MOT / Tax Query

scorterooney
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5976 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Different thing. That is ONLY a pre-booked appointment for MOT or for repairs required for an MOT.

Parked car requires MOT and insurance certificate.

Pumbien v Vines (1995) June 14 Queen's Bench Divisional Court.

"A motor car parked on a road was being used on the road for the purposes of sections 47 and 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 even if it was totally immobilised and could only be moved by being dragged away, and, therefore, required both a valid MOT certificate and an insurance policy".

The Court so held in dismissing an appeal by way of case stated by Andee Pumbien against his conviction of offences of using a motor vehicle on a road without either a valid test certificate or insurance policy contrary to sections 47(1) and 143(1) of the 1988 act.

What on earth has any of that got to do with your statement that insurance is invalid if a vehicle has no current VED?

Car insurance has always (or at least as long as I can remember) needed insurance in order to get a tax disc.

Also, there are 3rd party risks involved in keeping cars on the road even when not being driven and these risks need to be insured.

One of the loop holes that has always existed with the tax disk system being used to indicate that a car has both MOT and insurance is that they only need to be valid on day of issue of the tax disk. Both may run out within days yet the TAX disk would still indicate that all was in order.

I have alwyas thought that MOT disks would be a good idea (and insurance disks, but that has difficulties).

Of course this is changing with the insurance and MOT data being available on line.

Of the 3 (tax, mot and insurance) I have always thought the tax was the least important as it has least benefit to third aprties should an accident occur.

Car insurance has always (or at least as long as I can remember) needed insurance in order to get a tax disc.

Yes, you're probably right, but the emphasis seems to have changed. I consider insurance should cover a person behind the wheel, no matter how many cars they have or who owns the vehicle. I have classic bike insurance and it does allow me to ride anything that doesn't belong to me... but it still requires that the bikes I have are registered with them, and thus with the police, as insured objects.

Also, there are 3rd party risks involved in keeping cars on the road even when not being driven and these risks need to be insured.

I give up - what can a car do to a third party that a trailer or caravan couldn't do? I'd say insurance would be more useful if you wanted to insure for theft/damage.

I give up - what can a car do to a third party that a trailer or caravan couldn't do? I'd say insurance would be more useful if you wanted to insure for theft/damage.

Hehe - as an example, albeit a rare occurance, someone I knew had a car catch fire in the middle of the night whilst parked on the road outside his house. The car had not been driven for some weeks and there was no-one around to accuse of arson.

The fire damaged the road surface and the car parked in front. I don't know if the council claimed on his insurance for the repairs to the road (I think they should've), but the guy who owned the car in front did.

Mike