HELP..Bank incorrectly debited account after standing order cancelled, £400

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6055 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Please could someone help me.

My bank has just admitted that they made a mistake in not cancelling my standing order 20weeks ago. i have been making payments of £20 per week for 20 weeks that should never have been paid.

They have (so generously) given me back the £400..BUT HAVE SAID THEY SHALL TAKE IT BACK IN 2WEEKS TIME!! It is then up to me to recover the money from the person who was paid. WHICH WAS AN EX LANDLORD WHO NOW I CAN NOT FIND.

Please can someone advise me on whether this is right.

Many thanks

Katie. xx

Hi KT, I dont understand, if the bank have admitted to making a mistake and have returned the money to you, it should be up to them to persue the ex landlord for the monies owed. Why have they said that they will take it back in 2 weeks time and which bank is it?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

It is Alliance and Leicester,

They have said that due to Data Protection act they were unable to recover the funds as the bank it was credited to was at Nationwide Building society!! and apparently it was a "friend or family". Not sure where they got that from but that is what they have said.

thanks for your reply.

katie.xx

Well I am not sure about this, If it was there mistake then that should be an end to it, you shouldnt have to pay for their mistake.

So the payee, was he a friend or family, but I dont think that that should make any difference, you cancelled the SO (I presume in writing) and the debited incorrectly.

I would open a parachute account and see about moving all payments and bills over whilst you get this sorted, I have asked others to come and look at this also

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Call them and TELL them that you want the money, back asap, they can pay you out of the suspense fund untill they recall the money.

Idiots!

You'll get it back don't fret.

July this year, it appears i lost 126.00 to a company, after having cancelled my DD SO's, i called 2 days ago, and the money was put back right away. Read BACS advice. Corporate homepage

** Credentials **

10 Years Finance Fraud Investigator

5 Year High Court Sheriffs

2 Years Tip Staff Royal Courts

Currently : HMCS Enforcement Officer

Many thanks for your help.

He wasn't friend or family, but nor was he a company..just simply a private let. I also dont see the relevence of it.

They said they are taking the money back on the 12th of November. What is the bleeding point of giving it to me??

I rang up to cancel, which they have telephone records of, hence admitting fault.

Katie. xx

Surly their fault, they have to pay.

Precisely my thoughts, I would pop into your branch and ask them why they think they can do what they want to do, speak to the manager and if you get no joy take it further, check out the Banking Code (google) and see what it says.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Hi, thanks for all the advice.

just thought id say that i have been onto the F.O.S and they are investigating it for me. They have said that in no circumstances can the bank take back the money. They were shocked at the poor reason of why the bank were going to take it back, i.e it was a friend or family!! So thank you again.

Katie.xx

Hi Katie, please come back and let us know how you get on, really interested in this, cheeky beggers!!

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled