latest news on the oft case?

stevenazari
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5952 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

its starting this month isnt it? god its felt like forever! whats the exact date? I can stop worrying over it then :p

Preliminary Letter Sent: 14/09/2006

Letter Before action sent: 05/10/2006

Recieved Response: 05/11/2006

MCOL filled and saved (saving money to proceed) 02/12/2006

Recieved 1st Settlement offer

Yep.. next Monday is the big day. I think it is due to run for about 8 days.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

hehe man I hope the oft do a number on them I can get my money back then :( 2 years is a long wait!

Preliminary Letter Sent: 14/09/2006

Letter Before action sent: 05/10/2006

Recieved Response: 05/11/2006

MCOL filled and saved (saving money to proceed) 02/12/2006

Recieved 1st Settlement offer

To: [EDIT - CONTACT DETAILS REMOVED]

Sent: Friday, January 11, 2008 1:56 PM

Subject: Public will be excluded from OFT/Banks test case because of small room

NEWS RELEASE FROM BOB EGERTON (BOB THE BANKBUSTER)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 11 January 2008

OFT/BANKS TEST CASE TO BE HELD IN SMALL ROOM - OFT SPOKESMAN "DID NOT REALISE" ROOM ONLY BIG ENOUGH FOR 6 MEMBERS OF PUBLIC

Next Wednesday 16 January, the OFT and Britain's high street banks are due to meet in a High Court battle which will decide whether or not the banks are operating an unlawful charging regime. The case is of great public interest as it could result in the banks having to repay £20 billion or more to about 10 million customers. It has now been revealed that the case will be heard in a room at the International Dispute Resolution Centre in Fleet Street and that there will be space for precisely 11 members of the press and the public. A spokesperson for the centre said that entry will be on a first come first served basis but that the space will be divided roughly equally between the press and the public; and passes will be issued separately for morning and afternoon sessions. This means that, at most, 6 members of the public will be able to attend and no-one will be able to attend a full day. It will be impossible, therefore, for any one person to obtain a complete picture of the proceedings. It will also mean that many newspaper and television/radio reporters will excluded.

A spokesperson for the OFT claimed today that he "did not realise that the room would only hold this number of people".

Bob Egerton, bank charges campaigner, said, "This case is a great embarrassment to the OFT. It has exposed the institutional weakness within the OFT where it is effective at curbing unlawful behaviour by small businesses, but it does not have the stomach for a fight against the big corporations like the banks. By holding the case in such a small room, no member of the public will be able to sit through the whole case; and much of Britain's media will be excluded. The OFT is no doubt hoping that the case will receive little press coverage and that it will all quietly fizzle out. However, I and the many other campaigners will ensure that this issue does not die. We will continue to fight the banks over this issue whatever the outcome of a meeting in a tiny room in London."

For further information, contact:

[PERSONAL CONTACT INFORMATION REMOVED]

Rob Williamson, leader of the case team at the OFT

International Dispute Resolution Centre, who can confirm the details of the room, 020 7936 7000

IDRC - Dispute Resolution, Arbitration, Mediation & Conferencing Facilities

:mad:

It has now been revealed that the case will be heard in a room at the International Dispute Resolution Centre in Fleet Street and that there will be space for precisely 11 members of the press and the public. A spokesperson for the centre said that entry will be on a first come first served basis but that the space will be divided roughly equally between the press and the public; and passes will be issued separately for morning and afternoon sessions. This means that, at most, 6 members of the public will be able to attend and no-one will be able to attend a full day. It will be impossible, therefore, for any one person to obtain a complete picture of the proceedings. It will also mean that many newspaper and television/radio reporters will excluded.

And no reporter will get a complete picture of the proceedings effectively conducting the case behind closed doors !!!

Just a thought here guys but ermmmmmmmmm there is no reason why this cannot be televised and boradcast to a much larger meeting room!!! or conference centre.....

After all we are talking London here one of the finanical hubs of the world!!! not to mention being the prime legal center for the eniter uk.....this is not just about the uk...... given that evidence from Irish and Australian cases has been cited............ this is a WORLD WIDE TOPIC......

look at the irony of where it is being held "FLEET STREET"

rockin all over the world

Apparently it's being aired on Breakfast TV on Monday morning.......

That should get it passed around a bit.:)

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Scoobz, really we need all CAG members even the general debt people who are not claiming bank charges. Emails are free and take very little time. Many one of the site helpers or MODS could get this to them too? One of the threads here does not really matter as long as they understand what to do...