Help!

missbeliever
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6070 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there everyone,

I've fairly recently discovered this site and have read everything I can but am still confused I'm afraid:(

It started in July, when A&L charged me £25 for going over my overdraft by a small sum ( I can't remember exactly how much, but I do have all my statements saved). I didn't realise as it is a secondary account, and so got charged another £25. And then another, and then another. My wages went back in and everything was fine. However, on the 24th September I was charged another two lots of £25 at once, and I had no idea what for. I rung up their customer services dept and was informed by the lady that she had no idea what they were for either, and it would be investigated. Today, I go a threatening letter demanding that I pay the £49.90 i am over my overdraft by (the £50 they took out on 24 sept did this) so I rung again and was informed that this £50 goes back to the charges from July! So it appears that I have now been charged £150 for going over my overdraft once. And because I have been charged in sept and this caused me to go over until october, I will be charged next month as well. And potentially the month after.

I am utterly at a loss as to what to do. Should I pay off everything, close my account and then start the claim? Or just keep paying in enough to cover the fees and claim with the account open? And will I get anywhere anyway with this test case? Any help would be so greatly appreciated, this is really all completley alien to me. x

Hi, missbeliever, I can only offer my own opinion on what I'd do if I were in your position, you must make your own decision on what is right for you.

In your circumstances, if I didn't need the account I'd pay off the outstanding charges and close it ASAP so that I didn't accrue any more charges.

Open or closed shouldn't make any difference to claims in the future.

Unless you are suffering hardship (your post doesn't make any hint that you are), it may be just as easy at the moment to wait to see what becomes of the big "Court Case" that is underway.

I repeat this is only MHO though. :cool:

Yes I agree if you can pay off the charges and clear the debt thaen do so - for that amount you can start proceedinngs which will go on hold - or go in the pile of complaints at the FOS ( no court costs) you will still have to wait but it will put them under pressure and I am sure they have to acknowledge your complaint - You will still have to write to the A&L to let them know what you are doing.

JAn

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE