• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Can I claim PPI

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5896 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just noticed in my Barclaycard statement that I am being charged for Payment Protection. This is not something I can ever recall agreeing, nor is it something that I would agree to.

Looking through the checklists of whether I have a valid claim or not, I cannot see anything that says of being sold PPI without knowledge.

However I would imagine that in these circumstances I do have the right to claim??

Anybody else have anything similar?

Thanks

My hubby is reclaiming for his MBNA credit card as he never: agreed to it / discussed it / asked for it / had it explained to him - but was being charged anyway!

I'm midway through the tunnel, but getting closer to the light.

Please be aware that i am not an expert in anything!

I may offer an opinion, but the final decision is yours.

hellhasnofury and others are the real knowledgable ones on this issue.8-)

I would say though, that if you have not agreed to PPI and it has been added to your Consumer Credit Agreement without your knowledge then you have a case to reclaim the costs incurred. :-D If you take time to check and follow some of the other threads you will soon get the idea of what has been happening.

PPI has been widely mis sold for some time and various financial institutions are about to reap the whirlwind for their lack of management.:eek:

Not all claims will succeed but if in doubt go for it. If you put up a fight you may win the try is worth the effort. I am claiming and may have to go to a court case:eek: If that happens you will see a massive increase in my posts:-D

good luck

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Thanks for all your feedback - I'll send the letter asking for the original Application Form. Is there a template for this letter anywhere on the site?

Thanks again,

Jon

Hello JK,

To send for your copy of your true credit agreement you need to send them a legal request under 77/78 of the consumer credit act

It is letter N on this link, It costs £1 and there is a 12working day for (default) and then a further 30 days (criminal default) timescales allow a further 2 for postage. Send a postal order and send it recorded delivery so you know that they received it (Royal mail website)

Creditors and DCAs - Letter Templates & Budget Planner

For a full disclosure of all information held by the Company you need to send a full SAR as AlanA stated, this costs £10 and there is a 40day + 2days postage for this. You will find it in the ppi stickies at the top of the ppi forum. Same process postal order, send recorded delivery

Good luck and keep us posted:grin:

Oh did you not see the programme re Barclays and their underhanded selling tactics:D

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Hi, thanks for your comments:

I was going to use the following template:

Your address

Their Address

Date

DATA PROTECTION ACT 1998

SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST

Dear Sir/Madam

Your name: xxxxxx

Account No/ No’s

I understand that you currently hold details of my personal and financial information within your internal record systems with regard to personal loan accounts And or credit cards

Please supply me with a complete list of transaction and charges relating to my history with your organization, INCLUDING Loans and or credit cards, payment protection insurance and other products. Alternatively a complete set of statements for the accounts or associated accounts is acceptable. I would be grateful if you would provide the following for ALL accounts or associated accounts I have held with your organization:

-Full copies of all contracts which you believe exist or have existed between myself and your organization, including true copies of any documents you hold in support of the same.

- A complete list of all transactions or statements relating to ALL of my Loan Accounts and or credit card with your organization.

-Copies of all documents which include any of my personal information including copies of any contacts or invoices, emails or computer records containing my personal information, or any records which pertain to this information.

-Full copies or transcripts of any correspondence in postal, email or any other format which you have entered into with any individual, organization or third party which contains my personal or financial, or which pertains to me.

- Where any previous information or records held have been deleted or disposed of, the methods used to do so, including dates, certificates or references confirming details of destruction. Where you are unable to provide such certificates, please provide a declaration, signed by an authorised officer of your company, confirming the dates and methods of destruction of this data.

-Full hard copy print outs of my personal or financial information, held in a digital, magnetic or any other format which is held in any archives, backups or other storage devices / locations.

I enclose a cheque in the sum of £10 to cover your fee.

IF YOU UNABLE TO DEAL WITH THIS REQUEST, YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY FORWARD IT TO THE PERSON WITHIN YOUR ORGANISATION RESPONSIBLE FOR DATA PROCECTION.

I look forward to hearing from you in the first instance of receipt.

Yours faithfully

As this also asks for my transaction history which I will also need, should I send this aswell or just sent letter N on your link and wait to see what arises from that??

Cheers,

JK

Hi, thanks for your comments:

I was going to use the following template:

Your address

Their Address

Date

DATA PROTECTION ACT 1998

SUBJECT ACCESS REQUEST

Dear Sir/Madam

Your name: xxxxxx

Account No/ No’s

I understand that you currently hold details of my personal and financial information within your internal record systems with regard to personal loan accounts And or credit cards

Please supply me with a complete list of transaction and charges relating to my history with your organization, INCLUDING Loans and or credit cards, payment protection insurance and other products. Alternatively a complete set of statements for the accounts or associated accounts is acceptable. I would be grateful if you would provide the following for ALL accounts or associated accounts I have held with your organization:

-Full copies of all contracts which you believe exist or have existed between myself and your organization, including true copies of any documents you hold in support of the same.

- A complete list of all transactions or statements relating to ALL of my Loan Accounts and or credit card with your organization.

-Copies of all documents which include any of my personal information including copies of any contacts or invoices, emails or computer records containing my personal information, or any records which pertain to this information.

-Full copies or transcripts of any correspondence in postal, email or any other format which you have entered into with any individual, organization or third party which contains my personal or financial, or which pertains to me.

- Where any previous information or records held have been deleted or disposed of, the methods used to do so, including dates, certificates or references confirming details of destruction. Where you are unable to provide such certificates, please provide a declaration, signed by an authorised officer of your company, confirming the dates and methods of destruction of this data.

-Full hard copy print outs of my personal or financial information, held in a digital, magnetic or any other format which is held in any archives, backups or other storage devices / locations.

I enclose a cheque in the sum of £10 to cover your fee.

IF YOU UNABLE TO DEAL WITH THIS REQUEST, YOU SHOULD IMMEDIATELY FORWARD IT TO THE PERSON WITHIN YOUR ORGANISATION RESPONSIBLE FOR DATA PROCECTION.

I look forward to hearing from you in the first instance of receipt.

Yours faithfully

As this also asks for my transaction history which I will also need, should I send this aswell or just sent letter N on your link and wait to see what arises from that??

Cheers,

JK

Hello Jk,

I personally would send both of them:grin:

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I sent the letters asking for my contract and transaction history - received yesterday ONLY:

Signed copy of Credit Card Agreement

Barclaycard Executed Agreement

Current Barclaycard Conditions

Ie, I've not received a history of charges which I requested - I want to see all of the PPI I've paid and any additional charges I've incurred.

First question is what should I do now regarding the missing info? Is it normal that they would be sent seperately - would it be different departments dealing with my letter?

Second question is regarding the PPI. The application is dated 17.5.01, which I have clearly signed (so must have done this in person but cannot remember doing so). The PPI box is ticked, however this is not something I have specifically opted into, it is preticked as printed on the application. I cannot recall being given any advice about this at the time of sale, and PPI is not something that I would ever knowingly agree to.

Do I have a case of a missale of PPI? If so, what should I do next?

Any feedback and advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

JK

Did you send £10 with the subject access request? Did you send it seperately?

They have 40 days to comply with this request.

Hi,

Sent me tenner with the letter - didn't send two seperate letters but combined the requests in the one letter. Is that ok, or should I have sent the letters seperately??

Thanks

Hi,

Sent me tenner with the letter - didn't send two seperate letters but combined the requests in the one letter. Is that ok, or should I have sent the letters seperately??

Thanks

That's not a prob. They obviously received it as they've responded to the CCA request. As i say, they have longer to comply with the SAR :)

Okey dokey, I'll keep my eye on the calendar for those 40 days..! Thanks for your help :)

Oh, one other thing - I did only send one ten pound cheque to them for the request which was for both copies of my contracts and my transaction history. Do you think that there is any chance that they will be of the opinion that the £10 did not cover all their administration costs and will not be forthcoming with both requests???

Hi Jonnyk

Do you have a copy of your origignal PPI policy?

I am having trouble getting copies of my documents in a letter from Citi Cards in relation to CCA s.78 they told me they do not have to send the full details of Executed Agreements they can make ommissions form this.

they should send all your statement under DPA request but will delay as long as possible.

Like you on my application the Box is preticked with a Printed "X" obviously you or I did not put it there. I am TRYING to claim on this aspect but I dont think they will submit to this and it will probably end up with the FOS to decide or the Court. Here is the address

Peter Townsend

Manager

Barclays Data Protection

Privacy and Data Protection

Radbroke Hall ,

Knutsford ,

Cheshire

WA16 9EU

You really have to push BC to send you ALL of the data, it took me 3 letters and 3 phone calls. Use the Radbrook Hall address - it worked for me

------------------------------------------------------------

First Direct - Refund of Bank Charges...... **WON** (Offered full amount of £5200 2 days before court)

Amex - Refund of charges..... **WON** (£330 refunded without much fight)

First Plus PPI - **WON** (Full Refund of over £7000 + Interest)

Norton Finance - Owe me over £6000 for mis-sold PPI - Starting court action in the new year!

Barclaycard PPi - Ongoing (Being complete tos*ers!)

I don't have any of my original contracts, just the copies that I have recently received, which is my Barclaycard Application, my Barclaycard Terms and Conditions and another updated Terms And Conditions.

I was intending to write a letter to that address (thanks for that info) requesting a refund on my PPI charges on the basis that I have been paying for insurance that I did not know I had taken out so could not have been explained properly to me, and refer to the preticked box. Incidentally, the printed cross in this box is about a quarter of the size of other preprinted crosses in the application, as if designed to be subtle and missed by the reader. Is that relevant??

Do I need more information before I can proceed with the above action?

I also want to claim charges I have incurred, but to get things in motion thought I'd maybe handle the two claims seperately.

Thanks a lot for all of the advice already given, all help is very much appreciated.

Hi Jonnyk

I am very very interested in your little Tick.

I believe the little Tick is definitely designed to be missed.

I believe when a customer asks for credit the "sales person" asks the relevant questions and Types in BIG X's in the appropiate boxes AND minuscule x's in the INAPPROPIATE boxes.

The application form is then sent/handed to the Prey/Victim/Customer to unwittingly sign for PPI which is hidden from their view.

I have seen X's not even printed in the boxes but a line below the "Boxes" and a minuscule x so cleverly hidden on the second ( o ) of the word protecti(o)n under the Box that it requires a magnifying glass to verify that it is there at all.

Clearly misleading; clearly miss selling and maybe theft or fraud but

definitely a con.

Keep in touch Jonnyk.

What do you make of this Hellhasnofury?????

I can't pretend that you can't see it - you can. Compared to the other preticked (precrossed) boxes, the difference in size would probably be similar to X x. So you can see it, but it is definitely easier to skim past without acknowleding when you read the contract, which I guess is exactly what's intended to happen, and it's definitely much smaller than other preticked boxes on the contract.

Ok, when agreeing to a contract I should have been more thorough in what exactly I was signing for, but as a naive 20 year old at the time, you're not so aware of the way these things work and get easily duped into such schemes.

I feel that I've got a pretty good case for misselling of PPI, how best should I prepare my argument?

Thanks guys.

While you are waiting for the rest of you documents, now is the time the to check this Site for for reasons of mis selling PPI.

Also check out "moneysavingexpert.com" PPI thats Martin Lewis of course.

I am not experienced enough to to advise you what to or how to claim.

Are you self employed?

Have a look at my Thread " Not Ticked the Box"

I will send you a Private Messege lol

Hi Norwich, thanks for your feedback. I'll try and have a look at your thread when I get home this evening, won't be having much of a lunch today unfortunately! :(

I just missed the boat with my unfair bank charges claim last year - I had a court date for my hearing in the summer, just after the OFT anounced the Test Case, and I have now been stayed.

Besides my Barclaycard, I feel I have also been missold PPI for my Barclays overdraft - it is not something I agreed to when I originally applied for an overdraft, and when I have extended my overdraft beyond the original amount online, I was unable to remove PPI - ie my application was unsuccessful unless the protection was ticked.

As I have details of all PPI payments from my earlier bank charges claim, (although I don't think I have my original overdraft application) can I jump straight to sending a letter reclaiming these payments?

I just phoned Barclays to try and cancel this PPI but was told I had to do this either by letter or by visiting my branch.

I want to get my claims underway as soon as poss, but don't want to hinder my chances by jumping the gun in any way.

Thanks.

Hi Jonnyk

Bank Account charges have been Stayed but NOT Credit Cards if yours is a Credit Card apply to have the Stay lifted.

I had 2 claims stayed one was Barclaycard the other was Littlewoods which is in fact also Barclaycard.

I applied to have stays lifted and wrote to The Barclays informing them of the fact I was doing so and BEHOLD they both paid out in Full.

Dont be to hasty ( I am afraid I am ) it pays not jump the gun be patient do your homework get the facts right then hit them. Today I had a letter from court saying Barclays were defending X x X x's you know what I mean.