• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

The OFT Case

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5611 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a clarification exercise, I have actually just read the 119-page blob of legalese, and there are a couple of points that most people haven't realised.

The judge determined that the *present* T&Cs used by the banks do not operate on the "breach of contract" principle when levying Relevant Charges. He said nothing at all about *historical* T&Cs, such as those in effect when I reclaimed my charges in 2005.

I get the distinct impression that if he *had* considered these historical terms, he would have found them to operate in the "breach of contract" mode, and thus subject to the "penalty charge" rules in common law. So if you have old charges to reclaim, you may do so under the penalty-charge rules if your T&Cs for the time period in question allow. This is mostly helpful to business claimants.

The *other* ruling is that the OFT has free reign to apply the UTCCRs to the current T&Cs and their Relevant Charges. This is *good* because it probably means that the charges will be disallowed or greatly reduced. The judge's reasoning in this matter is extremely involved, but I believe that the banks will find it extremely difficult to wriggle out from under it.

Part of the latter decision, for example, is that the Unpaid Item Fee is most certainly not a "fee for a service", because no service is provided to the consumer holding the account. This is plainly obvious to the layman, and that fact formed part of his reasoning. The other Relevant Charges were determined not to be "fees for a service" by a different and more complex reasoning.

• 2 months later...

I believe there is a hearing next week to consider whether the bank's t&cs previously used are capable of being penalties.

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

I would bet that the vast majority of the claims currently stayed are based (at least in part) on historic terms and conditions.

The wording is different in the past T & C's, explicitly stating you must not do this etc, the only institutions which hasn't frantically re written its T & C's is Nationwide.

However if the historic T & C's support the contention that the charges ARE penalties what does that mean? The action is the same, surely by changing the wording the banks shouldn't be let off?

My main concern is that, through thier own short term greed, banks are now having a very tought time of it. Nobody in power wants to take a shot at the banks at this time.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

When is more news coming out re the OFT case as I have to go to court on the 11th for a full hearing against BOS and they are going to try for a third time to sist having already lost twice before. Theyb are now telling me that the charges are not penalty charges according to the OFT case:mad:

Provided we are talking about this one claim. First I had to go to court to fight a sist then we had a hearing when BOS did not turn up so i won by default when the extract for payment was sent. BOS asked for a recall saying their lawyers got the date for the hearing mixed up. So it was back to court for the recall that was when BOS tried to do a nother sist which they lost so now it is 11th july for the final hearing ( I hope):)

• 3 weeks later...

I find it is very difficult getting news about what is happening in court about the OFT case. When I was in court on the 11th july. The lawyer working for BOS came out with a lot of jargon about what had happened re ths case. things I knew nothing about so of course could not say anything:(. The only thing that worked in my favour was for the third time BOS was unable to sist the action:D But the judge continued the action for 10 weeks. So it is back to the court for the fifth time on the 19th. Sept.:mad: To think if I eventually all I can except to get for costs is a max of £76:mad:Of course it has cost me alot more than that.

Well I have left this simmer (oft case/judgment) for quiet a long time, but I would like to know what are the current developments, I guess there is another court Date!.. pending then another please enlighten me.. thanks.

Master Sun SAID:

Ultimate Excellence Lies Not in Winning Every Battle

But In Defeating the Enemy Without Ever Fighting.8-)

As far as I aware, I think the courts break for the summer at the end of the week until september(please correct me if I am wrong).

So it look like September then possibly on historics. This is a changing scerario.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Anyway thanks for the update (youbank) and I did not know that Banks followed the Schooling Education system of summer holidays, thought they where a financial extortion business excuse my sinisterism, hehe never mind bailiffs at the door got to let them in.

Master Sun SAID:

Banks aren't but the courts have specific sessions..which for the life of me I cannot remember.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Oooops thanks "yourbank" not paying attention pardon the pun!... well just hope that we get resolution sooner rather than later when I was pursuing my recharges I was on the ball, had a court date and all, (guna take a while to recall all the what to do's) had a few weeks until the OFT Case it bad timing for me as the OFT clarification on the charges, penalties what ever they are calling them is a drag and as I was an optimist and very pessimistic about this test case! drag drag and more drag.....

Master Sun SAID:

• 2 months later...

Here you Go!

Wednesday 08 October 2008

COURT 73

Before MR JUSTICE ANDREW SMITH

Not before 16:30

For Judgment

2007-1186 Office of Fair Trading v Abbey National PLC

Judgment will be available on the Court Service website shortly after 4.30.

Edited by SPROUTY

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.'

Thomas Jefferson 1802

Here you Go!

Wednesday 08 October 2008

COURT 73

Before MR JUSTICE ANDREW SMITH

Not before 16:30

For Judgment

2007-1186 Office of Fair Trading v Abbey National PLC

Judgment will be available on the Court Service website shortly after 4.30.

The historical judgement is TOMORROW, WOOOOOHOOOO!!!

*Bookie waves smallest flag available* :-|

Oh, come on... Does anyone think the historic charges are going to be found to be penalties when the new ones have been found not to be? (They're not for a service either, mind you! Now there's a trick! :rolleyes:)