insurance renewal

pixxie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I can understand the posts here may well come across as cynical but it only takes a couple of bad expereinces to cause a large change in your view of a certain organisation or industry.

Agreed. I used to have broadband with virgin media/NTL and never had a problem with them for years. Once i tried to cancel it all went pear shaped and i'd never ever recommend them to anyone again based purely on the bad experience i had. But that doesn't mean that i think all broadband providers are [problem] artists are out to con me.

I think sometimes you just have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

• 5 years later...

Felthouse Vs Bindley is indeed correct on this one.

What anyone from the insurance industry who is posting here should perhaps comment on is the following. If one rings the insurers and refuses to pay the following has been heard:

'it is our policy to automatically renew.' They have no right to do this without acceptance. (beware querying payments months afterwards - payments area construed as acceptance. Ensure sure you have stopped payments to them.

'it is illegal to drive a car on the roads without insurance' The authority for enforcing this is not vested in insurance companies. We have a legal framework for enforcing this.

Perhaps the most important point for comment from any industry insider is that when one rings they are able to check the common insurance database in a matter of seconds to ascertain that a vehicle has been insured elsewhere. If they can do this over the phone when the bill is queried why can they not automate the process before commencing legal action?

It is quite simply yet another area of law and ethics being abused by some insurers.

Every year I get a renewal notice and ring my insurers to negotiate. Every year once we've agreed a premium and I give them payment details they attempt a high speed scripted spiel telling me it will automatically be renewed. Every year I tell them they do not have continuous authority to raid my bank a/c just because I have given them card details for a one off payment. Every year I have to ask for confirmation in writing that they have understood my instructions because the person on the end of the phone argues. I reckon it would be a whole lot cheaper for them to let me send them a cheque :-)