Call from 02202

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had a missed call on my (O2) mobile yesterday afternoon from the number 02202 which seems to be a cleverly disguised marketing organisation getting you to upgrade and/or give you mins/txts in exchange for a monthly fee. Unfortunately, "WhoCallsMe" doesn't offer a definitive answer to their identity - but the general concensus is they are NOT O2.

Seems that this number has been active for a few years, but surpised nothing has appeared on these forums yet... One to watch out for.

The BidsterMeister

Helper of the hapless and hopeless...

Apparently, it comes up as "number not recognised" - I've not tried myself, but various Google results indicate as such. It's not called since - but I've disabled my voicemail (it costs 10p a go to retrieve them on my O2 PAYG) so the phone just rings and rings - Bit of a shame for them, if I was looking for an upgrade theres no way for me to contact them to see what they can do ;)

The BidsterMeister

This number rang my 16 year old son the other day (he is on pay as you go with 02) they said his full name then asked him to confirm his address, at which point he told them where to go and ended the call.

Im just glad at 16 he had the sense not to give them any further details.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally spoke to them the other day... English chap in a noisy office claimed to be from O2 and wonder if they could help me out based upon my phone usage... I then asked what they thought of my usage and how they could help and he said he needed ME to tell THEM my usage.

I said "you're O2, my network provider so you already know my usage"... He got a bit evasive and hung up...

The BidsterMeister

• 8 months later...
This number rang my 16 year old son the other day (he is on pay as you go with 02) they said his full name then asked him to confirm his address, at which point he told them where to go and ended the call.

Im just glad at 16 he had the sense not to give them any further details.

You could tell him that is one occassion when swear words are permitted.

• 1 month later...

I had this phone call yesterday and when I answered, I was asked to give my full name, DOB, home address, phone number etc. Stupidly, I answered all of their questions. After hanging up the phone I realised what I'd done and started to panic, so I emailed 02 from their website to ask if it was them.

I didn't receive a reply by email within 24 hours as it had said, but today I had a call from a different number which was unknown and answered. It turned out to be a person from the o2 customer service team and she confirmed that it definitely was o2 calling, but she did say that if any other number, apart from 02202 rings and asks for details claiming to be o2, it will be fake and to report it. About 20 mins after this call I got an email from o2 saying thanks for talking to us today blah blah blah.

**So the number is genuine and safe**

I got a text message from o2 today confirming that my tarriff has been switched over, which is what was said on the phone.

• 2 weeks later...
I had this phone call yesterday and when I answered, I was asked to give my full name, DOB, home address, phone number etc. Stupidly, I answered all of their questions. After hanging up the phone I realised what I'd done and started to panic, so I emailed 02 from their website to ask if it was them.

I didn't receive a reply by email within 24 hours as it had said, but today I had a call from a different number which was unknown and answered. It turned out to be a person from the o2 customer service team and she confirmed that it definitely was o2 calling, but she did say that if any other number, apart from 02202 rings and asks for details claiming to be o2, it will be fake and to report it. About 20 mins after this call I got an email from o2 saying thanks for talking to us today blah blah blah.

**So the number is genuine and safe**

I got a text message from o2 today confirming that my tarriff has been switched over, which is what was said on the phone.

This is defo o2 i got a call from this number last week went through sec Qs etc, asked if happy with o2 blah blah, they even gave me a free upgrade phone as i have spent abit on my o2 PAYG just waiting for it to be delivered now its a nokia flip phone, even got a confirmation email off o2, and changed my tarrif for me which gives me more for my money.

If you have registered your o2 PAYG you get a lot better deal off them.

ataxidriver64

This is defo o2 i got a call from this number last week went through sec Qs etc, asked if happy with o2 blah blah, they even gave me a free upgrade phone as i have spent abit on my o2 PAYG just waiting for it to be delivered now its a nokia flip phone, even got a confirmation email off o2, and changed my tarrif for me which gives me more for my money.

If you have registered your o2 PAYG you get a lot better deal off them.

ataxidriver64

Well just to update on this, upgrade phone arrived today from o2.