unauthorized overdraft charges from natwest

tizonlyme
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi all,

this is my first post so go easy on me, i am in a bit of a dilemma and need some advice as i have a current account with nat west which was opened last year, and a direct debit came out early which left me about £3 overdrawn, but they charged me £35 and then another £28, i am on a low income and couldn't pay the charges (got scared)so i cancelled all my direct debits and reset them up on my lloyds account, no problem. But i was kinda stupid and forgot all about my little problem (burying my head in the sand)at NatWest and they have caught up with me and landed me with a £376 overdraft all from their charges for that first charge they made,(kept charging me with unauthorized borrowing fees and interest) now they want me to pay back this amount, threatening me with sending someone round to collect the money,any advice about what i could do as like i said i am on a low income with 3 small children, i have greatly learned my lesson that running away from a problem increases it, and now i want to face it. Someone told me i could reclaim them as it's unlawful but i don't know whether i could because i ran away from the problem and feel that it is my fault coz i ignored it, and someone else told me to write to them and tell them to freeze all interest and charges and i should make regular installments into the account until it has cleared.

I have paid no money into this account since i cancelled all my direct debits.

I will greatly appreciate any replies to this, i want to face this headon and be rid of this debt.

thanks

Hi tiz, and welcome to the NatWest forum.

In the first instance, I would write to the manager of your branch and point out that the whole 'debt' is caused by one £3 overdraft, that you are on benefit and would he/she like to remove the charges.

I put the word 'debt' in quotes because I don't believe this is a legitimate debt. The £3 was but the £373 is not because the charges are unlawful. Unfortunately, you may be aware, that there is currently a test case going on and no courts are prepared to deal with bank charge cases at the moment. (THis isn't quite true but it would take a lot of effort and there is not much chance of success anyway).

And don't let them intimidate you. They cannot just 'send someone round'. They need to get a court order. If they try that, we'll help you see them off.

Keep us posted.

I agree with steven. Dont panic! Easy to say i suppose but I am in the same situation with Lloyds TSB. I am refusing to pay any money into my account as they took a charge without notifying me and then they added more! I have complained to the bank and they are 'dealing' with it! You need to start the ball rolling by sending off the first letter on here asking for the money back. Then you just take it from there, it can take ages (9 months in my case with cap 1) but as long as you are in dispute they cant do much. Have a good read through this forum and we will all help! Good Luck.