Nationwide account - closed or not?

Cazziebo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5911 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I claimed back charges from Nationwide in December 06. I got the charges back, and also got a letter giving me notice my account would be closed.

I was to return my card. I opened a parachute account, transferred all the DDs etc. Nationwide sent me a cheque for the balance left in the account. After the date of closure, a direct debit came out of the account. I went to the branch with my card and cheque, intending to return it and pay what I owed. The teller said the account seemed to be closed, she couldn't take any payment and told me I was "quids in" and to keep the cheque.

About a month later, another debit came out my account. I called the call centre who told me my account was not closed which was why direct debits were still allowed to come out. I was advised to go into the branch to pay what I owed.

have to confess - I didn't go. I've now had two letters saying my overdraft has been decreased due to inactivity on the account, and a few days ago got a new Flexaccount card!! (Ps the standard letter I received back in dec 06 said that any attempt to to use my card after date of closure would be treated as fraud)

I would love to go back to Nationwide (so much better than Coop Visa Electron!). What's the best way to do this? Write? branch? Not the call centre...

I am wondering if this has happened because not long after this happened, it was deemed illegal/unfair (not sure which) to close accounts.

Hi Cazziebo!

Here are links to your other Threads about your initial Nationwide Claim...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/38094-nationwide-newbie.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/39757-cazzie-nationwide.html

When U transferred your current account dealings over to the Co-Op, why didn't U cancel any DD's that U had with the Nationwide at the time + set them up with the Co-Op instead??...:confused:

What were these DD's for??

Did U NOT think that the Requesting Creditor would want their money??

Some DD's can ONLY be cancelled by the Requesting Creditor.

Off the top of my head I can't remember which type, but U would have signed a waiver at some point to agree to it.

If U can afford it, I would advise U to pay off the remaining Nationwide O/D in FULL asap.

This will stop any adverse Credit Rating being placed on your Credit Report in the very near future etc.

No doubt your 'running' Nationwide O/D would have attracted Non/Late Payment Penalty Charges for the time that the DD's were being taken out, up to the present day?!

It is a case of simply a case of Re-claiming those Penalty Charges (...+ associated accrued interest!) like U have successfully done before.

Although I personally would use the N1 Form method of filing my Claim at Court, rather than use MCOL, cos U just know Nationwide will defend until the very last point.

(...MCOL is really ONLY worth bothering with, if there is more than an 80% chance that a Defendant WON'T contest a Claim btw)

Perhaps the VERY 1st thing to do however, is to double check that U HAVEN'T made any duplicate payments of which the DD's relate to.

If U have, U will have to get on to the Creditor to get your money back if the DD's were properly debited.

If they weren't, I would contact Nationwide asap about their re-imbursement, according to the Banking Code of Conduct re: DD's

U MAY have a retrospect case for seeking Compensation from Nationwide for the Closure of your Flexaccount, however U need to establish the current status of it, cos it certainly seems to be up + running to me?!

Have U had ANY statements from the Nationwide about this account since U thought that it had been closed??

Here is an Nationwide Thread from early last year...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/nationwide/61389-has-nationwide-closed-your.html

...Although some of the advice given MAY now be outdated, some of the Posts/Links are STILL pertinent methinks.

...:)

Thanks MTM

I did cancel all DDs with the exception of a quarterly one I'd completely forgotten about and one I'd missed - which was paid twice but just meant the loan was paid early.

The current OD is well within its limit so no charges and interest free.

I've decided to go into branch and ask - the branch staff are always so helpful whereas the call centre staff are less so. Although might be better off writing then I can quote the ruling on closing accounts?

I personally would 'Clear' the O/D asap, if U can at all.

That way they can't exert ANY leverage on U, by threatening to Cancel it as U go through the Re-claiming process again.

It would also STOP them being able to place an adverse Credit Rating re: Your account.

Am NOT aware that Nationwide currently have an 'Interest FREE' Authorised O/D??...:confused:

The status of your Flexaccount...i.e. Open or Closed, seems a tad grey-ish at the moment from the info that U have Posted.

The 'Flexaccount Card' that U have been recently sent, was it a basic CASH CARD, or an all-singing-+-dancing DEBIT CARD??

It MAY well be that internal wires got crossed many moons ago + that your 'original' Flexaccount was just 'Downgraded' to a basic Current Account, instead of actually being closed??

...Although, if that is the case, U SHOULDN'T be able to to have an O/D limit at all?!

It may well also pay U to get hold of a copy of your Credit Report from the CRA's as a matter of course, just to check to see if Nationwide have done anything untowards, that MAY affect U in the future.

In the meantime, if U have kept your nose clean with the Co-Op, why not approach THEM re: A Current Account 'Upgrade' to a DEBIT CARD etc etc??...:???:

...Just be wary that they would probably STILL do an overall Credit Check with the CRA's 1st, which will get recorded on your Credit Report + too many within a 6month period WILL count against U!...;)

many many thanks for all your help, Milk Tray Man. Really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

it's definitely a flexaccount card and the accompanying letter also says it's a flex.

I won't be doing any more reclaiming - no charges!

got my credit report from Experian and I'm monitoring it monthly at the moment as I'm trying to get a default removed - nothing to do with Nationwide. Nationwide don't have anything on my credit report.

You're right, I should clear the OD and I have the money to do so (in another Nationwide account (savings) ironically). I gave up because I couldn't make a payment at the branch and obviously I have no cheque book with the Co op account.

I'll try the branch and let you know how I get on.

thanks again

Cx

...The 'Flexaccount Card' that U have been recently sent, was it a basic CASH CARD, or an all-singing-+-dancing DEBIT CARD??

...it's definitely a flexaccount card and the accompanying letter also says it's a flex.
Both the CASH CARD AND DEBIT CARD would have 'Flexaccount' printed on it!!!...;)

...:cool:

Some DD's can ONLY be cancelled by the Requesting Creditor.

I am afraid that this is mis informed, you have the right to cancel payments going from your account, it is better to do it on writing, to save any argument later.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

IT appears claer from what you have written that the account is still open. Pay it off and go from there.

• Haha 1

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

IT appears claer from what you have written...
Nice one IDS...made me chuckle!...:lol:

Cazziebo...Perhaps U MAY want to use the fact (...once U have paid off your Nationwide O/D mind)...that U have a Nationwide DEBIT CARD, to consider other Bank's current accounts elsewhere, for a better deal for yourself??...:confused:

Certainly when I was looking around for a 'parachute' account originally, the main hinderance to me obtaining anything other than a 'Basic' current account, was that Nationwide had stripped me of MY DEBIT CARD, leaving me with only a CASH CARD.

I must have REALLY upset someone, cos that's STILL what I've got even now

...+ the Flexaccount that's still open hasn't been O/D for more than 18 months!...:(

:D :D :D Went into the branch today AND THE ACCOUNT IS FULLY ACTIVE! She said my overdraft limit has been decreased because there has been no deposits, however, if I wanted I could have that raised. So paid off the overdraft and my shiny new flexaccount card is in my purse.

I'm so happy - Visa Electron was terrible!

Still want to hang on to my Nationwide account MTM - I'm fighting with GE money over a default which they have wrongfully put on my account so right not my chances of getting anything above a basic account elsewhere are slim. I also like the free withdrawals abroad with the Nationwide card.

Thanks again for all your help and support!

Cheers! :-D

"I also like the free withdrawals abroad with the Nationwide card."

I know I'm going to sound like a shady salesman here but, honestly, I've saved myself a fortune in the past couple of years using this. If the dollar stays high I may have some of that too :)

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

• 1 month later...

Some DD's can ONLY be cancelled by the Requesting Creditor

Incorrect information.

You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by contacting your bank or building society. We also recommend you notify the organisation concerned.

Source-the Direct Debit Guarantee. (BACS)

Are you confusing direct debits with credit card continuous payment authorities which cannot be cancelled through the credit card but must be cancelled by the 'requesting creditor'. It is often difficult to get these cancelled and is the major reason that I never use this method of payment.

• Haha 1

Incorrect information.
It had already been pointed out earlier in the Thread pelham9.

Am sure that the OP + other peeps who read this Thread are thankful for your clarification + further helpful info though...:)

...Are you confusing direct debits with credit card continuous payment authorities which cannot be cancelled through the credit card but must be cancelled by the 'requesting creditor'...
Yes I was, unfortunately.

It has been many sleeps since I personally have had a Nationwide Debit Card.

I had confused myself with the VISA emblem on the Debit Card, with the one on the Credit Card...:rolleyes:

Just goes to show peeps the ease with which a well known Iconic Image can be imprinted on one's mind...:mad: