A New Credit File & Clearing Unpaid Debt On Credit File

nmp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5327 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have started this new thread for various reasons but fundamentally to start the debate of " getting a new credit file by changing personal details by deedpoll" and attempting to clear unpaid debt from credit files.

I have quite a problem ;

When I was 18 I had every credit card and bank account known to man. I was practically a "Credit Addict" any credit I could get I applied for. It was like an addiction - from credit cards to catalouges and pay day loans!. Buy now pay latter was my dream! God, am I now paying the price. I am now in my late 20's and cant even get a mobile phone contract let alone a mortgage or a overdraft facility.

I recently got my credt file and its basically full of searches and linked addresses. pages and pages! Surprisingly on the "credit account" section there are about 4 bad debts Barclays, A&L, Welcome Finance and HSBC totalling to about 10k in debt. Although I know that there are more because I am getting plenty of letters from other creditors that are not listed on any credit files? (maybe because the debt is too old?) the 4 creditors that I have mentioned above are all in the past 4 years!!

I am at the end of my road - I have no idea what to do. I have taken as much advice as possible from the forum and have started to write to all of the companies and asking them to prove the debt requesting the CCA. They are writing back bit by bit and advising me that the debt has been sold on and that the my request for the CCA is NOT applicable to Current Account Debt.

Should I continue to try and get the CCA's and reuest them to remove any adverse information on my credit file? Or do I try and change my name? and hope for a new chance with a fresh credit file? or is this all a falicy?

I have letters from creditors coming out of my ears but only 4 of them are on the credit files? nothing seems to match up?

What I really need is a clean credit file so that I can get some fnancial stability, buy a home etc. It seems thats never going to happen.

I now have a bank account - current account with a £100 overdraft. FINALLY! and thats only because I complaind to te CEO of the bank for 6 months!!!!! so I guess they gave it to me to shut me up!

Any advice / help / support is very very welcome!!!!

Edited by nprentice

Continue to Cliam the Right!:-)

Okaaaaay - ve have a problem I see :D Changing your name might get you into more trouble than it's worth although others with more knowledge than me about that might like to advise off line.

My advice as to all these accounts is to not try and do them all at the same time, or at least, separate them into separate files because you are going to have to treat each one individually and follow a trail. - How good's your admin? Sounds like you have the whole bag of situations here, some with their original creditors, some sold off to dca's, some might even be statute barred.

You have to consider doing all these things for each account:

a) Getting the original documents - the CCA request you are already doing

b) SAR

c) having a complete set of fully itemised statements for each account

d) Identifying who actually owns the debts just now

e) Establishing the true value of each debt by identifying the reclaimable

charges

f) establishing if the account is statute barred or when it will be -(6 yrs from

the last payment date)

g) Identifying exactly what is on your credit file in relation to each one

There's a whole list of things but that will do for starters. Once you have that start a separate thread for each account and list the above details out. Then we can take a step at a time to deal with them.

Oh, and one thing, you have taken the first positive step by coming here and deciding to deal with this debt, it catches us all up at some time or another and takes time to put right, but you'll get there - NEVER lose heart on here you are never alone...:)

Sarah

Sarah - thanks so much for your advice.

I have done what you have suggested here and posted most of the debt matters individually on the forums. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of them now!

I had a letter from HSBC this morning saying that they have wiped off one of the debts so thats good news

Continue to Cliam the Right!:-)

Well done, I don't have much time this weekend to go over this, but I'll come back to them one by one. Why exactly did HSBC write this debt off and what did they say? Useful to know what you did and how it came to result in being wiped out - what about the credit ref agy side?

• 3 months later...

The immdediate difficulty I can see with changing name by deed-poll is that every application form for just about everything asks for any former name. Failing to disclose same could amount to fraud.

I can, however, see some attraction in changing one's name to, say, Kenneth Maynard, and then having fun with postal redirection...:D

There is actually no law preventing you from calling yourself what you like, providing doing so is not for any criminal purpose. I regularly use a pseudonym when writing to DCAs on behalf of others, which reminds me that I must try to be more imaginative and use the names of bank chairmen and other financial luminaries such as Mr Green and Mr Brown, the infamous travelling 'licenced agents', sometimes.

It is clear that the DCAs are not familiar with the works of the Baroness Orczy - or if they are, they don't let on...

The immdediate difficulty I can see with changing name by deed-poll is that every application form for just about everything asks for any former name. Failing to disclose same could amount to fraud

I had the same set of concerns for the thread holder too. Most forms, but not all, do seem to ask for former names. Also, some but not all, request to know about existing loans. Anyone seeking another credit file would have to be quite astute. If lessens however, are learnt from former mistakes, the possibility of being born again, is possible.

If my post helped you feel better, click my scales.

There is actually no law preventing you from calling yourself what you like, providing doing so is not for any criminal purpose. I regularly use a pseudonym when writing to DCAs on behalf of others, which reminds me that I must try to be more imaginative and use the names of bank chairmen and other financial luminaries such as Mr Green and Mr Brown, the infamous travelling 'licenced agents',

Try "Reggie Kray" or "Ronnie Knight." and open a P O box with an East End address. That might get you even further. L.O.L.:grin:

If my post helped you feel better, click my scales.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest 38candy

In 2005 I received a letter from a recovery agency for Nat West Bank . Which I was unaware of as I never received any letters from the bank. I later found out the address was changed by my expartner on a joint account so when they were sending the letters it was sent to my ex partner's address in Kent which of course he did not tell me.

I paid the debt but it is still on my credit file as satisfied default (£335). I am now unable to obtain any credit. I have now found out that other creditors see this as bad as CCJs.

Dec 08 I went into debt management plan with CCCS for the amount of £15k on five accounts. If I can pay this off by May 09 - will a default notice be added to my credit file?

Can someone tell me if I am now in default with these accounts even if some have accepted the arrangement.

• 1 month later...

Hi, talking from experience about the deed poll thing, dont do it hon, it wont work.

I also have a terrible credit rating which I'm attempting to approve and if anyone can answer a question, would be grateful, I had a phone and dongle with 3g, but couldnt get a signal, so I returned them and argued not fit for purpose, but they have still logged a default on my file, how can I get it removed?

• 2 months later...
Hi, talking from experience about the deed poll thing, dont do it hon, it wont work.

I also have a terrible credit rating which I'm attempting to approve and if anyone can answer a question, would be grateful, I had a phone and dongle with 3g, but couldnt get a signal, so I returned them and argued not fit for purpose, but they have still logged a default on my file, how can I get it removed?

I don't know if you have worked this out yet. I had a few defaults on my credit file which I have had them remove: Basically you need to write them a letter saying that you "just checked your credit file and noticed that a default has been placed against an account in your name, that you never received such a notice and ask for them to send you a copy of this notice."

I think basicaly they dont keep a copy of everything and legally if they cant provide evidence of this then they will have to remove the default. They will try and write crap back to you a few times but just be persistant. Eventually I had them all removed.

I think there is another post on here that says the same thing so you could have a look.

Hope this helps! ;-)

On Mobiles you might find this helpful ..I've just had one removed, but as Busby says on here, most mobile contracts do not guarantee receiption so getting defaults removed isn't easy with mobile companies you have to fight long and hard and hutchinson are a nightmare...take a scroll through this http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telecoms-mobile-fixed/201748-default-removal-robbrad-hutchinson.html and also there's a thread called Default Hell by someone who's name escapes me, but it gives you chapter and verse on defaults..it's a long but extremely enlightening thread

A1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi I have 5 credit cards which I am paying£ 800 a month as an interst towordsmy account, but now I can't afford to pay this amount because of my sircumstanses. I wrot a letter to Barclaycard, Halifax but I don't know whether the credit is enforceable. Thank you for reading this I will be appreciated for anyone who has an idea what happened next?