Warm Front Heating

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5194 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, this may not be the right place for this, but don't know where else to post it.

Anyway, it's a question about the Warm Front Heating Grant. I work full time but my husband claims Disability Living Allowance so my question is 'does anyone know if we would qualify for this grant?'

I've just read a thread on another forum, which was people complaining about substandard work being done on their heating, and a lady on there said that she worked and her husband was on disability benefits and they qualified. On warm front websites it states that when it says 'householder' it means both the disabled person and their partner. Does this mean that the partner needs to claim disability benefits or am I reading this wrong?

I was going to 'phone the number I have for info on Warm Front tomorrow and ask, but just wondered if anyone could provide an answer for me.

Our boiler is on the blink, no heating or hot water, and we can't afford to have the boiler replaced, all my wage goes to paying bills.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

canbrilla

Thanks Bookworm that puts my mind at rest. :p I did also read that after someone has assessed your needs, it could take from 6-8 months before any work is done! :( That's not very good if you're waiting during the winter with no heating. Surely it must be quicker than that!

Can't help you with that one, I'm afraid... I should think it will depend on where you live and how much work they have.

I think the soonest you get it on the way, the sooner you can get it done and you never know, if you speak to them, you might convince them your case takes priority? I don't know if that's possible, but it's got to be worth a try anyway.

Good luck. :-)

I first applied in October and all my installation work was completed by mid january, only problem I had was a slight leak from an overflow pipe and they came out the day i phoned them.

I dont work but receive child tax credits and hubby receives working tax credit, we had to pay £400 towards the work but i rang the local council and they paid it for us.

Hi wobbles

I didn't know you could get any extra money from the Council. Is this a usual thing?

I phoned Warm Front today and they said that the claim would be in my husband's name, as it's he who's disabled, so there should be no problem.

Did you already have central heating in when you claimed and if so, was it not working? Ours isn't at the moment, but we'll have to have it fixed, even if it's only temporarily, we can't go 6 months with no heating and hot water. The lady I spoke to said that should be okay as it's bound to breakdown again.

Hope everything goes well and we get the grant.

Glad to hear you're satisfied with yours.

canbrilla

Hi

Yes I did already have a combi boiler but I only had 2 radiators, when they came to assess the work needed they said I could have a new boiler as mine was over 9 years old.

They installed the new boiler in a different room for me and gave me an additional 3 radiators and kept my 2 old ones in.

When they sent the price for the work and it showed that i would have to pay £400 towards the cost I rang them to say I could not afford it yet and could they put it on hold until I had the money, the lady at warm front told me to ring my local council as some councils help. My council is Bury, Lancashire but they agreed to pay it. Just had to sign a form and send it back to coucil they then pay Warm Front direct.

Good luck :lol:

• Haha 1

wobbles

Was your boiler working when someone came to assess your needs? Ours is about 12 years old and keeps breaking down. Luckily my nephew is a Corgi registered plumber so does repair it for us, but we can't keep patching it up forever. I didn't know about Warm Front and was all set to try and try to save up for a new boiler, which would have taken years, when I found out about it, thank goodness I did. I don't know if we need new radiators or not, will have to see how much the work would come to.

Anyway, if it does come to more than the grant, I'll try the council.

Thanks for that advice wobbles.

canbrilla

yes my boiler was working when they came out to assess it, only problem i had was that one of the raditors did not get very warm but the man who came out to assess the boiler bled the radiator for me and it came hot again.

Hi wobbles, glad to hear that your boiler was working when the assessor came out, mine still isn't at the moment. The pilot light goes out when you either turn on the hot water or put the central heating on! My nephew's contacting Glow Worm to see if they can diagnose the problem but that could be a while. In the meantime it's cold and we have to boil the kettle to wash up, have a wash down and wash our clothes in cold water as my washing machine doesn't heat the water.

We've had a letter from Warm Front today acknowledging our application, just waiting for the assessor to get in touch.

Anyway, hopefully we'll get it up and running again at some point. Can't be soon enough! :cool:

canbrilla

Just a suggestion- make sure you get whatever insulation and draughtproofing you can through this scheme or any others that are on the go. If cavities can be insulated- do it, and loft insulation should be 275mm deep.

These insulation measures offer considerable savings on future fuel bills and will keep you warmer in your home.

For Scottish Caggers, the equivalent scheme is called The Scottish Government Central Heating Programme and here is a link:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/People/OlderPeople/Homeimprovements/Centralheating

Hi Kenny

We had someone out to assess what we needed the other day. Our loft is fully insulated, the outside walls are poured concrete and the radiators are fine, so all we really wanted was a new boiler which the assessor agreed with.

Just waiting for the installation firm to contact us. Fingers crossed we'll get the work done before the winter sets in.

We've managed to get our old boiler to work, in a fashion, we're getting hot water, but the thermostat is broken, so we can only put the heating on for an hour or so before the radiators start banging because the water gets too hot. Anyway, it's better than the nothing we were getting before!:D

canbrilla

• 3 weeks later...

Had a phone call from Iguana the other day and they're coming out to start the work on Monday, should take a couple of days. We were told we will have £100 to pay, hope that's all it is.

canbrilla

Hope it goes well. Let us know how it goes please!!

Everyone should check if they qualify for this Warm Front, Warm Deal- Scotland (for central heating and insulation) grant or apply on behalf of a relative or neighbour who might. Check the link and see if you qualify, it could save you many pounds in heating bills and keep you warmer this winter!!

Do you qualify for a Warm Front Grant

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/People/OlderPeople/Homeimprovements/Centralheating

Edited by kennythecelt

Hi kenny, yes I'll post when the works done and let you know how it's gone. I can't believe it'll only be just over a month from when we first applied.

I'm sure there must be many people who qualify but who don't know about it, as we didn't.

If you think you may qualify then please apply. You'll be glad you did!! :D

canbrilla

You will also find that it is maintained for a couple of years with an annual safety check.

Make sure you arrange your own policy once theirs ends. That is really essential for safety and piece of mind. Shop around for the best deals at the time.

Cheers, Kenny

• Haha 1

Finally, the new boiler is in and working, we've got a digital thermostat in the living room and the timer is in the airing cupboard with the boiler.

The fitter was a very pleasant young man, so was the electrician who came to fit the electrical bits. They cleaned up after themselves and left no mess.

Just over a month from application to completion. Wonderful.

We did expect to have to pay £100 as the assessor thought the grant wouldn't cover the cost, but we paid nothing extra.

Can't beat it.

canbrilla :D:)

Hi

I applied a grant the man came out and said i qualified as I got a 16 year old boiler and can only put it on the low setting as if i put it on high it is like a bomb exploding also they said my system was full of sludge. I thought brilliant as I am a single parent own my home and could get help. But 2 weeks later i received a letter to tell me i had to find £1100 FOR THE WORK TO BE CARRIED OUT. i HAVE LEFT IT GO BUT SINCE READING YOUR FORUM ABOUT THIS CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE I GO FROM HERE. PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME TO TAKE IT TO MY MP BUT WHAT CAN HE DO ABOUT IT?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GRATEFUL.

Ask Warm Front to explain the costs to you and why they are over the maximum grant available. Is any insulation included in this work?

Is it a gas or oil boiler?

Sometimes, some Local Authorities have further grants available to assist. Check with locel energy advice within your Council.

Let us know how you get on.