Cabot claimform - old Citi Card 'debt' **SETTLED BY TOMLIN**

gettingsorted
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3513 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gs

(haven't read through all, but in brief)

re charging order - this could only be applied for once there is a ccj against and the terms of the ccj have not been adhered to. ie enforcement of an ccj.

civil ev act - you asked for confirmation of this in your 18 letter. this refers to the authenticity of any docs (rather than enforceability, legality of any docs for eg) that they have from the the o/c. ie they say that what they have is an authentic 'record' of what the o/c has/d. for court approval.

cpr 33 - relates to hearsay evidence. so, they say that they will comply with requirements of any hearsay ev. that they will rely on. ie will notify/serve a witness statement as required.

imo

Edited by Ford

Hi Ford - thanks for getting back to me - I need to look at your reply and at the letters I sent see if they have answered me and given me the proper answers ............just a quick question though.

You say

this refers to the authenticity of any docs (rather than enforceability, legality of any docs for eg) that they have from the the o/c. ie they say that what they have is an authentic 'record' of what the o/c has/d. for court approval.
Does this mean that they are confirming that Citi have the executed agreement together with any other documentation they plan to rely on in court; if that is the case I SAR'd citi when this all started and received very little back; no copy correspondence, a note saying that the notes to the account had been purged, a copy of the I & E I sent them when I told them I was in difficulty and copy statements; can I get them to tell me what documents they plan to rely on in court ? as it seems to me that Citi had very little. I have attempted on numerous occassions to get an executed agreement.

They also mention that Cabot have not charged any charges or PPI to the account (true) but Citi did; if I try to claim them back who do I go to ?

Thank you

GS

hi

my view (open to correction of course :))

is that they are saying under civ ev act that the docs that have been passed on to them are an 'authentic' 'record' from the o/c.

docs relied on should follow when there is standard disclosure. although, generally now, they should've mentioned these with the letter before claim.

if there is missold ppi, then claim that back. the bankers have conceded on this following recent case law. go to o/c website. they should have info on there re missold ppi. or go to the fos website for info. this would of course adversely affect the amount they are claiming. if it is still outstanding at the time, then put it in defence.

imo

Edited by Ford
typo

Thank you for your opinion, much appreciated. So sorry to come back again but are they telling that they have given me all they've got and that they will have a witness statement saying that "these" are the documents they are relying on ? If they have anything else will I get to see it before I get to court. What about the fact that they have never confirmed nor denied that they have an executed copy of the agreement despite many requests from me. We are then back to same old arguement is a recon enforceable ? Note - dates on the recon are not the same as the account opening date on the info just received.

Yes there is mis sold PPI and charges on the account; do I go to the OC about this or Cabot especially as Cabot have stated that they have not made any charges or PPI on the account. Am I admitting the debt if I claim ?

Thank you

GS

They should not be permitted to "ambush " you with documents in court that they should have provided to you previously.

I am surprised that they are saying that it is "standard practice" to destroy information after 6 years, when the money laundering act states that it should be kept for a minimum of 5-6 years AFTER the business relationship has closed.. in the case of a credit card, which doesnt close until the final payment has been made and the account is no longer operational, then they should be keeping the paperwork for a lot longer.

I think the solicitor is wrong in stating that they dont have to provide proof of posting in respect of the NoA as that is supposed to be sent by recorded (previously registered) post.. in which case they SHOULD have proof of posting/receipt. Unless you have received the NoA and admited receiving it.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This is the key point... the transfer is not effective until the debtor receives notification of it, this must be in the form of the NoA, hence if you've not received it and they cant prove it was received via recorded delivery slip then the transfer is ineffective and the person taking you to court has no standing before the court... the debt is still owned by the previous owner IMHO.

S.

Thank you both

They should not be permitted to "ambush " you with documents in court that they should have provided to you previously
how can I get them to say what they've got ? Can I use the fact that they have not supplied me with them as part of my defence ?

I am surprised that they are saying that it is "standard practice" to destroy information after 6 yearslink3.gif, when the money laundering act states that it should be kept for a minimum of 5-6 years AFTER the business relationship has closed.. in the case of a credit card, which doesnt close until the final payment has been made and the account is no longer operational, then they should be keeping the paperwork for a lot longer.
Last payment was made in late 2006.

I cannot deny that I had a NOA (of a sort) ! First contact with "Citi" since 2006/2007

gs

re disclosure - when/if it comes to that, they should disclose a list of docs they intend to rely on. and, you will then be entitled to 'inspect' these docs if required.

but, as i understand it, they have responded to your 31.14 and 18 with what they believe satisfies and therefore what they would rely on in the main. if they do not have a signed doc that contains all of the prescribed terms as required by s127 cca (if applicable), then bear in mind that they may try and rely on a recon in satisfaction of s127. also, a recon in satisfaction of a cca request should be accurate (see the kotecha/phoenix case for eg)

was there a compliant default notice? (see the Harrison case for eg, but note the forthcoming brandon appeal judgement)

imo

Edited by Ford
typo

Thanks ford for getting back to me - yet again - your help is much appreciated.-

if they do not have a signed doc that contains all of the prescribed terms as required by s127 cca (if applicable), then bear in mind that they may try and rely on a recon in satisfaction of s127. also, a recon in satisfaction of a cca request should be accurate (see the kotecha/phoenix case for eg)

I suspect that they are intending to rely on a recon - I posted them up earlier in the thread

.....will do some reading up and get my defence drafted over the weekend.

GS

Thanks shadow I plan to - one of my points is that they have never confirmed nor denied that they have a copy of the signed executed agreement despite several requests, also that the date on the recon is not the same as the account opening date; also that I would never have signed a further agreement 12 months after notifying them that I was having problems. I think I am going to head down the road of the agreement not being enforceable ?? because they do not have a signed executed agreement. I am going to be very careful about saying that the recons are not valid becaise they do not have the prescribed terms as I am unsure at the moment what the prescribed terms are.......someone said previously that Citi recons were notorious for not being correct but I have not being able to get anything to compare them to . There are other things I plan to add to the defence ........

Thanks again for the advice - much appreciated; the support you are giving is invaluable.

GS

gs

re s127 (if applicable - was repealed wef '07 but still applicable for agreements prior to 04/07) -

this is a previous HC quote from PT2537 re s127 http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...fence-stack-up

'The consequence of a ruling such as this is to provide(MY CLIENT) with a windfall and I am conscious of the unfairness in one sense that that may lead to. I was taken in the course of argument to the speech of Lord Nicholls in the case of Wilson and Others v The Secretary of State for Trade and Industry [2003] UKHL, 40. At paragraphs 71 and 72 he recognises that the consequences of the provisions of section 127(3) can indeed lead to drastic, even harsh, consequences for a lender who loses all his rights under the agreement. It is an unattractive feature sometimes, for it involves punishing the blameless pour encourager les autres. But Lord Nicholls’ view was that Parliament had singled out some obligations as having such importance that non-compliance would lead automatically and inflexibly to a ban on the making of an enforcement order whatever the circumstances, and that those obligations were specified in sections 127(3) and (4). Parliament, he said, had chosen deliberately to exclude consideration of what is just and equitable in the particular case. Lord Scott echoed what he said at paragraph 164 of his speech.'

as shadow suggests, this would require careful argument! would it still stand?

the carey case technically relates to recons being able to satisfy a cca request. and, the kotecha case suggests that any recon in re of a cca request must be accurate.

imo

Edited by Ford
typo

Just to clarify s127(3) was repealed in CCA2006 BUT from 6th April 2007. Agreements pre that date are fair game for claiming s127(3).

S.

cheers :) (i should've clarified. date amended)

I've asked for someone more knowledgeable than me on the site team (ie just about anyone!) to take a look for you.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

It looks fine,as long as you have filed on time

with the court your OK, just RD copy to the creditor.

Brig.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thank you both for your replies- what abou the bit about contacting citi ? in or out ?

Must add that I have copy letters and proof of delivery for my requests.

northampton says I do not have to send a copy to creditor ???? will file online late tonight or tomorrow and if I can't my partner will drive it there !!!

Nesta

The court will send it to the creditor, but these

day I like the belt and braces route as we here

about docs not being sent out from the court.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Just nitpicking..

Point 5 : you have put "entailed" when it should be "entitled"

You might want to put Data Subject Access Request rather than SAR.. saves having to explain things .. If you are going to refer to it more than once then you can put.. Data Subject Access Request (DSAR) then you can use the acronym subsequently.

Other than that, it looks ok to me.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ok... just had a quick gander...

1)

a)Isnt the further agreement due to a variation? this varying of the account would not require you to sign anything.

Change "Carey whise HHJ" to "Carey where HHJ"

2) The date on the said reconstructed agreement (1) is the xxxxxxx but the raw data from Citi Cards states that the account opening date was the xxxxxxxxxx. Thus the reconstructed agreement even fails the tests laid out in Carey vs HSBC in regarding the honest and true test (at work so cant look up the paras but its mentioned the minimum requirements for a reconstruction, this will need to be quoted) let alone and attempt to use this reconstruction in enforcement actions not covered in Carey vs HSBC.

3) as 1a) above, I'm not sure they are saying you signed a further agreement, when agreements are varied they have to send you the original contract plus the varied... the fact these are reconstructions would lead me to guess that one is the original terms contract and the other the varied terms contract.

4) change "before demandig payment" to "before demanding payments not presently due"

5) Are you saying you received no default notice???? thats different to "any default notice in the prescribed format" which indicates you have not received a default notice in the prescribed format but you may have received other non compliant default notices.

7) List attempts and dates and methods of postage!!!!!

9) & 11) If you have not received statements or a balance of account after 2007 then they are not entitled to ask for interest (thats now in CCA2006)... for any 12 month period they dont provide a statement of account they CANNOT add interest.