how many points will a default deduct from your credit score?

lavamyz
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5883 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

i'm just wondering if there's a typical number of points or a percentage figure that having a default on your credit file will effect your credit score by?

i've just joined checkmyfile and i'm amazed to find a default for 259 quid to O2 for a phone contract i considered closed. needless to say i am not letting it lie!

comparing my callcredit to my equifax score (the data isnt the same across both files) there's a difference of over 200 points where the equifax file has this default (the callcredit score is 824, equifax is 617)

The default was registed almost a year ago, since then i've remortgaged my house with a high street lender and got 6 BTL mortgages all without a problem. trouble is i'm about to make another purchase and fear being turned down now due to bank's tighter lending criteria with this default floating around

any help or pointers appreciated!

REgards

Leighton

Hello,

The credit scoring system allocates points for each piece of relevant information and added together to produce a score. When your score reaches a certain level then it stays as a ‘good’ or even ‘excellent’ credit score.

Credit scoring is based on the history of credit obtained, level of payment history as well as the above as well as age, employment etc thus supplying a reference point for credit companies to predict future performance of supplying credit

Certain things can have adverse effect on the credit scores such as if there are several searches done in a short period of time the credit score might drop, Same for debt or default. Different agencies might use various methods to make a credit score so even if there were no debt or defaults of any kind, their system might produce a different rating simply due to using another method when making their own credit score about you..

If a default is cleared you can write to the credit agency and ask them to remove the default after complying with their request to provide evidence that the default has been paid although it might take some time before it is removed from file or shown as being ‘cleared’. You can also query anything you feel might not be correct on your credit rating.

Equifax Home

Credit Reports: Get your Credit Report from Experian UK http://www.callcredit.co.uk/home

These are the three companies that are mainly called upon to provide credit history.

Hope this helps some : - )