Controlled Zone Issues

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A Controlled Zone in Westminster is signed as being in operation Mon-Sat 8:30am - 6:30pm and the pay and display and meter bays have these operating times shown on the machines.

The residents' bays in the zone, however, are signed to say Mon-Sun 8:30am - 8:30pm.

Is my understanding correct that the residents' bays cannot exist without the controlled zone? How is it possible for the residents' bays to have more expansive time of operation than the zone itself?

Further, some of the main entrances to the zone have no signs giving warning of the zone itself or the times. What is the impact of this?

Finally can someone kindly point me to where the laws/regs for all this is written up?

Thanks

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

• 4 months later...

An update on this one.

A FOI request to Westminster for the TRO revealed that contrary to the signage the residents' bays are only in operation Monday to Saturday (ie not Sunday as signed).

Response to NTO completed and 56 days with no response now elapsed so looks like I'm in the clear! (RTA 1991 S71(6)).

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

But isn't it crooked that they are probably taking money from motorists who believe what the councils tell them!

But isn't it crooked that they are probably taking money from motorists who believe what the councils tell them!

Not really the sign does say no parking on Sunday except residents, I very much doubt anyone would read the TMO before parking so they have ignored the sign at their own risk. If they pay they obviously realise the sign is intended to prohibit parking and admit their guilt. I can see your point but signs are put up for a reason, it would be foolish just to ignore ALL road signs and markings on the off chance the paperwork had not been completed properly. The Highway code for example says you must not park on yellow lines it doesn't say you can park on them until you have checked the TMO is correct. However if they are foolish enough not to complete the required paperwork anyone can as you have challenge the ticket.

Not really the sign does say no parking on Sunday except residents, I very much doubt anyone would read the TMO before parking so they have ignored the sign at their own risk. If they pay they obviously realise the sign is intended to prohibit parking and admit their guilt.

You just don't get it G & M. The sign was incorrectly put up and the council are happily letting their wardens ticket cars and taking the money for it. That is taking the cash under false pretences in my book.

I find it amazing that a person who as a courier would routinely go to court when you were reported by police, regardless of whether or not you were in the right, is backing the local authorities on an issue that is nothing but dishonesty on their part.

Not really the sign does say no parking on Sunday except residents, I very much doubt anyone would read the TMO before parking so they have ignored the sign at their own risk. If they pay they obviously realise the sign is intended to prohibit parking and admit their guilt. I can see your point but signs are put up for a reason, it would be foolish just to ignore ALL road signs and markings on the off chance the paperwork had not been completed properly. The Highway code for example says you must not park on yellow lines it doesn't say you can park on them until you have checked the TMO is correct. However if they are foolish enough not to complete the required paperwork anyone can as you have challenge the ticket.

Contextually, the residents bays as signed operate for a longer period than the P&D bays, the meters and the yellow lines within the CPZ. Whatever the legal rights and wrongs, I feel that it is only morally right to expect that the only parking restrictions to apply in a CPZ outside the CPZ operational times are those that apply on a 24/7 basis.

Dilapidated, missing or incorrect traffic signs can only be seen as an indication that the relevant authorities or agencies have little concern for road users.

Traffic Management And Parking Guidance For London

http://www.gos.gov.uk/497417/docs/204399/tmpg.pdf