Virgin Media/NTL - Information for Typetalk Users

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5886 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm really, really sorry if this isn't the right place, perhaps it should be in the disability forum, I'm not sure. I received some wonderful advice earlier in the General Debt forum and I'm now posting this because I hope it might help someone else.

Virgin Media (Ex-NTL) Rebates for Typetalk Users

Typetalk is an operator assisted telephone service provided by the RNID for minicom (textphone) users who need to call someone who does not have a textphone. This service is not only for non-hearing people, but also for the speech impaired and those with communication difficulties. The Typetalk service is absolutely free but the calls costs a lot more than normal spoken calls because everything you say has to be re-spoken to the person at the other end and everything they say back has to be typed and sent through to you by the operator.

BT offer a discount (which I think is now 60%) for anyone using this service but you have to let them know you want the discount! However, they are pretty good at setting it up and ensuring that you actually do get it.

I use Virgin Media and have had terrible problems as they totally denied that they offered ANY rebate at all to Typetalk users.

I looked up their Code of Practice as it seemed unlikely that they didn't and discovered that, guess what, they do! (It's on pages 12 and 13 of the above document and is number 5.7 in the list). This states that they facilitate discounts on both RNID Typetalk and BT Relay Assist (another operator assisted service) and that the refund will "appear discounted on Virgin Media Bills". It goes on to say that customers may be required to register to receive discounts.

When I emailed them about this I received a reply saying they knew nothing about it and they tried to get me to sign up to 'Call Unlimited' where I would pay a fixed fee to make endless calls. I didn't want that, I wanted my discount! I then rang them (Customer Services) through Typetalk and, again, they said they didn't know how I could register or receive the discount.

In fury, in the end, I rang Typetalk who contacted Virgin Media on my behalf. At first they tried to deny that they offered any discount but Typetalk mentioned the code of practice and they finally agreed that they do offer a 50% discount on all calls made via Typetalk or Relay Assist.

They do, however, need to register you!

I'm posting this because Virgin Media customer services seem to be unaware of this and actually deny that they offer a discount and it's probably the case that many people are not receiving the discount to which they're entitled.

If you are on Virgin Media, use Typetalk or Relay Assist, then ring Typetalk :

Text :18001 0800 500 888

Voice: 0800 7 311 888

Explain that you want a discount and they can contact Virgin Media on your behalf to bully them into giving it!

Don't let them get away with not giving you the discount because YOU ARE ENTITLED TO IT.

I hope this helps someone and is not a useless post.

I think this would probably be more relavent in the Special needs/Disability Forum so have moved it there :)

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.