14 Days Notice for Charges to be applied???

hme.4x4
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5829 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have already S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)'d Abbey but haven't yet received anything.

I'm currently arguing with them about more charges they have placed on my account.

I had a cheque which wouldn't clear because of the Bank Holiday, but funny, they were able to slam charges on to my account on a Bank Holiday Monday, literally hours before my cheque cleared.

I know they owe me a lot of money andf I am going to reclaim it.

But I had a letter from their 'Customer Service' Dept:rolleyes:

This rattled me:

You have mentioned that the fees on your account have been debited without any notification or permission. Your monthly statement details any fees together with the date they have been taken from your account.

In this respect, Abbey adheres to the Banking Code, which recommends that banks advise customers in their statements that charges will be applied.

We give more than 14 days notice, which is also a requirement of the banking code. Therefore I feel that we do give sufficient notice so that our customers can make arrangements to cover the amount of charges to be deducted.

Emmm, excuse me? Have I been on another planet?

The Banking Code recommends that banks advise customers in their statements that charges will be applied??

I don't know about everyone else but my experience is always that charges are applied ages before any statements arrive. Then a letter usually arrives a week to ten days later.

I have never, ever, received 14 days notice (which is a requirement of the banking code). I get charges on my account literally within hours of slipping over into overdraft, even if it's only £1.

What's going on here, have I missed something?

Abbey do advise of charges on the statement prior to applying them to your account. On 1st April, I incurred £60 charges due to unauthorised overdraft. This was shown on the bottom of my statement which was due on the 6th of the month and received on the 10th/11th of the month advising me that the charges would be applied to my account on the 28th of April.

Have you tried ringing Abbey and asking them to reverse the charge (providing it's not a frequent occurrence) they might do this. They did in my case.

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area and any advice offered is given in good faith.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/Ombudsman-news/40/40_setoff.htm

Charges were been applied to my account on the same day as it slipped into overdraft. It is virtually instantaneous.

I have never been given 14 days notice or received a statement showing charges to be applied prior to this charging.

If my account slips into overdraft, the increase the problem by placing it more into overdraft. Eg; slipped into overdraft by 52p and they applied £50 in charges on my account so then my overdraft was £50.52 without any notification or warning notices.

It sounds as if the system has operated for you, but most definately not in my case.

Another episode in my Abbey saga. Today my pension arrived in my bank account (1st of the month) and I had a direct debit due yesterday.

The direct debit went out yesterday and today, on the same day funds arrived in the account, they have reversed the direct debit for £12, I am checking regularly because I know they will apply charges of £50, (without any notice as usual)

I have detected a change in Abbey since I SAR'd them. I still have not yet received this. They are getting nasty since I sent for the SAR.

I have a £700 overdraft which is maxed out.

I have a NatWest parachute account. I am thinking of arranging for my pension and Incapacity Benefit to be moved to this account and continue with the claiming of my charges. They owe me a lot of money.

Does this sound like the right thing to do at present, or am I being too hasty? Help!!!