£2500 worth or repairs!?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5877 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey Guys

I come to you, cap in hand, desperate for advise before my landlord tries to rip me off almost 2500 pounds!

OK story as follows:

Found a house in a local agency, they put me direct to the landlord (so its not a managed property). Signed up, paid deposit and went round on day 1. Found the landlord had already done the entry inventory. He left a note asking me to sign it. I read over it, found i wholey disagreed with it and told him so. I asked him to revise it and he did but no where near enough. I still refused to sign it.

Anyway ... the inventory issue vanished (with me not signing it).

Now, my bad this bit: I fitted a projector screen and projector. Didn't ask him and just did it. However, i knew FULL well that when I left I would repair i.e. fill the holes and paint over - which I did. Anyway, during the tennacy he came over a couple of times after the screen was fitted and didn't say a word about it.

Now he is trying to sting me for a knatts chuff under £2500 worth of repairs etc which is rediculous! For example, he is saying we never cleaned the place once .... well, first, how would he know and second, I have a letter from our cleaning lady to put him straight ;-) He is also saying that we put the projector/screen up etc and he now needs £100 to repair it ... stunning! I've already repaired it! Let me clarify that this house was in a poor state to start with. None of it had been freshly decorated/cleaned before we moved in, hence my unwillingness to sign the inventory.

I will also be obtaining a letter from the agency people to verify this.

Now, my main question is that, as I refused to sign the entry inventory (or the exit inventory that i've not even seen yet or invited to attend), where do I stand with the TDS? It says on there website that they will reject claims by landlords that are not backed up my an entry inventory yet, if you read the case studies they have, they clearly do not. I have also been told by someone else that I should maybe take this to court as without a signed inventory to say I agree, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.......

I know he only has quotes as well for the work and not actuall receipts, I could be wrong but I seem to remember reading the TDS will only honour receipts.....?

Please, thoughts? Where do I stand? What do i do?

Many thanks!!!!

p.s. are consumables covered on inventories i.e. salt rock stuff for a water filter?