style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6519 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

Our tenancy agreement expired on 20/6/2006. On the 1st May 2006 we were offered in writing a further 12 month tenancy at an increased rent. We declined the offer in writing, but said we were willing to discuss alternatives. We then provisionally agreed on or about 20/5/2006 over the telephone to a 6 month contract at the new rate subject to receiving the actual contract. When the rent became due on the 20th of June we paid the old rate as we had not received the new contract. Finally on the 27th of June a new contract has arrived accompanied by a letter asking us for the arrears. It is not a particularly large amount of money, but should we have to pay it? Surely a rent increase does not come into effect until a contract has been issued..

Any comments welcome.

Sorry to be harsh but just pay the rent... is it really worth all the hassle having a fight about something you agreed upon?

Your new agreement will start as the old one expires.

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

Thanks for the reply, and yes, you do sound rather harsh. But hey, lets not worry about that.......... the thing that really winds me up about my landlady is the way she speaks to you. She always acts like she's doing us this great big favour. She had at least a month to arrange for a new contract to be sent to us but for whatever reason this did not materialise. Then the minute she feels done out of 50 quid there is a new contract sitting on our doormat with a letter telling us we are in arrears. In my eyes we are not in arrears until the new tenancy comes into effect and surely it can't come into effect without us even seeing it let alone signing it. I probably will pay her without fighting her, but it seems to me she always wants her cake, not only with jam but also with cream in it, and I just wanted to know the position legally.

Kind regards,

AP

Well then have a poo under the floorboards when you eventually leave hehehe

Just the FAQ’s ma'am. Please read 'em thoroughly before jumping in. Cheers :)

Find all the letters under the rainbow here

Being a man, I am always right (however I will make no admission of liability if you have misinterpreted my instructions!! :) ) If you are in any doubt, then consult a professional. All opinions offered on this site are just that, and should not be taken as legal advice.

Halifax - £1400 reclaimed. Now on a crusade to help others!

Hi all!

austenpowers,in reply to your posting and to be perfectly honest and blunt with you:

1.I totally agree with pmhread here as once your old tenancy expired the new one replaced it.

2.Pay the money because you legally owe it.

If you are unhappy with your landlady - find another property and move out by the end of the new six month tenancy agreement.

You could also enhance the floorboards prior to departure as pmhread has suggested!

Anyway,I hope you have found this information/suggestions useful.

If you have any more questions,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like I'll have to pay then, just don't like being told I'm in arrears when I always pay the rent on time without any sort of trouble , yet if I ever want anything from her then it's a big fight to get her to do it. If the new contract had been with us on time and we were happy with it there would have been no question, the standing order would have been changed and that would have been that. It feels to me that she's the one at fault here but it appears not.

Now, as for the poo idea. Maybe I'll get my 18 month old to do one of his specials....:D :D :D

• 4 weeks later...