Claim against my GP?

Nige1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This might take a while so please bear with me -

Back in 2001 I was in perfect health. I applied for life insurance and as is common the Life insurance company wrote to my GP with my permission to enquire as to my health.

It seems that my GP sat on the letter for about 10 days before replying.

During that time I had an accident that left me perminently disabled and under the terms of the Insurance Policy I would have been eligible for sizable payment.

I currently find myself in a low paid job (which I love BTW) but had my GP send the letter in a timely fashion, the likelihood is that I would have had life insurance in place at the time of my accident.

I realise now, nearly 7 years later after speaking to a Health Care Professional about it at a social function that I may have a claim against my GP although isn't there a 3 year limitation on this kind of thing?

Also, I really can't afford to be without a GP as I'm on regular meds. Can you be blacklisted (officially or unofficially)

Any help or advice would be appreciated

I think even if the limitation doesn't apply the question of what is reasonable in terms of dealing with correspondance will be difficult. I think most organisations would deem 14 days to be reasonable.

Would the insurance have paid out from day 1 of cover? They often have an exclusion for the first weeks. Life insurance tends to cover death not injury/disability.

It may be worth a try as you have nothing to lose and you can cope with the hassle. The GP will have insurance to cover claims against him so wouldn't lose personally. It may affect your relationship with him but you can go to another GP.

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!