experian and odd note on file search

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5768 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just wondered how you would react if you found a reference to money laundering on your file.

It had a search by a company I dont recognise and another name and reference was money laundering.

Now previous tenant of my house had this name and lived here over 7 years ago and I am confused and concerned why this is on my file. I phoned experian who said it is normal and just a search and I for a while left my concerns, but its festering.

What would you do?

I agree will apply for other reports and ask what it means. They told me verbally it was normal when applying for credit and although I couldnt understand why, I was turned down at time for card. If I find they have put this on wrong account I will promptly need to deal with it.

Got knock at door today, two men asking for their mothers passport apparantly delivered to this address, sent me into panic after what I stated previously and have rung police and passport agency, seems dodgy as one of the men is the same one who keeps knocking trying on one occasion to sell double glazing as recomended by a friend he couldnt say the name and previously did I want my windows cleaned.

Yesterday garden fence damaged as if someone tried to climb over but not worrying as have a big dog.

By the way the police at the moment feel the callers were told to call by the passport agency as probably my address was put in error by the delivery agents. But still a little suspicious something is going on as the passport agency say they would not have told them to call and I'm waiting for them to ring me back.

Whilst on phone to police a woman knocked and asked to speak to me, I just freaked out go away because unfortunately I'll admit to having anxiety panic attacks and my epilepsy medication I'll swear makes me loopy, but I think Im justified not talking to strangers.

I dont answer the door to people I dont know and am classed as vulnerable so please dont think Im just being paranoid. Nowadays I have at least 3 knocks a week do I want to change power suppliers and have note on door not to knock. I cant trust people any more. (That doesnt include you of course cagers x)

As I said, get a written explanation from Experian, particularly regarding the reference to money laundering, and check your other files. There may be something on one of those to shed some light on this.

Have you tried speaking to your local community police officer, if you have one? Ask at your local station to find out. Alternatively, try asking for help with making sure your property is secure.

The reason I suggest this is that, whilst I'm sure the knocks at the door are coincidence, there is a remote possibility that they are not (I hope that doesn't make you panic or give you sleepless nights, it shouldn't). Either way, get someone round to give you advice and maybe get you a better notice to deter 'unwanted callers'. You might not want to tell them, but if they know you are vulnerable, they're more likely to help sooner rather than later. I hope you have a chain fitted to your door, and use it.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thanks for the advice. I agree not to try and panic. Ive applied to equifax for my file today and then can cross reference it with experian, paid 2.00 by credit card so should have within 7 days hopefully.

I agree about the police and they did call quickly, it just seems to me they put me down as over anxious and reading too much into things. I agree coincidence is more than likely but that doesnt explain the man calling at my house before on other occassions and the garden fence. As I say have a huge huge dog and will turn on the camera system as now have managed to find a vcr that works, I calmed down last time just because it was switched on, its the fact you have a record to show the police.

I feel and I know its only my opinion that the police although they responded very very quickly think of me as a pain in the bum as I tried to prosecute my father and they just said it was a no hoper. Every now and again I ask for the files and they say no, but I am going to make it more official so its dealt with once and for all and I can move on. ps. I realise the officers today were lovely, its just a fear they wont believe me because of above, when I have no cause to link incidents to my father, its just me panicking they represent him back them, when sence tells me it not the case(he was a serving officer some time ago). Panic starts to pull sence apart when I should be calming down.

Sorry to be so yappy, its just I am down and its so frustrating I dont need to tell most on here, to try and put things right when those in the wrong walk away scot free. I have to make sure I calm down and think Im getting there thanks to this site. Mind you today showed my true colors 'dont panic mr manering' at least I could post hear.:)

Found original experian report and typical cant find page need refering to who put mention on my file. Will need to find it and see if it appears on equifax too. I'll tell you what I did read today a search was done by ge capital bank at the same time and later I got notice from aktiv kapital about statute barred account which was written off I believe anyhow, ps bit sketchy over this but have original money advice files.

Any how point is ge capital bank did the search regarding a store card search which I was pressured into filling in the from whilst buying pressy. Told would get vouchers and this was before I found cag and was very very niave untill then, they turned me down any how and I didnt know store was gecapital.

Seems being pressured into just filling in the form opened up my file to these leeches, any how one thing when I was turned down I was treat lbadly so said I wanted the application form, I took original and copy as I was upset they had wasted my time as I didnt go infor card.

Point is I have the signature and copy of, so gecapital have no signed authorisation to access my file, maybe?

Edited by stardust_john

Did the store phone through or send info via computer whilst you were waiting? They usually do, so GE would have done a credit search whilst you waited also, so at that point they did have your authorisation. Your only grounds to complain would be if they did the search after you left the store with your application forms.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I believe the search was done a few days later than the form and they had told me at the store I was turned down on the day, but it doesnt really matter I was just thinking as I typed and it probably wouldnt do me anygood saying anything to them. I was just wondering wether they had anything to do with the inacurate reason for search on my file as experian said it was the same week, but I'll wait till I get the report from equifax and see what appears there.:) Probably a coincidence but experian told me a company often lists search money laundering when considering giving credit and not to worry, I thought that sounded odd and maybe was more maliscious than they were letting me believe, as in I needed to order a correction to whatever it is. Just getting paranoid I think.

Just clicked and remembered something, miracle for me:eek:

The search on my adress was in a different name, the previous tenant a Mrs. I do know they left a lot of debt and do wonder wether they have left a mark on my file incase we are related, which not. Could explain British gas man repeatedly trying to find out name of female tenant and was our family them.

Awaiting file from equifax still and will see if same referene on there, but at least calmed down its nothing sinistor, just need to kick experian up bum and get correted asap.

Hi, just an update.

Have to commend equifax for replying so quickly, so it seems panic over, as there was more details.

Firstly experian reference to money laundering search on equifax clearly showed a link to my bank and it said mandatory money laundering search prior to opening new bank account. So fair enough it seems this is required by law and as dca had nastily said previously we are going to trash your file and this and that:oI overeacted that it was maliscious.

Secondly no listed alias on this file and its just on experian. I do believe this is something to do with previous tenant so will send letter asking for it to be removed and we'll see.

Its just been a very stressful month thas has made everything seem panic stations when there is an simple explanation, but then thats just me. I promise I was not like it prior to dca interogations and threats, honestly,:o:D

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I think you'll find what has changed is that the credit file now shows these searches. I had a bunch of money laundering searches appear on my credit file in Jan 2008 for HSBC that were made in middle 2007.

As far as I know these searches do not show during a normal credit search, they are a part of the audit trail.