say make sure the landlord gets the letter, send it recorded delivery, allow time for it to be delivered etc. So I would be a bit more assertive on this one and state that you have given them the statuatory notice and thats that ?

No...it isnt taken on the "date of the letter". It is taken on two days after postage of the letter, WITH PROOF of such postage.

I think you need to accept the fact that you will need the extra weeks notice.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!