Scots or English Law

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6553 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. New to the site but had a good look through as much as I can and cn't find what I'm looking for.

Sometime in the past I remember getting a standard letter from my bank (BOS) enclosing notification to a change in their banking rules. Basically they were telling me that they were required by law (it may have been something to do with Human Rights Legislation) to notify me that they were going to deal with me under the laws of a particular country and that unless I had any specific objections they would deal with me under English Law!!! This was a standard print leaflet so I can't be the only one who received this. Does anyone else remember this??

Surely if I have remembered correctly then we would be entitled to claim under English legal system. For example claims could extend back 6 years and not the Scottish 5 years and would also not be restricted to small claims court.

I'm probably talking total nonsense but anyone any ideas????

Hi Scottish Simon! When you say that the bank were going to 'deal with you', what did they mean?! I'm pretty sure (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), that if you are in Scotland and YOU start the claim, then Scottish rules apply...

Abbey - 547.00 settled in full.

Second claim: £204 WON.

Barclaycard - 142.88 incl interest due WON BY DEFAULT as they didn't even bother entering a defence. Barclaycard paid up £184.88.

MBNA - Concluded £634.31

Capital One Concluded £148

Kinda disappointed I've no more banks to go after now...