Does Nominet have any legal authority to take my domain name from me?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5879 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am currently embroiled in the Nominet Disputer Resolution Service regarding

a domain name i purchased back in 2005. following some research I have done about them I am worried that they will lean in favour of the company that has complained rather than me because they have more money to throw about. It seems the Nominet system is a way of making money, and if you can't afford to fight you lose your name.

However having done some research, I cam across the itunes.co.uk dispute & it raised some interesting issues.

Apparently the DTI states "we are not aware of any statutory recognition of Nominet. A domain name is a written representation of an internet electronic address and as such, like any other form of address e.g. a postal address, it should not be treated as intellectual property per se."

Following questions made under the Freedom of Information Act, the government has stated that there is "no formal relationship or written agreement" between the UK government and Nominet. As such, it is not a public body and so is subject only to the usual laws covering UK companies.

Now if this is the case, then does Nominet actually have any right whatsoever to take domain names away from people who have paid for them?

I could really use some help with this one guys, as I am more than willing to fight this all the way.

bump x

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes.

Nominet is the UK authority that manages Uk domain names.

If you had a name that was similar to a trade name, and the owner of that trade name requested it, Nominet can take it from you.

This is to stop people cashing in on trade names. In the begining of the internet, lots of trade names like 'Coca Cola' were bought up and hugh sums of money demanded for the release of that name to the company. That has all been stopped now, but there are some that slip through now and then.

There have also been problems with "typosquatting", where unscrupulous people buy domain names that are *similar* to actual domain names, and put either pay-per-view advertising or "unsavoury content" on them.

The backlash against this has caught some legitimate people however, such as "mikerowesoft.com" which was set up by a software engineer called Mike Rowe, but the name was then turned over to Microsoft by the registrar.

Nominet is not a public body, but they *are* the authority for .uk domain names. As a result, they have a duty to correct instances of domain-squatting and typosquatting. However, if you are doing neither of these things and can show legitimate interest in the domain name in question, you should - morally at least - be able to get it back.