Unfair APR rate on credit card

ROBOKOP
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5805 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Some advice really. Approximatly six months ago I noticed that the APR rate was 20.9% on my credit card. On contacting HSBC I was told that they could reduce this to 15.9% and would do so with immediate effect. Last month I noticed that it was still at 20.9% and called to complain. They agreed to reduce it but would not accept that I was entitled to the difference they were charging on my funds for six months. I have had a balance of approx £3000 on this card for the last six months and have been paying £100 of the card each month. How do I work out the difference that they have overcharged me over the last six months? (ie they have been charging me 20.9% interest on the balance instread of 15.9%. They have credited my card with £25.00 even though I have told them this is unacceptable.

Can I bill them for my time and/or an accountant to work this out....Suprise Suprise they cant find details of the recorded call....

All help gratefully recieved

ROBOKOP.

Hi robokop,

I've been pondering on this, but I fear that without a written agreement from HSBC you will find it difficult to prove that the phone conversation ever took place..... therefore working out what the difference would have been is academic....... and attractive as it would be to bill them , IMHO that's a futile gesture ....

The only thing I have in the back of my mind is that it may be possible to request that they send you transcripts of any phone conversations which they have had with you - this may trigger a memory surge that you did call after all - but if they say they haven't got details then .........stalemate I suppose .

Maybe someone else can come up with another plan to help you...... :)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

They could audit trail your account and, unless you call them every other week, be able to narrow down the date. Did you write it down anywhere about the rate? A rough date even ie the month. That would show that your CC account was accessed and by whom.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

They could audit trail your account .....

Thanks yourbank, :) that was what was lurking at the back of my mind...... question is : do they have to do it if you request it, or is it for their convenience only:confused:

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

They are bound by the Data Protection Act to provide all information they hold about you if you do an SAR and request it. However if they say they never recorded that phone call then they dont hold that information about you, then you are stuck :cool:

pete

Thanks pete - that was my initial feeling in #2 :)

There you have it robokop - your call ...... but come back if you need more info...... :D

Nemo me impune lacessit

That's not entirely the case pete. With regards to audit trailing the account, I have stated the balance of probabilities. Someone would have had to have accessed his account to have made the offer as it is unlikely it was an offer for all and sundry. SAR could produce the results but as we all know, the charges campaign has seen a blurryness in the definition of SAR. Providing the OP specifically states he wants all information as to who logged into and accessed his CC account and not statements he SHOULD get the information. I doubt a recording of the call WOULD exist.

If you know the approximate date then it will narrow down the search.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf