"Landlord" illegally subletting, Repossession Notice and Removal Notice, what to do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5955 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

in November last year I moved into a flatshare and still live there. At first everything seemed fine but as our washing machine broke it soon revealed that the guy who was pretending to be the owner of the property wasn't when the original landlord came along to install a new washing machine. He then also told me he'd not been around for a year and he'd not given permission to sublet to the guy renting out the rooms. This was followed by a repossesion notice last month, by which everybody has to leave by March 27th because the owner wants to refurbish and carry out neccessary repairs to prevent the property from being damaged more and more.

Fair enough my tenancy agreement with that guy subletting ended in March anyway, though my plans were due to move out mid-April when I planned to move to another city anyway. So I thougt I might just use a B&B for the last days... But now things changed, for one week now the central heating is not working, the guy subletting doesn't repair it and today we've received a Removal Notice due to unpaid Council Tax. It says that the Magistrates' Liability Order was datet to the 15/11/07 and there were £1,462.94 outstanding. It reads "our bailiffs are currently working in your area and will be attending your property with the intention of removing the possesions of (Subletter's Name) to the auction [...] for non payment of Council Tax. Goods may be removed in your absence."

So now I think he must have known this a long time ago (15/11/07) and he'll probably not pay "immediately." I know the bailiffs can't remove bed's, fridges, washing machines and clothes but there is all my stuff in my room like my computer, camera, etc. and I don't know if they can take them away? I mean when nobody's there, nobody can tell them it doesn't belong to (Subletter's Name)!?

The other thing is that I just feel like moving out asap, but am not sure this guy will give me back my deposit if I leave before the tenancy agreement ends, isn't he obliged to give it back to me as his subletting is illegal (also there are 8 people living here, where only 5 are allowed, thus it's fairly overcrowded)?

Would be so happy if you have any advice for me!