Keep getting letters for someone else

joetay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6074 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Over the past year I have receievd numerous letters from the same few companies for someone at my address with a similar name to mine but clearly not mine. I have returned to sender numerous times and they keep coming. I got fed up and opened them so I can ring the senders to tell them that these debts are not mine but the letters keep coming. One of the letters I recieved yesterday at my address for this other person was on behalf of Thames Credit from Buchananclark + Wells threatening a visit from a debt investigation officer. Another one was from Parkgate Investigation Bureau stating that as the named person had failed to make arrangements they have been instructed to open enquiries into your current position and that they would be sending doorstep collectes around. It goes without saying that I am furious and concerned that I am being linked to these people and that my address and this person they think lives here is going to be financialy investigated. Can someone please advise as this is getting ridiculous and worrying.

Go to your local post office and fill in a form which redirects mail back to the sender if it isn't your name. This is quite effective. It is better than you being accused of 'stealing mail' which happened to me when I accidentaly opened a letter in my mail for a previous owner. I rang the company concerned and they wanted to know why I opened the mail and I could be prosecuted by them... I said 'try it' and nothing happened.

'stealing mail'
Indeed! It is a summary criminal offence under the Postal Services Act 2000 to open or otherwise interfere with a mail packet addressed to another.

Personally, I have no qualms about writing "not known" in marker pen and shoving it in a post box, they will and do get fed up... Eventually.

Good luck, Dave.

Thanks for the advice I will give it a try. God help anyone who turns up at my door from one of these firms though. I understand the comments relating to stealing someones mail but surely I have a right to know what's going on if someone is being linked to my address and letters obviously from different companies keep landing on my mat even though I have retuned as 'never or not known at this address'.

Cheers!

Have to agree with DMD. It is an offence to open mail addressed to someone else.

Given the situation and similar names however, and certain DCAs embarking on phishing trips, you should return all further mail with a stern letter outlining thier mistake. Send this reorded keeping a copy for your records.

Good luck and best wishes.