• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Campaign against the CSA

Tigstheterror
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I for one, am damn annoyed with CSA.

My husband fathered a child 5 years ago before we were together with a woman he had a brief fling with, they were never in a relationship and she told him she was infertile and could not get pregnant, so no contrception was used. Niave of my husband to believe her obviously he should have taken precautions. They both went theyre seperate ways, then 2 years ago she tracked him down throu a social networking site, and informed him he had a daughter. He was obviously shocked and asked why get in touch now....her answer was she had met a man and been in a relationship and bringing up the child as if it were his, when the relationship ended she decided to find my husband and chase him for CSA. My husband paid for a DNA test and the child is indeed his. He has been paying cash every week to this woman since. She does not work, gets her full rent and council tax paid, She told us she had just had sky tv installed, bought a new plasma tv and goes out drinking when we have the girl every other saturday. Then she had the cheek last week to say she is skint and asked if he cud give her more money every week. Im livid! I understand ppl should contribute to their childs upbringing....but my partner feels " forced fatherhood" highly unfair. He never wanted a child and didnt even know about her for 2 years. Nobody forces women into motherhood, the woman has choices....a man has no say at all, yet is forced to be finacially and emotionally burdened for the next 16 years. I myself have a 16 year old son who hasnt seen his dad since he was 7, and i have had no cash off him whatsoever apart from CSA did once send me a cheque for £1.62 6 years ago . If it was up to me, this vulture would not get a penny, and i really begrudge her getting the cash off us to do with as she pleases......Tiglet says her ex is going to Greece, yet she had to pay for her sons passport to go on holiday.....Did the father take the son with him to Greece then? If so, why is she complaining about paying for his passport if the father has paid to take him on holiday with him! I think thats fair. I really dont know what some women expect! they want everything!

• 4 weeks later...

The CSA needs a good shake up it's 2011 we are in a recession and they should not be allowed to treat people like this!

My partner lost his business last year and stopped paying maintenance payments. He now has an agency job where they ring him the night before to advise him if he has work (only job he can get at the moment).

The CSA have now applied to take £75 a week from him, he only earns £200 a week on a good week! We have 1 child, a mortgage which is £700 a month because we can't change to a better rate because of debt problems. £100 C/tax £30 Water rates etc etc etc. There seems know way out of this.

Whilst his ex who has recently damaged my property with a hammer and got off with a caution! Has a brand new house, brand new car, holidays in Egypt/Dominican Republic/Ibiza, has a new baby on the way with designer clothes bought in prep! Doesn't work and claims benefits has a good lifestyle and is laughing all the way to the bank.

My partner is at his whits end, depressed, can't see a way out. This is effecting my life our child and our future. What do we do? We are not disputing having to make payments but such a large ammount from such a small wage seems rediculous.:-x

£200 a week and pay £75 not correct

this is what he has to do

1. Go utr/ self employed on agency and don't pay a penny to re-assessed

£200 a week = 1. Child 15% = £30

£200 a week = 2. child 20% = £40

• 1 year later...

Hi tigs are you still campaigning against the CSA? I am married to a man that has two children with his ex wife. The evil twisted bitch told him when he left she would ruin him and is using the CSA to do just that. When he left her I was not on the scene and met him two years after they split up. We have since had a little boy who is really suffering because of the CSA.

My husband is a decent man and left her with the house with almost no mortgage a brand new car fully paid for all the endowment and insurance policies. He left with nothing but the clothes he had to make sure his ex and children were safe and secure. So in total he gave her around £140,000.00 in equity etc. not a penny of this will be taken into account. The CSA have decided that they are taking over £2000 a month to "support" these children. Trust me we do not have that much income. We are now in a position where we live off a credit card which is now maxed out and cannot afford to pay for food clothes or our bills. They give more to his ex for two children than they will allow us to have for the three of us to live. We cannot afford our rent any more and will be homeless soon. We do not recieve any benefits at all including any family support because we are living abroad at the moment. We moved as our day to day life was being made unbearable by his ex. We are completely stuck as we are going to be on the streets and cannot afford to come back home. I wrote to our MP who basically shunned us as we are not living in England at the moment.

Not being Residents in the country we are in we cannot get a loan we cannot get any help from the government and basically were told that we would have to go into a hostel until we get deported. All this with no monetary help as we are English residents. I believe all fathers should pay something to help with their children but to the point where myself my husband and our son are going to have to scrounge on the streets is ridiculous. We also have no healthcare and cannot afford the basics such as dentistry and doctors which terrifies me if something happens to my son.

All the time this is going on my husbands ex is getting thousands in single persons benefits and has hardly any outgoings as my husband left her everything. We have been told that in England on my husbands salary she would only be entitled to £5000 a year we are currently paying £24,000.00. No one can tell me it costs that much to bring up two kids with no mortgage.

The CSA have made 10 assessments over the past year and made an increase every time. I am at the point where I don't want to get up in the morning and my son is now having to miss school trips due to the fact we cannot pay for them. We have no savings, no way of raising the money and have been advised we are being charged £200 a month in interest because we cannot physically get any money. We have no house and no car to sell. I have sold my jewellery to pay for food last month and now I have nothing. I cannot believe how disgusting this organisation is. As a family we are being destroyed. I feel sick that I had to sell sentimental items to give the money to his ex and I cannot imagine how he feels watching me doing it.

Someone has to make this a fair system I wish I knew how to deal with it. We have had our human rights completely obliterated by the CSA. Aren't we entitled to the basics in life such as food and healthcare. And why is my son worth nothing while his other children have £2000 a month. I have trawled through sites and it makes me sick to her all these women saying that men should pay up for their kids or not had them. It takes two to make a child and one person should not have 100% of the cost. It should be 50/50. All I get from the this is that women will have children to trap men into paying for them whilst claiming everything tax free and abuse systems. The CSA make this so easy for them.

There is no greater joy than having your child in your arms but to turn them into to tools for destruction of another person is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. Everyone deserves a life we are not here for that long. I understand there are fathers or mothers that won't help so penalise them not the decent fathers that care and try to make things right.

I am desperate and broken. I don't want my son to grow up like this he never asked to be brought into this world and should not be treated like **** just because he is part if a second family. It is tempting to leave my husband just so my son has a chance of a decent life (and no I would not involve the CSA ) but I love him and hope one day we will be recognised as a family and not a cash cow for a lazy vindictive woman.

This has destroyed our relationship with his children I don't know how this will ever be rebuilt. I don't think I could bear having them around with the latest technology and everything they could possibly want while my son is sat there in clothes that are crap and nothing to look forward to. Harsh I know but I am a mother too and my priority is the health, safety and love for my son not someone who my husband is getting stitched up for.

I feel sorry for any man wanting a child because if it all goes wrong you will just end up known as a dead beat dad with no rights to a life or the upbringing of your children. And you will always have the burning hate that you cannot do a thing other than hand over everything you earn to someone whom you probably will not be able to stand the sight of and never be able to find even the slightest amount of happiness in your own.

Whine over if anyone can offer any help or advice please do.

• 2 weeks later...

Emma,

How awful for you, it sounds desperate, but you will get through this, hang on in there.

I do not understand why you are paying anything at all though. If you are not in the UK (where are you?) the CSA cannot garnish your income.

Change your jobs & your location & I doubt you'd even be found. How have they worked out £24,000? That would assume an income of £120,000 surely? If you are accruing debts, it might be time to leave that country too! Transnational personal debt is practically impossible to recover. If they are in the UK, you should consider getting a Time Order. At this point all interest is normally frozen. It doesn't help your credit record, but it will ease the stress & stop more interest accruing. You might also consider going bankrupt as you'll be out of it in one year.

Your partner's ex is would now be getting full benefits with £24,000 on top, that's shocking.

It seems incredible that the CSA would keep charging you that amount when you are in that much difficulty, but they are after all a bunch of cadaverous, larcenous, opaque snot-noses that need a good spanking with a particularly prickly & angry cactus.

The CSA is a system, & you have to know how to play it. The UK is full of men who walked away from the assets in their houses. What are your plans (i.e returning to the UK or not), & what roughly are your earnings - are you paying more than 20% of net income?

I hope your situation is a little better than it sounds. The way you've put it the best plan would be - move back to the UK, file for bankrupcy, claim benefits get free accommodation, & stick any valuables in a parents house! You can only fight for so long. You'll feel relief when it's done, & she won't be skinning you alive.

Emma,

How awful for you, it sounds desperate, but you will get through this, hang on in there.

I do not understand why you are paying anything at all though. If you are not in the UK (where are you?) the CSA cannot garnish your income.

Change your jobs & your location & I doubt you'd even be found. How have they worked out £24,000? That would assume an income of £120,000 surely? If you are accruing debts, it might be time to leave that country too! Transnational personal debt is practically impossible to recover. If they are in the UK, you should consider getting a Time Order. At this point all interest is normally frozen. It doesn't help your credit record, but it will ease the stress & stop more interest accruing. You might also consider going bankrupt as you'll be out of it in one year.

Your partner's ex is would now be getting full benefits with £24,000 on top, that's shocking.

It seems incredible that the CSA would keep charging you that amount when you are in that much difficulty, but they are after all a bunch of cadaverous, larcenous, opaque snot-noses that need a good spanking with a particularly prickly & angry cactus.

The CSA is a system, & you have to know how to play it. The UK is full of men who walked away from the assets in their houses. What are your plans (i.e returning to the UK or not), & what roughly are your earnings - are you paying more than 20% of net income?

I hope your situation is a little better than it sounds. The way you've put it the best plan would be - move back to the UK, file for bankrupcy, claim benefits get free accommodation, & stick any valuables in a parents house! You can only fight for so long. You'll feel relief when it's done, & she won't be skinning you alive.

Hello :-D and thanks for the response.

We are in Australia, and the reason why we are being hounded is because she was not happy with the amount she was getting, so decided to take out a REMO. The very nice people at the CSA then asked whether she would prefer an English assessment at approx 5K or would she prefer the Australian assessment which is assessed on gross salary and includes Fringe Benefit Tax on the Vehicle. We are currently paying 45% of GROSS salary including the car allowance which is deemed as disposable income (We never see this as it is tax so goes straight to the government.) They also charge a high rate for vehicles here on the tax side. And of course being the bitter twisted ex guess which one she took. We even proved through the stats produced about liveability that Australia is generally 30% more expensive to live than the UK and rent is around three times as much. Thing is they dont think it takes 12K a year to bring up six year old who cannot be left alone and needs care in school holidays. I did ask them to justify why that is the case and was told we pay her extra to be at home to look after her children and and that my husband's salary is not for him to contribute for me to be around to look after our child. And that I need to work full time to support myself and child !!!!!!!

I was working but the cost of the childcare was expensive and the CSA deemed that I was able to pay for our son and bills so it actually left us worse off.

We have been to the Commonwealth Ombudsmen and explained everything to them but they just say that it is her choice as to which one she would like. Nothing is taken into account that we receive no help with our own child. We have to cover all our healthcare etc as we are on a working visa. Because we are not Australian residents and because we are not living in England neither country will listen to anything we put forward. In fact the guy t the CSA here told me over the phone it was my husbands fault for taking a job away from an Australian. He then went on to say that if my son got sick work weekends to pay for it. Even though there is no childcare on weekends and I have no family to help.

What I cannot understand and this is where greed overtakes everything !! We cannot pay our utility bills this month now, we cannot pay for our visa to stay here so will be deported by Australia for not having a valid visa. Not sure how they go about it though! So out of all of this we will end up back in England with no jobs, no home and no money. So she will receive a big fat ZERO. My mind boggles, so we will then become a burden on the the UK Government.

Yes she receives the full 24K from us and ALL the single persons benefits of is probably taking home a princely sum of around 30 - 40K and year tax free. Forgot to add that she always works under the 16hrs so add that into the 30-40K she gets a year tax free. Funny thing is when I plug our details into the UK benefits assessment they seem to think that for my husband myself and child including housing benefits, council tax allowance and child benefit would only need around 11K? Things dont add up somewhere.

The amount we are paying is absolutely obscene, considering she has almost no mortgage and no car finance. Both children are in the same house so shouldn't that be taken into account? We are in theory paying enough to bring up two adults in separate houses including all bills, food etc. for two children living in one mortgage free home. The funny thing (well not really funny) is that when my husband and his ex split my husband was not even taking home 24K working full time, so the CSA theory of the child should be kept in the same style they were accustomed to is crazy, and the thing they say about the child going from the mothers home to the fathers home should have an equal standard of living is crap. We will never in a million years be able to afford to go and see them or pay for them to come here. And if they did we could not afford to feed them or take them anywhere as we cannot afford those luxuries for ourselves.

I am all for people paying to support their children but it should always be 50/50 and be on a set amount not sliding scales, and assets left SHOULD be taken into account as that HUGELY reduces her outgoings. It should never be 100% cost to the father. Most dads want to help and be part of the child's life it is only a few that are truly absent. One child is over 14 now so does not need the costs of babysitters or being picked up from school and is legally allowed to babysit his sister so what stops her working full time and contributing 50% of the costs. We have another 7 years of this pain ahead of us and from what I see it doesn't end there. We could be told that the case is finished and closed and then receive some fictitious arrears out of the blue at anytime.

Yes I am bitter we have worked our guts out and given up everything to be treated like a piece of dirt and end up with nothing. If anyone decides to take on the CSA I will back them 100% and give up time and energy to help do it.

• 1 month later...

One highly irritating features of the CSA is their lack of common sense and refusal to negotiate.

I started work and was quite willing to pay a realistic amount to my ex. The CSA refused to take into consideration my travelling expenses of 160 quid per month oyster,quoting the law states it must be 15% of earnings.

The wages were not great and this basically made the job untenable . I would not be able to pay rent, council tax with what was left. Is it not possible to say we can take up to 15% but we can make a sensible judgement. It seemed carzy to me particularly since I got off my backside from JSA to start the job.

I lost out, my daughter lost out , my ex lost out. I put a case to the independent case examiner. One outcome was that the CSA should send me a copy of their service standard documentation. They sent me one dated 2007, indicating to me that they have not bothered to even start thinking about how to improve their service to the public. The DWP and CSA needs shaking up